New Yamaha Motif XF

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Digital synthesizers store patches in Dallas-type
. This allows for years and decades or permanent storage and
. However such modules top at 512 Kbytes AFAIK, since SRAM is not exactly cheap.

Thanks, I had no idea this was how synths were engineered. They just seem to be so behind the curve when compared to other technology.

• Members

finally we'll have darker color motif, something we should have in the first place - black.

The rather odd bluish-silvery color of recent Motifs doesn't appeal to me. In general, IMHO, Yamaha synths have had a tendency to be rather drab and utilitarian as compared to other brands.

• Members

...at least it DOES have Tap Tempo. C'mon, Yamaha, when will you include that handy feature. I guess I could buy a GAIA just to control MIDI tempo of my ES

That's what I do- I midi up my Alesis Micron to the Motif ES, and use the Micron as the master clock (with the tap tempo)

• Members

Except you do know that all the essential sound processing on OASYS is NOT done by P4 CPU, but rather Korg's custom DSPs?

Except that you confuse OASYS keyboard with the OASYS PCI card, which contains five Motorola 5630x DSPs.

http://www.korg.com/services/products/oasyspci/oasyspci.htm

http://danphillips.com/oasys.htm

OASYS keayboard is a pure softsynth, with was explicitly confirmed by Dan Philips (danatkorg), as well as photos of OASYS keyboard internals which only show an ATX system board and print boards for peripherals (buttons, keys, sliders etc).

http://www.karma-lab.com/oasys/o_int.html

• Members

No pads? No bigger, better,clearer screen? No touchscreen? Looks the same, and probably is even bulkier, heavier, and more massive?

Massive disappointment from me. I was/am holding out for next gen workstations (currently using an old Yamaha s03) from yamaha, i would have bet the farm they were gonna improve the display, and make it smaller/lighter while adding dynamic pads like every other keyboard under the sun has.

le sigh.

• Members

If you are interested, all the details of the new product will be available on http://www.yamahasynth.com and on http://www.motifator.com on Sunday , August 1st at 9 PM Pacific Standard Time.

There has been interesting speculation here, but the real details will be available on Sunday. Yamaha staff will be on line at Motifator to answer questions pretty much in real time.

• Members

by neophool:

No pads? No bigger, better,clearer screen? No touchscreen? Looks the same, and probably is even bulkier, heavier, and more massive?

Massive disappointment from me. I was/am holding out for next gen workstations (currently using an old Yamaha s03) from yamaha, i would have bet the farm they were gonna improve the display, and make it smaller/lighter while adding dynamic pads like every other keyboard under the sun has.

Roland uses pads on their workstations, not Yamaha.

If you think the XS screen should be better, clearer screen, you should check out the Motif ES.

Touch Screen? Check out the Korg M3.

Yamaha, it is what it is. Think its heavy? I carried around an Electric Grand for years, 3 years on the road playing the hotel circuit. Now THAT's heavy.

Man, tough crowd. Already disappointed and it hasn't even been released yet. Take a couple of deep breaths and CHILL.

Mike T.

• Members

Roland uses pads on their workstations, not Yamaha.

If you think the XS screen should be better, clearer screen, you should check out the Motif ES.

Touch Screen? Check out the Korg M3.

Yamaha, it is what it is. Think its heavy? I carried around an Electric Grand for years, 3 years on the road playing the hotel circuit. Now THAT's heavy.

Man, tough crowd. Already disappointed and it hasn't even been released yet. Take a couple of deep breaths and CHILL.

Mike T.

roland, korg, hell even kurtz now have dynamic pads. i'd expect yamaha to match.

i'd rather compare yamaha to the current competition's specs and offerings, not compare it to ES screens from what, 7 years ago, and to Electric Grands. Of course that's heavier. So is a Hammond B3.

And i realize that a workstation's first priority is not portability for gigging. And i realize that Yamaha prolly didn't want ot spend any money on redesigning (hence the exact same form factor, front panel, etc)

The new Motif should be pushing the envelope.

• Members

I was joking dude, lighten up. There was a link to one of Yamaha's web site and there was a picture of an "unidentified" KB at the end of the rolling photos. If that's the XF, then they did some redesigning and changed the from factor. If not, oh well. At least they kicked it up a notch.

Mike T.

• Members

I was joking dude, lighten up. There was a link to one of Yamaha's web site and there was a picture of an "unidentified" KB at the end of the rolling photos. If that's the XF, then they did some redesigning and changed the from factor. If not, oh well. At least they kicked it up a notch.

Mike T.

i think what you saw is the pic of the Tyros 3 in the rotating flash pics on the yamaha keyboard site?

• Members

neophool:

i think what you saw is the pic of the Tyros 3 in the rotating flash pics on the yamaha keyboard site?

Na, I saw the Tyros, large screen and gray. The KB I'm referring too was dark, incognito, at the end of the rolling video. The other pics were well lit and easy to recognize, but the one at the end was not. But just because I can't identify it doesn't mean anything. It could be I just don't recognize all their keyboard lines. :poke:

Cheers,

Mike T.

• Members

I'm referring too was dark, incognito, at the end of the rolling video. The other pics were well lit and easy to recognize, but the one at the end was not.

It's Yamaha CP-300; the shooting angle is very sharp, and part of the top side seems to be covered by fabric, that's why it looks a bit unusual.

V3_BNR_204200.jpg

• Members
It's
Yamaha CP-300
; part of the top side seems to be covered by fabric, that's why it looks a bit unusual.

V3_BNR_204200.jpg

Yep :thu:

although just below the slideshow is a new motif

ps. Long time lurker, im mogut from all the other forums.... I'll try and chime in more often

• Members

They can come up with as many new technologies as they want but its all about the sounds and my exp with yammy boards of late has been totally underwhelming..:poke:

My question is how can you play a Tyros 3 and an S90es and be underwhelmed by the SOUND, unless you are like many and play them back in mono which is like cutting your headphones into or taking half of your speakers out of your car? I've played/bought/sold just about every keyboard model in last 40 years and are completely blown away with the two above mentioned keyboards. I've made a nice living playing and recording with both (15 solo CD's and hundreds for others) If it's noise you want instead of music they have some of that too. Maybe I don't get it ???? Producers want players filling session time with playing not latency problems and computer crashes.

• Members

My question is how can you play a Tyros 3 and an S90es and be underwhelmed by the SOUND, unless you are like many and play them back in mono which is like cutting your headphones into or taking half of your speakers out of your car?

Maybe some just don't like how Yamahas sound? :poke:

Personally, I find them too bland/generic sounding.

Archived