Rank the Amps You've Owned

mhenson42

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Marshall JVM410

Laney VH100R

Jet City JC2112RC (ok this is high up because once you crank it, it's awesome and more versatile than the Randall and the clean tone is on par with the Laney)

Randall T2

Engl Powerball

Marshall JCM900

ADA MP-1

Marshall AVT50

Laney VC50 (couldn't dial out the fuzz no matter what I changed)

Watson 15 watt combo

Laney VC30 (disgusting amp, sounded like a fuzzy turd and returned it after a day)

• 7 months later...
  • Members
from best to worst

Nitro

2 channel titan

mesa studio preamp

MAK4 (largely depends on the power amp but when run to nitro or titan, it's awesome)

Cerberus

JTM45

JCA22H

JCA100H after mods

Egnater renegade

Carvin Valvemaster

Traynor YCV50 blue

Carvin SX100
:lol::facepalm:

Where does the old V3 rank in thar? :poke:

• Members

Best to worst:

Bogner Ecstasy

Soldano SLO100

H&K Triamp MK1

Bogner Shiva

Yamaha T100C

Marshall JMP 2204 Mesa Dual Rec (2 channel) - tie

Diezel Einstein

Soldano HotRod 50

Marshall DSL100

VHT Sig:X

Vox AC30CC2

Orange AD140

Bad Cat Black Cat 30R

Carvin Legacy

Mesa F100

Marshall JCM800 2210

Bad Cat Hot Cat 30R

• Members
from best to worst

Nitro

2 channel titan

mesa studio preamp

MAK4
(largely depends on the power amp but when run to nitro or titan, it's awesome)

Cerberus

JTM45

JCA22H

JCA100H after mods

Egnater renegade

Carvin Valvemaster

Traynor YCV50 blue

Carvin SX100
:lol::facepalm:

are we talking about the same amps??? i liked the studio but man the mak4 just owns it in every category except having onboard reverb.

i used the 50/50 and avatar 412 with both preamps, hands down the mak4 has better cleans, grit od and the dorado and makoplex channels destroy the studio's gain. plus its 4 seperate channels instead of sharing the same eq.

i love mesa, dont get me wrong but i would put the mak4 way above the studio, quad preamp and engl e530.

• Members

I saw a good number of listings for 5150 I and not too many of the 5150 III. Is there something that makes the 5150 I's better? May just be they have been around and the III's are new. I am really interested in getting a 5150, just wondered if there are any better or worse than the others.

• Members

holy {censored} you asked for it..this is what I remember rthe list may grow

* is what I currently own
Mesa MKV*
splawn Nitro2011*
Engl Savage
Engl PB
Marshall 1987(FJA)
Marshall 2203KK
Marshall DSL100(FJA)
Marshall dsl100(stock)
Mako Dorado
Laboga MR Hector
Peavey 5152/6505+*
Marshall JVM410
Framus Dragon
Mesa DC5
Krank Stein+
Peavey XXX*
Engl BM
Framus Cobra
Bugera 6260
Mesa dual rec solo
Peavey 5150(FJA)
Peavey 5150(stock)
Bugera 333xl
Splawn NItro2008
Krank REV 1

• Members

Best to worst with a * on what I currently have.

Axe-FX Ultra/TS100 rack*
Mesa Triple Recto (2 channel Blackface)*
Roland JC-120*
Mesa Rectoverb (Series 1)*
Mesa Single Recto (Series 2)*
Marshall DSL*
Fender RocPro 1000 head*
Fender Bassman (Blackface)*
Peavey 5150 II
Peavey Ultra Plus
Jet City JCA20*
Blackstar HT-5*
Mesa Stiletto Deuce (Stage 1)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe*
Randall RM100*
Crate GX-15*
Fender Deluxe 112 Plus

• Members
I saw a good number of listings for 5150 I and not too many of the 5150 III. Is there something that makes the 5150 I's better? May just be they have been around and the III's are new. I am really interested in getting a 5150, just wondered if there are any better or worse than the others.

Probably most (like myself) haven't owned a III to compare. I prefer some of the clips of the 5150 and 6505+ distortion but would like to play a III sometime to compare with the I and II I own/owned.

A bit of a side note, but everything is subjective. Some may be hardcore fanbois of certain brands/models. Some may equate better with cost. Some may not have owned some of the amps in their lists for hardly any length of time (some of the more hardcore gear flippers even sometimes resell an amp before they receive it :D). And some may be brutally honest but have certain tones or playing styles in mind that others may not have for the same amps. And some are going to have ideas about tones that relate well with many but not everyone. Even when a genre like metal is described as what the amp excels or sucks at, someone preferring metal such as Meshuggah won't like an amp that's geared more towards something someone else might prefer that's geared towards something like Megadeth or doom metal.

I try to be honest and believe most others are, as well, but even with my own gear that 100% satisfied me for a while, I may get into playing something different and end up not liking the same amp much because it doesn't really cover what I want as well as something else can. That happened to me with the original 5150 as well as Peavey Ultra Plus when I wanted more organic/warmer/vintage-ish high gain tones that can be better had with a JMP. Or there'll be GAS that kicks in for that all-elusive best tone or best amp for everything. :D

Archived