New Yamaha Motif XF

• Members
Well, why can my A-80 and A-90 be even smaller than that? Why can the Fusion 8HD be even smaller still? Sorry but I have to disagree with you here.

a90.jpg

And the weighted key action on my A-90 is even better than the Motif. IMHO.

And look at the Korg M50

ST01080.jpg

Sorry Bernard. Not buying that at all
:wave:

Those were designed to be smaller, if they tweaked them to your feel, lucky you.

If in attempting to make a better keyboard using more substantial parts if they got it wrong or it just did not suit you then that's unfortunate.

Roll's Royce's are big too........

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Those were designed to be smaller, if they tweaked them to your feel, lucky you.

If in attempting to make a better keyboard using more substantial parts if they got it wrong or it just did not suit you then that's unfortunate.

Roll's Royce's are big too........

Guess what has the exact same keybed (just less keys) and is even narrower than my Photoshop: :wave:

yamaha-s70sx.jpg

You fell to the hype of the big empty box that the Motif (88 keys) is :cop:

• Members
Guess what has the exact same keybed (just less keys) and is even narrower than my Photoshop:
:wave:

yamaha-s70sx.jpg

And - amazingly - they f***ed up the design - it's WAY too wide, it's almost as big as an 88. A compact 76er (like the PC3) fits in the back seat or in the trunk of almost any car, with this one yu still have to fold the seats down. And it has the wrong key range too. :mad:

Nah, the VAX77 is the only reasonable weighted 76er around if you ask me.

• Members
And - amazingly - they f***ed up the design - it's WAY too wide, it's almost as big as an 88. A compact 76er (like the PC3) fits in the back seat or in the trunk of almost any car, with this one yu still have to fold the seats down. And it has the wrong key range too.
:mad:

Nah, the VAX77 is the only reasonable weighted 76er around if you ask me.

No disagreements here. There's just no reason why they should waste space on the sides like that. But Yamaha keeps doing it because obviously people (like Bernard :lol:) think like American car manufacturers:

vette20magbigger20and20.jpg

Pontiac even had ads in the 90s that said "Wider is better!" as the company motto.

The A-90 is what a proper 88-keyboard looks like. Or, if you don't want a joystick, this:

Alesis_Fusion_8HD.jpg

I bet the Fusion 88 is smaller than the 76-key S70XS :lol:

• Members
No disagreements here. There's just no reason why they should waste space on the sides like that. But Yamaha keeps doing it because obviously people (like Bernard
:lol:
) think like American car manufacturers:

vette20magbigger20and20.jpg

Pontiac even had ads in the 90s that said "Wider is better!" as the company motto.

The A-90 is what a proper 88-keyboard looks like. Or, if you don't want a joystick, this:

Alesis_Fusion_8HD.jpg

I bet the Fusion 88 is smaller than the 76-key S70XS

:mad:REPORTED :mad:

Everyone knows there better than Italian cars :lol:

• Members
Sometimes, there's extra space in keyboards for expansions - things like hard drives, mlan boards, extra in/out options, card slots, and so on.

Still - some manufacturers do a much better job than others on making things 'space efficient'.

Obviously not the case with the new Motifs, the 61-keys and 88-keys have exactly the same functionality. And the 61-keys is nice, small, slim, portable.

But yeah, in the 80s synths like the Oberheims and the Korg DSS-1 were the size of ping-pong tables for a reason, they were full of stuff inside :lol:

• Members

While you're redesigning it in Photoshop....
Make it about 6" narrower and put the pitch/mod wheels/ ribbon controller above the lowest keys (a la Alesis Fusion).

I love my motif ES, but can't stand hauling it around. Too damn big and bulky.

BTW- you guys might hate me forever for this- but I don't like the black color. I like the color scheme of the XS the best.

It looks like I'm the only one that feels this way.

• Members

Like this? (this is a 2-minute quick and dirty shop, don't shoot me, it's just to get the idea :))

motif5.jpg

I don't know, I think I like the classy look of the wheels on the side, but if I were hauling this thing a few days a week all year long, I'm sure this would make more sense! :lol:

The actual XF8 in the exact same scale:

MOTIF_XF8_o_enlarge.jpg

If I had mad 'shop skillz, I would paint it metallic blue - not too light, not too dark, just a nice metallic blue. I think it would be PERFECT.

• Members

by KBwzrd:

I don't suppose the XF has completely independent multi-fx for each of the 16 parts in multi mode...?

I do know that in "Song" mode, the Motif ES, XS, and now the XF supports 8 insert FX in a song. So, Preset or User voices that you use on a track will bring the FX setting for that patch with it when you use it in a song, provided the Insert FX is turned on for that track. ALL tracks can utilize a Master FX reverb and chorus that is setup globally for the entire song.

There CAN be 16 completely different sounds in a song, but ASAIK, the above setup is still the case.

Cheers,

Mike T.

• Members

personally, i think the large empty insides of the motifs are there for a very good reason. built-in physical, natural reverb!!!!!!! saves the programmers from having to program in the "large empty workstation space" reverb effect.

• Members
personally, i think the large empty insides of the motifs are there for a very good reason. built-in physical, natural reverb!!!!!!!

I like that thought:)

The Big 3 are made in Japan. Therefore I do not question why their products have empty space inside, lol.

Wait, how come nobody mentioned heat dissipation & control?:idea:

• Members
Like this? (this is a 2-minute quick and dirty shop, don't shoot me, it's just to get the idea
:)
)

motif5.jpg

I don't know, I think I like the classy look of the wheels on the side, but if I were hauling this thing a few days a week all year long, I'm sure this would make more sense!

The actual XF8 in the exact same scale:

MOTIF_XF8_o_enlarge.jpg

If I had mad 'shop skillz, I would paint it metallic blue - not too light, not too dark, just a nice metallic blue. I think it would be PERFECT.

Actually, I think the top board is slightly out of scale (i.e. larger than it should be).

I just noted the keys are slightly wider/longer than the one below.

• Members
Actually, I think the top board is slightly out of scale (i.e. larger than it should be).

I just noted the keys are slightly wider/longer than the one below.

It was a total cut-paste job. No resizing involved at all. They only seem longer because the board is smaller.

Your eyes have fooled you! :)

free_optical_illusion_bulgi.gif

Archived