Fryette Sig X
Fryette 50cl
Titan 200 watt
Baron MII 100
Titan 100 watt
5150II
6505+
Peavey JSX
Fryette Deliverance 120 (only because of 1 channel and no fx loop, otherwise it KILLED!)
5150 FJA
Mesa Single Recto
Framus Cobra

• Members

I saw a good number of listings for 5150 I and not too many of the 5150 III. Is there something that makes the 5150 I's better? May just be they have been around and the III's are new. I am really interested in getting a 5150, just wondered if there are any better or worse than the others.

If you look at the dates, you'll see that most of the posts that mention those amps were before the 5150 III was announced as a prototype in 2007.

My list is small:

Peters Chimera

Peters Hydra

Peavey Special 212

Vox Amplug (if it counts)

Fender Frontman 15

Drew, did you not have a Bogner Ecstacy and Makoplex? The Makoplex tone is the best of your recordings I've heard.

• Members

Blimey there's a few....

Rocktron Prophesy / Marshall EL34 or VHT 2:90

Peavey 6505+ (Currently own)

Engl SE 6L6

Engl Powerball

Marshall JVM410h (Currently own)

Marshall JCM800 Kerry King

Peavey Bandit 112 (Currently own - best recording amp ever!)

Marshall JCM900DR

Marshall JCM800 2203

Laney VH100R

Marshall TSL100

Pod HD500 / Marshall EL34 (Currently own)

Digitech GSP1101 / Mesa Simul

Axe FX II / Marshall EL34

Marshall JCM900 SL-X

Pod XT / Marshall EL34 or Mesa Simul

Marshall JTM45

Peavey Classic 50

Line 6 Flextone II

Those are the only ones I owned for significant periods of time and gigged with. I had others, but never used them to full capacity. I still have the Prophesy should I ever decide to go back to full rack, but I can't see it happening. My Pod HD500 and Peavey 6505+ does everything I want!

• Members

I'll try and stick to the amp heads since I already posted a list:

1. Bogner Ecstasy 101B

2. Mesa Boogie Mark Five

3. Splawn Quick Rod (3 preamp tubes, pre "gears")

4. Mesa Boogie Mark III green stripe

5. Vox Night Train (loved this, but lack of effects loop or reverb made it a tough one to keep)

6. Orange Rockerverb 50 MkI

7. Peavey Ultra Plus (I liked this amp a lot but it's been a while since I've owned it)

8. Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp/MosValve MV962 rig

W.

• Members

If you look at the dates, you'll see that most of the posts that mention those amps were before the 5150 III was announced as a prototype in 2007.

My list is small:

Peters Chimera

Peters Hydra

Peavey Special 212

Vox Amplug (if it counts)

Fender Frontman 15

Drew, did you not have a Bogner Ecstacy and Makoplex? The Makoplex tone is the best of your recordings I've heard.

Your right. I missed that.

• Members
Probably most (like myself) haven't owned a III to compare. I prefer some of the clips of the 5150 and 6505+ distortion but would like to play a III sometime to compare with the I and II I own/owned.

A bit of a side note, but everything is subjective. Some may be hardcore fanbois of certain brands/models. Some may equate better with cost. Some may not have owned some of the amps in their lists for hardly any length of time (some of the more hardcore gear flippers even sometimes resell an amp before they receive it
:D
). And some may be brutally honest but have certain tones or playing styles in mind that others may not have for the same amps. And some are going to have ideas about tones that relate well with many but not everyone. Even when a genre like metal is described as what the amp excels or sucks at, someone preferring metal such as Meshuggah won't like an amp that's geared more towards something someone else might prefer that's geared towards something like Megadeth or doom metal.

I try to be honest and believe most others are, as well, but even with my own gear that 100% satisfied me for a while, I may get into playing something different and end up not liking the same amp much because it doesn't really cover what I want as well as something else can. That happened to me with the original 5150 as well as Peavey Ultra Plus when I wanted more organic/warmer/vintage-ish high gain tones that can be better had with a JMP. Or there'll be GAS that kicks in for that all-elusive best tone or best amp for everything.
:D

You raise a good point. sound is subjective and one may like something another does not. I was really wondering about if there were any real factual defects or differences that were known between the models.

