New Yamaha Motif XF

• Members

A Joy Stick?

I think not. :cop:

Edit: It also has a custom screen setup. Its somewhat limited but Yamaha said XS and ES users complained about not being able to read the screen when sunlight hit the previous screens, Nice idea, hope it works.

Mike T.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
A Joy Stick?

I think not.
:cop:

Edit: It also has a custom screen setup. Its somewhat limited but Yamaha said XS and ES users complained about not being able to read the screen when sunlight hit the previous screens, Nice idea, hope it works.

Mike T.

Why not? A joystick does two things at once when needed, unlike separate pitch & modulation wheels. Sometimes notes require pitch & vibrato simultaneously, and that's where a joystick is nice to have [using the index finger only as opposed to index & thumb for example]. The other joystick advantage is: it's easier to move the pitch in the X-axis ather than the Y-axis.

My Yamaha has wheels. When I record notes that need both pitch & vibrato, I always end up recording the vibrato separately after recording the piece [by arming the same MIDI track again in Sonar, hitting "Record" and waiting for the part where the vibrato is needed then moving the modulation wheel accordingly]. I would rather do everything at once because things sound more realistic/natural when played on the fly, live. [That is, for music requiring realism].

I did have a synth that had a joystick before [Roland U-20] and it was much easier to use.

This, of course, is what works for me. Others don't like to have a joystick, and I'm sure they have their reasons, just like I do:)

-----------------------------

Sunlight hitting the LCD? Who would let that happen to their synth?

Sounds like those users like to skip the first page of their manuals:

"Do not expose the instrument to excessive dust or vibrations, or extreme cold or heat (such as in direct sunlight, near a heater, or in a car during the day) to prevent the possibility of panel disfiguration or damage to the internal components."

• Members

Oh yeah. (I had to stop and think for a minute about what you were referring to.) I supposed I should record it.

I wouldn't have done all of this if I didn't like it.

A first in KSS history - 47 different pianos playing your MIDI file:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2015813&page=5

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2015813&page=6

• Members
Hopefully they will release a rack version, in black, in about 6-12 months.

:thu:

Here Burster!

And the display is free for you since you had me going! [optional for everybody else, lol]. It can be used with all 3 keyboard versions, too:)

burstrack.png

P.S: forgot something important on it.

• Members

I wonder how they'll handle the XFR. Will they keep it strictly a rompler like the previous Motif racks? Or, will they allow users to load samples and use flash ram boards?

Most likely it'll be a 1U rompler with nothing else. Just like previous Motif Racks.

• Members

Most likely it'll be a 1U rompler with nothing else. Just like previous Motif Racks.

Kinda defeats the purpose of calling it the X 'F' R then, don't you think?

It would be cool if they at least allowed you to install flash boards for playback. Then it would be like a "build your own rompler" kind of thing.

• Members
It would be cool if they at least allowed you to install flash boards for playback.

Technically, a rack will is a separate model called Motif-Rack (ES, XS etc) with quite a different UI and features, however I'd guess Motif-Rack XF will actually do feature flash memory expansion, it would make a lot of sense for a studio rack unit.

• Members

If the Fantom XR is a 1U rack synth with sampling capabilities and it can take 6 expansion cards on top of that, there's no reason Yamaha couldn't do the Flash concept in it 5 years after Roland crammed all of that into that 1U.

Nobody touches the Korg M3-M though, that's what a rack synth should be like, interface-wise. I'm looking forward to Korg's answer to the Motif XF :thu:

• Members
I beg to differ, you could install plug-in cards in both Motif-Rack and Motif-Rack ES.

Technically, a rack will is a separate model called Motif-Rack (ES, XS etc) with quite a different UI and features, however I'd guess Motif-Rack XF will actually do feature flash memory expansion, it would make a lot of sense for a studio rack unit.

Oh right, the crap PLG cards. Forgot about them, got the T-shirt but didn't where it much.

They never did the RAM or sampling in other racks, so I'd be surprised to see the Flash. But hey who knows!:blah:

• Members
I am sure you know why (weighted key action)

Its always a balance between looks/size and action of the weighted keys. They obviously do not want to compromise.

Well, why can my A-80 and A-90 be even smaller than that? Why can the Fusion 8HD be even smaller still? Sorry but I have to disagree with you here.

a90.jpg

And the weighted key action on my A-90 is even better than the Motif. IMHO.

And look at the Korg M50

ST01080.jpg

Sorry Bernard. Not buying that at all :wave:

• Members
Well, why can my A-80 and A-90 be even smaller than that? Why can the Fusion 8HD be even smaller still? Sorry but I have to disagree with you here.

a90.jpg

And the weighted key action on my A-90 is even better than the Motif. IMHO.

And look at the Korg M50

ST01080.jpg

Sorry Bernard. Not buying that at all
:wave:

:mad:

:lol:

• Members
New video demo (in Japanese):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b5Ml-U6twU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH8oFnThwtE

People who like the sound of Yamaha Romplers please look away now....

eeeeeewwwwwww......

Even their new modeled/rom'd piano's have that Yamaha sound.

It's not a technical issue, the products are good, you just either love it or hate it... it's a personal taste thing...

:facepalm:

Archived