New Yamaha Motif XF

• Members

@keybdwizrd:

'I have actually started to fiddle with the sequencer inside my M3. I like play around with the combis and karma stuff, but would like to record/loop a 32-bar section, for example, and then play additional parts along with it (live, for fun). My options to do this would be 1) somehow output the M3 karma and live MIDI data while playing to DP (I don't know how to do this), 2) record my combi/karma playing as digital audio inside DP (easy enough, but to loop I need to sync tempos and beats), or 3) import the combi into the M3's sequencer and use it to record my live playing and the karma-generated stuff.'

I use the M3's sequencer quite a bit actually (wouldn't consider myself a 'power user' though) and all these things mentioned are pretty easy to do. For #1, I believe the 'default' global settings already have the Karma output sent to the midi outs (both by usb and the hardwired midi out). So, it's just a matter of connecting the midi out of the M3 to your computer or other hardware box. To check, go to 'global', hit the 'page select button', touch P1 Midi tab, then the Midi routing tab on the bottom of the screen. You will find KARMA external settings here.

For #2, it is easy as you say. :) You can set either the M3 or DP as midi 'master' and have the other set to 'start' when you hit play/record. Doing that will 'sync' up the tempos of the two.

It seems you figured out #3. :) The shortcut to get to the sequencer from program or combi mode is hold the 'enter' button and push the 'rec/write' button. This transfers all the settings from the program/combi (including fx's, karma settings) into the sequencer. In case you didn't know.... :)

As far as the looping a 32 bar section and playing over it.... i suppose there are a few ways to do that. Here's one option: In sequencer mode you have the option to 'loop' each track for however many measures you would like. They can all be different lengths if you want. 4 bar drum loop on 1 track, 8 bar bass loop on another, etc. These loops will play until for the entire song length, which defaults to 64 bars. You can change that of course. So, you can have,say, tracks 1-8 'looping' at their given lengths for 64 bars while you record 'live' bits (non-looping) on the other sequencer tracks.

I hope this helps a bit. :)

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
High-quality version of Motif XF presentation by Bert Smorenburg

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2010/08/10/yamaha-motif-xf-first-video-preview/

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2010/08/12/motif-xf-exploration-continued/

The Japanese vid that I eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwww'd at has now been dispelled by Bert ;)

Still strikes me that Yamaha have listened to their Customers main needs.

Cool board.

• Members
For #1, I believe the 'default' global settings already have the Karma output sent to the midi outs (both by usb and the hardwired midi out). So, it's just a matter of connecting the midi out of the M3 to your computer or other hardware box. To check, go to 'global', hit the 'page select button', touch P1 Midi tab, then the Midi routing tab on the bottom of the screen. You will find KARMA external settings here.

Thanks for all of the info; I will investigate this further. Sometimes something that seems like it would be complicated is simple after all. :)

• Members

As you probably know, the Korg Forums and (esp.) the Karma Lab Forums are the place to ask about stuff like this -- you'll have clear and detailed responses to questions within an hour of posting them...

Thanks, yes, I am aware of those, and should make more of an attempt to spend time there.

Unfortunately, I have been traveling a lot for work, and working a lot of hours in general, and spending most of my free time composing with Omnisphere. I feel like I could spend a solid couple of weeks with just the M3 to understand and appreciate everything it has to offer.

• Members

Someone posted that using soft synths and workstations together would be difficult because hardware companies want you to use just the onboard sounds.

From Yamaha's point of view, one of the most important trends is the integration of hardware and software .

You can add a Firewire card to the Motif series so it becomes your sound
card and your soft synths and the output of your DAW can be integrated into your Motif mixes. This is great for a live setup where you want the Motif sounds and soft synths for live performance.

On the other side of the coin, the Motif editors are available in VST versions so you can use your Motif exactly like a soft synth in Cubase. This includes not only the convenience of your Motif setting being stored with your project, but even freezing. You could use the editor and have some Motif VST tracks in your project, freeze those tracks and then just take your computer to a friends house to record a sax part. The DAW would play back the frozen tracks without the Motif hardware being present , but when you return to your studio, you could unfreeze the tracks and edit them again. Again the editor essentially turns the Motif into a VST instrument.

• Members

XF7 as main board for live setup, add a nice small midi controller for my left hand bass samples (audio captured Trillian samples, i guess since no workstation allows softsynths on board)

i'll need a midi controller with real good dynamic pads for playing other samples i'll need to use. Still blows my mind that yamaha refuses to add pads onto the motif. annoying that i'll need a seperate controller for that.

XF pisses me off because it didn't have the featuers i expected (smaller form factor, dynamic pads, touchscreen, 1 or 2 killer features that would make it WOW)

deciding between an XF7, M3-73, and PC3 whatever the 76 key model is.

might just got he "i'm too poor for this anyways lol" route and get an M50 73 though. this is also for a lot of live work so lugging arond a $3000 keyboard live and risking having beers spilled on it is not enticing.

• Members
XF7 as main board for live setup, add a nice small midi controller for my left hand bass samples (audio captured Trillian samples, i guess since no workstation allows softsynths on board)

i'll need a midi controller with real good dynamic pads for playing other samples i'll need to use. Still blows my mind that yamaha refuses to add pads onto the motif. annoying that i'll need a seperate controller for that.

