Stilletto, Lone Star or F50

geng

• Members

Hi

I'we been thinking of buying Mesa amp - Stilletto, Lonestar or F50. I'we tried F30, 1x12 and Lonestar (50/100) 2x12, and liked them both - I liked Lonestar clean sound better, but maybe F50 would have been better clean sounding. F30 had more gain. I need a good clean channel and a good drive channel I can use for leads.

Lonestar 1x12 might sound different than 2x12. How is it compared to F50. And what about stilletto, is it good??

• Members

Lonestar 1x12 might sound different than 2x12. How is it compared to F50. And what about stilletto, is it good??

The lonestar has the best cleans of the bunch, one the best cleans ever made in all of guitar amplification. The drive has plenty of gain, but the voicing is kind of laid back (w/the 6L6...i haven't played one with the EL34s in it). It has this sort of old school fender drive going on, but thicker. I love the lonestar; i think its one of mesa's best amps ever.

The F-series are kind of like mark series boogies in the drive department. The F50/100 has the better cleans, but i prefer the drive tone in the F30, as i think its a bit more detailed and agressive sounding. WIth the contour on, imagine Metallica, pre-black album tones, but warmer and fuller.

The stilletto ace (which is a v2), is an awesome amp as well. The cleans are brighter than either the Fseries or lonestar, but very very good for an EL34 amp. The drive is old school marshall all the way and can do 80s metal with ease. Sounds nothing like a traditional boogie.

• Members

I have an F50 and recently ran a Stiletto Ace through it's paces. I've played a Lonestar briefly once, but admittedly am not very familiar with it. But here are my conclusions. The F50 has a VERY sweet clean channel, very Fendery IMO (the preamp is based on a Fender Deluxe Reverb, but it has lots more clean headroom). The drive channel on the F50 is quite good, too, but I'm more of a classic Marshall crunch guy, so I much prefer the Stiletto Ace overdrive...it's much smoother and more focused than the F50. I kind of compare their overdrive sounds to sand paper...the F-Series is like a coarse grit sandpaper whereas the Stiletto is more like medium grit, if that makes any sense.

The Stiletto clean is really pretty decent, but when compared side-by-side with the F50, the F50 clean outshines it, again, IMO.

SO, my perfect amp would be the F50 clean channel paired up with the Stiletto dirty channel (Randall Smith, are you listening?? :) ). But as I said earlier, I can't say much about the Lonestar.

• Members

Thanks for your replies. Now I have two question:

1) Stilletto Ace. Is a good speaker in the combo-format? Or should I stay with the head version?

2) Have anyone tried EL34 in Lonestar? What kind of sound is it?

• Members

Thanks for your replies. Now I have two question:

1) Stilletto Ace. Is a good speaker in the combo-format? Or should I stay with the head version?

2) Have anyone tried EL34 in Lonestar? What kind of sound is it?

I'm prone to heas because i don't like buying speakers all the time. If you get a great sounding cab or two, you can get multiple heads for different sounds. I really want to try the 34's in my lonestar head. I'm just getting used to the 6l6's on the drive side but i think the drive channel would be a little more aggressive with them. I'm just worrried what it would do to the clean side. I'm a fender guy as well and the lonestar has a very nice clean channel. I run the clean on 100 watts and the drive on 50. the boost function is a very nice footswitch option as well. A lot of backline companies are carrying the l.s. now... it might be worth 50 or 100 bucks to rent it for a day... cause it's definitely not for everyone.

• Members

The Stiletto combo comes with a Vintage 30 which suits the amp pretty well, I think. Personally, I'd be fine with the combo, but wouldn't necessarily be opposed to a head either, esp. since I already have a 2x12 cab and a handful of speakers. However, the combo has a closed back cab that is ported and tuned, so it makes it sound much bigger than a normal combo.. Then again the 1x12 combo weighs something like 70 some lbs! Pros and cons either way!

• Members
Hi

I'we been thinking of buying Mesa amp - Stilletto, Lonestar or F50. I'we tried F30, 1x12 and Lonestar (50/100) 2x12, and liked them both - I liked Lonestar clean sound better, but maybe F50 would have been better clean sounding. F30 had more gain. I need a good clean channel and a good drive channel I can use for leads.

I'd get a Mav before the Lone Star.

• Members

Of the 3, I'd get the Stiletto, preferably the Stiletto II. I heard the II at NAMM and it sounds much better than the I that my friend has. The Lonestar didn't impress me at all. Everyone raves about the cleans but they're nothing special to me. The drive channel is bland to me as well. The F-series are okay. For leads, the drive channels sound pretty good but way too flubby. Chunk on some power chord riffage and for me at least, I get blub, blub, blub.

• Members

What about the clean channel - it must be good? And what about Tremoverb, is it still in production. What is the main difference between Rectoverb and Tremoverb?

i own a lonestar.... and i think the tremoverb is the mesa amp to have. it's not in production but you can find them around.

• Members

I've got a lonestar 2x12 I'm going to put up for sale. Spotless with at least 3 years left on warranty. I'd like to get $1200 plus shipping.

i'm vulturing for a good price on a lonestar... the clean channel is addicting with a strat. GC employees have to tear me from those little stools when it's closing time...

• Members

I own an F50 combo and a Stiletto Deuce Head series 1. I've also got a dozen or so other amps. FWIW, the Stiletto is my favourite amp I own - it's reasonably versatile, and just sounds FANTASTIC. But, the F50 would be my desert island amp - it covers ALL the bases. Hope this helps. Brent

Archived