• Last Reply
  • Members
:cop:

No.

(and you got a red X fail, btw)

:lol:

That's a double whammy for you CR :facepalm:

Get yourself a good old fashioned ruler then measure, then come back and at least say sorry to orangefunk ;)

Now that red x may just need a screen refresh for ya :) If not your missing all the fun

:wave:

• Members
:thu:

imageshack runs image decency mode, it will try to auto correct bad design

You obviously haven't played a gig in your life... much less ever considered yourself a live musician :cop:

Bernard a.k.a. Mr. Yamaha-Makes-Big-Keyboards-Because-Their-Keybeds-Have-HUGE-Extensions :lol:

• Members
You obviously haven't played a gig in your life... much less ever considered yourself a live musician

Bernard a.k.a. Mr. Yamaha-Makes-Big-Keyboards-Because-Their-Keybeds-Have-HUGE-Extensions

:mad:

You must know a big synth says allot about a man... ;)

Who ever heard of impractical... that's a term boys use :p

e-type_1024.jpg

• Members
I blame your type for this:

ys200.jpg

Being the owner of an "award-winning" YS200, I think blame should be appropriately placed. It's the fault of Masamichi Udagawa.

Ever try to get inside certain Apple Computer products? Masamichi Udagawa is also responsible for several of their designs.

Don't believe me? See http://art.yale.edu/MasamichiUdagawa and be sure to scroll down the box.

:)

• Members
Like this? (this is a 2-minute quick and dirty shop, don't shoot me, it's just to get the idea
)

motif5.jpg

I don't know, I think I like the classy look of the wheels on the side, but if I were hauling this thing a few days a week all year long, I'm sure this would make more sense!

The actual XF8 in the exact same scale:

MOTIF_XF8_o_enlarge.jpg

If I had mad 'shop skillz, I would paint it metallic blue - not too light, not too dark, just a nice metallic blue. I think it would be PERFECT.

Actually, to answer your presumption, I spent many years travelling having to transport sensitive equipment that I had to perform with on arrival. Some parts had to stay to thousands of an inch accuracy and these where big awkward things to move...

Now look at Yamaha's design... Easy to pack as you can pad those large arrears on the top.

Now look at you design, a real nightmare. Closing a case lid and positioning support would be a pain...

• Members
Being the owner of an "award-winning" YS200, I think blame should be appropriately placed. It's the fault of Masamichi Udagawa.

Ever try to get inside certain Apple Computer products? Masamichi Udagawa is also responsible for several of their designs.

Don't believe me? See
http://art.yale.edu/MasamichiUdagawa
and be sure to scroll down the box.

That web site was even a bit :facepalm:

:thu:

• Members

I hope by now CR you realise I am just pulling your leg...

Synth's can look better small and those vast expanses of hollow space can seem a waste. This is planet earth and we have choice in sound - design - price point - yarda yarda...

;)

• Members

Ok let me try and post my designs in the correct scale, by uploading them ALL to imageshack (I was using the stock yamaha pic that I used to do my cut-paste).

My wheels-on-top version, best for gigging:
motif5.jpg

Yamaha's behemoth:
motifxf82jpg.jpg

Classiest version, looks like Roland A-80/A-90 type design:
motif4.jpg

@Bernard: :mad::lol:

I'd probably just get the 61-key version if I were to buy this. It's classy:
motifxf62.jpg

• Members
Ok let me try and post my designs in the correct scale, by uploading them ALL to imageshack (I was using the stock yamaha pic that I used to do my cut-paste).

My wheels-on-top version, best for gigging:

motif5.jpg

Yamaha's behemoth:

motifxf82jpg.jpg

Classiest version, looks like Roland A-80/A-90 type design:

motif4.jpg

@Bernard:
:mad::lol:

I'd probably just get the 61-key version if I were to buy this. It's classy:

motifxf62.jpg

It's a nice option if you don't need the extra keys.

• Members

hahaha, i love it. the absolute insanity of the size of these "workstations" drives me crazy, and Yamaha is the worst offender i think. but lets be honest, all 4 companies (korg, yamaha, roland and kurtz) need to scale down the size of their pro boards. its just getting stupid how unportable they are.

"but neophool, you're an idiot!!! 88 key hammer action with elephant-grade ivory reproduciton titanium enhanced jiggawatt custom feel version 4.1 keybeds are gonna be HEAVY LOL!!! NOOB!!!"

there is no reason that these workstations can't be slightly bigger and heavier then a Privia, and no reason to be weighing 70 pounds. unless i'm an idiot afterall, then i apologize in advance.

• Members

Given how the Big Three keep making all these workstations, I guess lots of people must be using the onboard sequencers.

I've been doing computer-based sequencing/recording since I got Cakewalk for DOS and a MIDI card for my 286 back in 1991. I've never looked back.