I think my biggest problem is I am trying to find one amp that can cover any situation, and that does not exist. Some are more versatile, but none can cover every situation. But with the cost of some of amps, it is hard to impossible to load up multiple amp...unless I get credit!!

• Members

LOL I totally forgot about those :lol:

Updated my list.

Makoplex was bad as hell but it absolutely killed me not having the low/high gain foot switchable. The clean channel was just as spectacular as the lead channel. A mak2 with both channels switchable would be ideal but to be totally honest, I prefer the structure of the nitro more. It's got something in the lower mids that the makoplex, titans, etc just doesn't have. The makoplex though was about as close to the nitro's long lost brother in terms of tone as I've heard. While it would be nice owning a mak2, it would be completely redundant and would probably never get played.

• Members

Modded Metro Amp Marshall Superbass Plexi clone 100 watt
Modded Marshall SLP Plexi RI 100 watt
Modded 1978 Marshall Superbass 100 watt
Stock 1979 Marshall Superlead 100 watt
Modded 1980 Marshall JMP 2203
85-86 Randall RG100ES
almost stock Marshall JMP 2203
87 Randall RG100ES (zebra Stripped)
85-86 Laney AOR Pro Tube lead 100
Orange AD30TC
Carvin x100B / xb100 / whatever the hell it was
Peavey Classic 2x12 tweed (early-mid 90's)

wont count practice / bedroom amps.

• Members

Modded Metro Amp Marshall Superbass Plexi clone 100 watt

Modded Marshall SLP Plexi RI 100 watt

Modded 1978 Marshall Superbass 100 watt

Stock 1979 Marshall Superlead 100 watt

Modded 1980 Marshall JMP 2203

85-86 Randall RG100ES

almost stock Marshall JMP 2203

87 Randall RG100ES (zebra Stripped)

85-86 Laney AOR Pro Tube lead 100

Orange AD30TC

Carvin x100B / xb100 / whatever the hell it was

Peavey Classic 2x12 tweed (early-mid 90's)

wont count practice / bedroom amps.

So you prefer the reissue Plexi to the original Superlead from '79? Interesting... I've only played one vintage plexi and the tone was killer, but the thing was beat to hell and a lot of work was done, and I like my toys shiny :)

• Members

Ok,....rank of what I have now:

Bad Cat Lynx 50

Bogner Goldfinger

Roccaforte Custom 30

'78 Marshall JMP 50 watt

TopHat Emplexador 100 watt

Mesa Boogie Tremoverb

Bogner Shiva

Gibson GA15

That's not really a ranking of what I like to what I think sucks -- it's more, what I use the most to what I use the least.

• Members

These are owned, not just played. Best ever was a JCM800 modded by Todd Langer and Soldano.

1: JCM800 (50 watt vertical input)

2: Mesa MkIII purple stripe

3: Quickrod

4: Zwengel Banshee

4: 5150 III

5: 5150

6: Mesa DC5

7: Triple Recto/rectoverb

8: Stiletto

9: Crate vintage club 20

10: Goldea Rex3200

28: HK Switchblade

• Members
So you prefer the reissue Plexi to the original Superlead from '79? Interesting... I've only played one vintage plexi and the tone was killer, but the thing was beat to hell and a lot of work was done, and I like my toys shiny
:)

Yes. After the re-issue had been tweaked . Converted to Superbass specs, along with a few subtle gain mods & some voicing mods & a master volume added. The re-issue will go from Jimi, to an 80's thing, to Br00tals ..with just twisting some knobs.

I'd rather have a re-issue that will do exactly what I want, & be a "jack of all trades". There's just some stuff that a stock Marshall wont cover for me, without using a bunch of pedals.

Hot-rodded Marshalls are an addiction. Yes, alot of stock Marshalls sound great, but I like to be able to cover more areas than a stock NMV can do.

• Members
from best to worst

Nitro

2 channel titan

mesa studio preamp

Makoplex

MAK4 (largely depends on the power amp but when run to nitro or titan, it's awesome)

Bogner XTC classic

Cerberus

JTM45

JCA22H

JCA100H after mods

Egnater renegade

Carvin Valvemaster

Traynor YCV50 blue

Carvin SX100
:lol::facepalm:

what about the 2 channel Titan did you find better than the Cerberus, doesn't it have the same gain channel?

Archived