New Yamaha Motif XF

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Finally we get to know the most important feature of a modern digital synthesizer: its color.
:facepalm:

well, if for you is irrelevant whether you date blonde or brunette I can't help you there. It's all about inspiration...

• Members

It depends on how you use an XS if you already have one. Players that primarily use the ROM voices, edit them, save them to user locations or edit them within Song mode on the internal sequences might not find the XF very attractive.

Obviously its when you want to buy voice libraries and want to load a lot of different sounds and have to load them via the current sampler is where you run into trouble. Its just too slow. If the power goes out and you are not running off a continuous power supply, you're SOL.

There will be players that have to have them, and others that don't.

Cheers,

Mike T.

• Members
I've just bought the Roland Fantom G8 and I have 15 days to try it and refund it if I want. What should I do?

The Famton G has probably the most power sequencer (MV8800 better for groove stuff) of the work stations. It provides a seperate midi out to control another set of sixteen midi parts.

If the sound set and your ability to add samples is all you need then it may be the best for you if you need the power of the sequencer.

If you just need a big rompler with loads of ready made samples, then it looks like the Yam is leading the field just now. But it is still all down to what you need.

Korg have improved their sequencer and added content (best used with RAM expansion) so some may prefer that.

If you do your home work (listen to demo's etc) the one you need should be obvious. They all offer something unique.

:wave:

• Members

I've just bought the Roland Fantom G8 and I have 15 days to try it and refund it if I want. What should I do?

Hopefully you also demoed the Yamaha Motif XS before you purchased the Roland Fantom G.

The Motif XF is really the Motif XS with alot more sounds/samples and a few interface improvements.

Only you can decide which keyboard is right for you.

There will always be new keyboards being released every few years, so the best you can do is decide which is best for you at that point in time.

• Members

Honestly I didn't have the opportunity to try the Motif XS. I wanted sounds and a good sequencer but I think that my "perfect" idea of a sequencer is the MV8800. The Fantom G has a lot of potential, so I hope that in the future some OS releases & ARX expansions give me all I want (I don't know why there are some features in the MV that doesn't appear in the Fantom G sequencer and to buy both is a little redundant to me). Other option I got is to keep the G with me and to wait the release of the Motif XF rack to get more sounds. I'm always a doubt-man... thanks for listen to me anyway :)

• Members

Folks, I know there's lots of questions, misconceptions and valid critiques about the Motif XF -- no one board can be all things to all players and producers. To drill way down to the granular level and get your questions answered, please visit the Motifator Web site: http://4wrd.it/MOTIFATOR. To register for product info and availability: http://4wrd.it/INSPIRATION. For general product info: http://4wrd.it/MOTIFXFPRODUCTPAGE. Happy playing!

• Members

AVl Digital:

A number of players that I know through music chat rooms are not all that happy with workstation rack synths. There's just too much buried in a workstation to make a rack based sound module worth buying. One of the more experience players that has owned rack synths posted on Music Player that he will never buy another rack synth again. To limiting, to frustrating.

If you like the Roland sound set, you can't worry about other synths. Personally I find the sequencer on my Motif ES8 easy to operate and productive. But yamaha has never been know for easy interfaces. The new XF is two generations newer than my ES and I've looked at some of the screens on line and it is a lot more intuitive than the ES. But I learned how to work with my ES8 and I still love the sound after 6 years of steady use.

I know of one other player that likes his M3 a lot. its very easy to use, and cheaper than the Motif line. I think the M3 is too bright sounding for my taste, but I can see that it is a worthwhile music tool at a great price.

Different strokes......

Mike T.

• Members

i wonder how much easier?/faster/more convenient copying/sampling my favorite software sample libraries to an XF would be. I'm talking pretty big multisamples from Trillian, Onmisphere, East West Orchestral samples etc.

I realize that i won't be able to really have good control of them without Kontact, but it might beat lugging around a laptop and the extra 15 minutes of setup time for it.

• Members

Sexy-looking machine!

What I personally like about it:

1. Realistic pianos and other acoustic instruments [still subjective. Opinion might change after listening to it]

2. Thinner/flatter than many other workstations

3. 128-note polyphony

4. 1,024 Normal Voices

5. 64 Drum Kits

6. Analog inputs for sampling

7. 24-bit A/D

8. Software editor

9. Digital Out

10. FireWire input [needs some kind of optional harware add-on]. Allows you to record 16 tracks of audio to your DAW. But only works with Cubase I think. Not sure.

11. Direct audio recording to any USB memory device

12. Expandable to up to 2GB of flash memory through memory modules

13. Black

What I wish it had:

1. Balanced analog outputs

2. Joystick instead of wheels

3. Touch-screen, bigger, and more angled display [Korg Oasis:idea:]

What I don't like about it:

Can't afford it

To the KSS member who will buy it first: Please upload a piano demo as soon as you can!:cop::)

MOTIF_XF7_b_enlarge.jpg

MOTIF_XF8_o_enlarge.jpg

MOTIF_17_enlarge.jpg

MOTIF_XF6_o_enlarge.jpg

MOTIF_XF6_z_enlarge.jpg

MOTIF_XF8_z_enlarge.jpg

Archived