Are there really that many people using workstations as their DAW?

• Members

I still do, even though I also use Logic and Live. Use my MPC too. I just like getting away from the desk from time to time. Also helps when working on the go and with others.

• Members

Given how the Big Three keep making all these workstations, I guess lots of people must be using the onboard sequencers.

I've been doing computer-based sequencing/recording since I got Cakewalk for DOS and a MIDI card for my 286 back in 1991. I've never looked back.

Great question. I'm wondering though what's the best forum to ask this in? The same question asked at vintagesynth.com is going to get a V.A.S.T.ly different answers when asked at kvraudio.com....

• Members

I do. But that's mainly because my long musical hiatus (grad school, marriage, "real" job, kids), from 1995-2008, corresponded to the rise of computer-based sequencing/recording etc., so I sort of "missed the boat." Not too late to get back on, of course, and I'm very far from being a technophobe, but I simply cannot associate the computer with making music.

I assume, by the way, that I'm in the rapidly shrinking minority here, so I, too, am surprised that Korg/Yamaha/Roland/Kurzweil continue to produce workstations.

Boy that XF looks nice.

• Members

If I ever started to sequence, I'd use a workstation DAW. I'd been dabbling with software and computers to make music since the beginning of VSTi and every single session ended with a feeling of dissatisfaction, tiredness and frustration. Some time ago I decided that computers have no advantages in music making for me whatsoever. Also, the hybrid setups are uninspiring for me.

Some people just have no tradition of using computers in music, that's all.

• Members

Another couple of questions/assumptions about using keyboard workstations as DAWs:

- How possible/easy is it to integrate multiple external hardware synths into the process, when sequencing/recording using a keyboard workstation?

- I would imagine that most people who use keyboard workstations simply stay "inside the box," doing sequencing/recording with the sounds/tools inside the workstation, or am I wrong?

- My assumption would be that using a keyboard workstation generally rules out the use of software instruments. The "Big Three" (plus Kurzweil) would likely prefer to keep people buying/using hardware, and the keyboard workstation concept helps to perpetuate that, I would think.

I have actually started to fiddle with the sequencer inside my M3. I like play around with the combis and karma stuff, but would like to record/loop a 32-bar section, for example, and then play additional parts along with it (live, for fun). My options to do this would be 1) somehow output the M3 karma and live MIDI data while playing to DP (I don't know how to do this), 2) record my combi/karma playing as digital audio inside DP (easy enough, but to loop I need to sync tempos and beats), or 3) import the combi into the M3's sequencer and use it to record my live playing and the karma-generated stuff.

After opening the M3 manual several times I figured out how to do #3 above, and it's probably the easiest way to lay down M3 combi/karma parts on the fly.

• Members

I have actually started to fiddle with the sequencer inside my M3. I like play around with the combis and karma stuff, but would like to record/loop a 32-bar section, for example, and then play additional parts along with it (live, for fun). My options to do this would be 1) somehow output the M3 karma and live MIDI data while playing to DP (I don't know how to do this), 2) record my combi/karma playing as digital audio inside DP (easy enough, but to loop I need to sync tempos and beats), or 3) import the combi into the M3's sequencer and use it to record my live playing and the karma-generated stuff.

After opening the M3 manual several times I figured out how to do #3 above, and it's probably the easiest way to lay down M3 combi/karma parts on the fly.

As you probably know, the Korg Forums and (esp.) the Karma Lab Forums are the place to ask about stuff like this -- you'll have clear and detailed responses to questions within an hour of posting them...

• Members

As long as the external hardware synths have MIDI (whether onboard or through some sort of converter, e.g. MIDI to CV), it is quite easy to
sequence
up to 15 external machines simultaneously (simply by assigning different MIDI channels to the different units). But in order to
record the audio
of those other synths, you're almost certainly going to need an external recording device.

Yep, I've often sequenced that many devices from a workstation. I have a breakout box in my computer, so I just hooked up the mixer and recorded audio to the hard drive.

I've done some test recordings with Sonar, but I have yet to actually use a computer for a composition.

• Members

Here's my two cents..

I used to use an Alesis MMT-8 with about half a dozen midi modules and keyboards. Workflow was great, but there was a lot of limitations, frustrations.

For the past 10 years or so, I used a PC DAW, currently running Sonar Producer.

About six months ago, I scored a Motif ES and have fell in love with the sequencer. It's a breeze to get an idea down. On the computer, I have to start the PC, start the sofware, create a file, etc- this takes about 5 minutes to get going. On the Motif, I will already have four tracks of an idea down in that time.

I still use Sonar to finish off the song, add softsynthes, master, etc.

I just think that the workflow with the Motif is much better. For one thing, I never have to grab a mouse. For me, the mouse tasks really slow you down

Archived