CASIO, the beginning of a NEW ERA

afr

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by piano39

View Post

Actually, I would be happy with a new SK-1

Yeah, it turns out that the Teenage Engineering OP-1 is actually a boutique beta version of the new SK-10. The SK-10 will resemble the OP-1, except will sell for $200, be made of plastic instead of metal painted white like the OP-1, will generally have a cheaper build look and feel, and will omit the fancy virtual cassette display to keep costs down.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

maybe we'll het some analogue gear we can play....

KORG:

korg tease us with monotrons and monotribe with real analogue filters etc...but no meaningful way to perform with them..

Roland:

give us the nice retro hands on controllers from the 80's analogue synths like the sh09, sh2, sh1010 and juno106...BUT make the sound from virtual analogue.

Casio:

can they pull off some cool retro analogue synth that doesn't cost

• Members

I am showing my age here, but casio HAS has some cool little synths from time to time. I would not scoff at this that much. By comparison, no offense to Gus L, almost everything I bought from M-Audio prior to 2 years ago ended up in the trash can. Casio's problem is their marketing deprtment sucks ass in the US, and they have a rep as a maker of 'casio watch' ala John Candy. Their watches are actually cool.

• Members

Right. Even some of their toy synths have had interesting innovations. I remember a synth they made back in the 80's that had a novel waveform generator, with a couple of parameters you could modify to get quite an interestingly rich set of different tones from (before running through the usual subtractive synthesis stuff). Way more variation in tone than sine/triangle/sawtooth/square-with-pulsewidth that all the "real" synths used. And it sounded great through the built-in speakers (relatively, that is). I only heard it in stores, though; maybe the algorithm didn't hold up with the scrutiny of a good sound system.

Privias are nothing to laugh about; Casio has proven that they're capable of making a worthy instrument. I'd love to get a chance to spend some quality time with a PX-3 to see how well they've done at entering the pro market. From what I read it seems like a decent bit of kit and a great value.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by learjeff

View Post

Right. Even some of their toy synths have had interesting innovations. I remember a synth they made back in the 80's that had a novel waveform generator, with a couple of parameters you could modify to get quite an interestingly rich set of different tones from (before running through the usual subtractive synthesis stuff). Way more variation in tone than sine/triangle/sawtooth/square-with-pulsewidth that all the "real" synths used. And it sounded great through the built-in speakers (relatively, that is). I only heard it in stores, though; maybe the algorithm didn't hold up with the scrutiny of a good sound system.

Privias are nothing to laugh about; Casio has proven that they're capable of making a worthy instrument. I'd love to get a chance to spend some quality time with a PX-3 to see how well they've done at entering the pro market. From what I read it seems like a decent bit of kit and a great value.

So I looked for a vid and found something completely different

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by learjeff

View Post

If it was late 80's might have been one of the SD synths like HT-700, HT-3000 (same engine) or HT-6000 (the best, most advanced one). They made them until 1991, if they'd waited a few more years and added some knobs they would have been ready for the analog revival. I'm a huge fan of of the 700 - its not as "pro" as an Alpha Juno or DW-8000 and maybe it's a bit cheesy but it really sounds great to me.

I can't think of that else they dod besides the CZ synths.

• Members

Casio re-enters the pro marker? Yes plz:

1. Cheap workstation?

2. VA

3. Analog or hybrid, bring back SD!

4. Controller

5. Casio version of Maschine: hooks up to a computer, looks like a blown-up SK-5 with 61 keys and 8-16 bright yellow drum pads. Software includes re-creations of RZ-1, FZ-1, SK series, RAPMAN, VA-10, CZ series (with VZ "upgrade"), SD series, and early 80's squarewave and sinewave Casiotones. Also available in 48-minikey, 37-micromini-key, keytar and VL-Tone. Also includes a calculator.

• Members

Or perhaps they threw all their {censored} into one pot and stirred thoroughly. CZ-1, FZ-1, HT-6000 and MZ-2000 in one smelly mix and call it MZ-2012. Something old, something new, something borrowed, something digital, something analog, somethin...hmmm...they could paint it blue. I would smear it all over me.

• Members

Just remove "Korg" and replace "Kronos" with "Casios" [sorry Casio, can't redo the entire photoshop].

Quote Originally Posted by Mediterranean

View Post

...and for the first time in synth history, a second joystick for left-handed soloists! [this breakthrough feature alone is worth the USD21,000]

Main amazing features:

1. 365 amazing patches can be accessed for each selected year [1 patch per day]

2. Fully editable presets via the amazing touch-screen LCD

3. Patches from different eras can be combined [which is amazing]

4. Two independent volume controls [one for each amazing era]

5. Two independent ON/OFF switches [one for each era]. This amazing feature allows you to turn on BC only --when you're feeling pessimistic-- or AD only --when you're in an optimistic mood-- [amazing energy savings!]. Of course, you can still turn on both eras simultaneously, for instance, when feeling pessimistic & optimistic at the same time

Limitations:

1. Ancient patches [amazing!!] cannot be edited to sound like modern or future ones, and vice versa

2. Amazingly, this synth doesn't exist yet

korgkronoslol.jpg

Archived