Stilletto, Lone Star or F50

geng

• Members

I had the Stiletto Trident and then an Ace combo. Get an Ace head. If you really want cleans and it has to be Mesa...Lonestar Special. I would get another brand Class A amp used for what you can get that for, though. Matchless or something will be better than the Mesa.

• Members

ah... so no lone star shine on top. that's too bad, i see fairly good prices on stilettos more frequently than lone stars

IMO, no EL-34 based amp has a good clean channel. At least not compared to a 6L6 based amp.

Also, what you see is fairly good prices on stage 1 stilettos. The stage 2 version is worth a lot more.

• Members

FWIW, I absolutely LOVE the clean channels on my Stiletto Deuce series I. Keep in mind though, for the most part I'm not looking for Fender Twin-type cleans... I prefer "prickly" cleans to "chimey" ones... For chime and sparkle, my F-50 is much better, but I often find that kind of top end too strident... YMMV. Hope this helps. Brent

• Members

I've used a Nomad and hated it. The dirty channel had no mojo at all and I wasn't that impressed with the clean channel.

I've never played through a Stilleto so I can't really comment. But...

I own an F-50 and it is hands down the best amp I've ever played through. Great dirty channel and the cleans are phenomenal (with tons of headroom). So I would recommend the F-50!

Archived