XF pisses me off because it didn't have the featuers i expected (smaller form factor, dynamic pads, touchscreen, 1 or 2 killer features that would make it WOW)

deciding between an XF7, M3-73, and PC3 whatever the 76 key model is.

might just got he "i'm too poor for this anyways lol" route and get an M50 73 though. this is also for a lot of live work so lugging arond a $3000 keyboard live and risking having beers spilled on it is not enticing.

I tried a Korg M50 73 for a short time (as replacement for my dying Triton Le, which kind of came back to life & I still use it on gigs...) - but brought it back for a couple reasons: wasn't crazy about the action but the nail in the coffin was that the "extra" notes/keys ("extra" above and beyond a 5 octave/61 key machine) that should be in at the bottom end AND top end of the keyboard were instead ALL bunched up at the bottom end! The top end of the keybed actually ended at the same key as a 61 key machine, or very close to it...

I found this to be just utterly ridiculous - I don't care how easy it might be to "octave transpose" the string patches or whatever the hell other suggestions were made to me at the time... :facepalm::lol: - - as a piano player I think it's just plain dumb, to bunch up all the extra keys at the bottom and not have any at the top. Those who are more synthesist-oriented may not care but it really irked me! :rolleyes:

• Members

OR... this, and your current controller. Super light for gigging!

And it's the FIRST rack with a joystick too!!!

km50r.png

• Members
OR... this, and your current controller. Super light for gigging!

And it's the FIRST rack with a joystick too!!!

km50r.png

Color screen is a nice addition to the board. I would buy it if it keeps internal sequencer.

• Members
I tried a
Korg M50 73
for a short time (as replacement for my dying
Triton Le,
which kind of came back to life & I still use it on gigs...) - but brought it back for a couple reasons: wasn't crazy about the action but the nail in the coffin was that the "extra" notes/keys ("extra" above and beyond a 5 octave/61 key machine) that should be in at the bottom end AND top end of the keyboard were instead ALL bunched up at the bottom end! The top end of the keybed actually ended at the same key as a 61 key machine, or very close to it...

I found this to be just utterly ridiculous - I don't care how easy it might be to "octave transpose" the string patches or whatever the hell other suggestions were made to me at the time...
:facepalm::lol:
- - as a piano player I think it's just plain dumb, to bunch up all the extra keys at the bottom and not have any at the top. Those who are more synthesist-oriented may not care but it really irked me!
:rolleyes:

Yup, I find the "73" thing pretty stupid too. :facepalm: I wouldn't doubt it's a cost thing passed off as fashionable (ooh look, like a 73 rhodes!) thing. I'd bet it's a bit cheaper to just slap another octave on at the bottom, then 1/2+ at the top, and 1/2+ at the bottom

• Members

Well I think I'm going to pull the trigger on an XF6. I think a hardware workstation is just what I need, I hate composing on a computer. Now seems like a good time to dive in :)

If any of you know of dealers that are competitively priced and will ship internationally, please let me know!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Some people just don't want to like the XF and will find one or more excuses to justify it.

I've have used my Motif ES8 for 6 years and haven't had any problems with it, it always works. It still sounds good to my ears, but there's no doubt in my mind that the XF has a lot more capability than my ES. I would like more power and more options, the XF will provide that. Is the XF the all that ends all in workstations? Probably not, there are some other things I wish it had, but it doesn't. But my ES is a lot more limited than the XF and a number of things I wished my ES could do over the last few years are now incorporated into the XF. The price is about the same as what my ES8 was when I bought it.

Cheers,

Mike T.

• Members

Why is there no "Transpose" or "Split/Layer" buttons on the Motif XF? Why are they limited to a Stage Piano-type synth, like the S90ES/XS series? Why can't us live players have those functions but on a lighter-weighted, synth/sequencer/sampler unit like the Motif XF? :confused::rolleyes::facepalm:

• Members

Why is there no "Transpose" or "Split/Layer" buttons on the Motif XF?

There are [OCTAVE UP] and [OCTAVE DOWN] buttons on the Motif XS and Motif XF, they are located just above the sequencer transport buttons. (Yes, they should have been placed closer to the pitchband and modwheel, just like Assignable Function buttons [AF1]/[AF2]).

As for Split/Layer, you just need a couple of keypresses to navigate to the relevant OS screen, that is [PERFORM] -> [EDIT] -> part select ([1]...[4]).

• Members
).

Still sounds too complicated on a dark stage. :p - - besides, "Octave Up/Octave Down" is NOT the same as Transpose: let's say "Uncle Joe" is going to sing w/the band at this weekend's wedding gig but he tells us he sings ___________ in the key of F#, instead of G - now what? W/a dedicated "Transpose" button, it's easy.

Granted, this doesn't come up too often & I'm more inclined to wing it and play in the "transposed" key but once in a while it's just easier to hit Transpose and play in original key. The song "Oh What a Night (December 1963)" by the Four Seasons is a good example - original is in C#, most bands play it in C but I sub sometimes w/a band that insists on doing EVERYTHING in original key. C# is a mother of a key to navigate, it's much easier to hit "Transpose" and play in C - which I could do if I'm using my Roland RD300GX, since it has a dedicated "Transpose" button... except it's more likely I'd have my Yam. S90ES on the gig w/me & I don't even know where "Transpose" is on that sucker so I play it in the transposed key! :facepalm::lol:

Archived