CASIO, the beginning of a NEW ERA

afr

• Members

lol Seamonkey.

Or maybe this new Casio is this!

[Did this when we were all making guesses about what the Kronos was going to look like]. Here also, just replace "Kronos" with "Casios" and remove "Korg" smile.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Mediterranean

View Post

lolbiggrin.gif

P.S: micro stylus not included. Please contact Monotron users for advice.

korgwatch.jpg

I actually sold this watch not long ago on eBay. It was from 1983.

watchm.jpg

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Man. I was going through the "KORG KRONOS" thread when it was announced and we didn't know what it was, and I think it's the most hilarious thread on KSS, especially now when you read our silly predictions, not knowing what we know now. Even funnier than Hai Guyz icon_lol.gif

I also noticed that Bernard was the first one who guessed the meaning of that mysterious number "9" right. [i.e, 9 synth engines].

Bernard, you're a nerd icon_lol.gif

• Members

Well, seriously, it's probably just a further expansion of the Privia line. They've made steady progress and critical acclaim for their pianos so I would guess that will continue. PX-440 and PX-4 are my bets, with even better ac/el piano tones and maybe a drawbar organ if we're very lucky.

Countdowns and product hype are just part of NAMM so I wouldn't get my hopes for new deliciousness any higher than that. I do like the Kronos watch thing though.

rolleyes.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by The Pro

View Post

Well, seriously, it's probably just a further expansion of the Privia line. They've made steady progress and critical acclaim for their pianos so I would guess that will continue. PX-440 and PX-4 are my bets, with even better ac/el piano tones and maybe a drawbar organ if we're very lucky.

Countdowns and product hype are just part of NAMM so I wouldn't get my hopes for new deliciousness any higher than that. I do like the Kronos watch thing though.

rolleyes.gif

Seriously that would be my bet too, but to add a little excitement into all the seriousness, I don't remember Casio doing these counters too often. There could be a little hint of a possibility of it being something more interesting. Out of the surprising possibilities, I'm placing my bet on higher end arranger.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by The Pro

View Post

Beat ya to it on Page 1 of the thread. smile.gif

They will continue bringing the Privia line closer to taking on the likes of Korg SV1 and Nord Electro. Maybe even have a top of the line model that takes on the Nord Stage.

• Members

I had some pretty cool Casio "pro" gear back in the 90's. I paid about $900 new ( a fortune to me at the time) for their PG-380 guitar synth. It was really innovative and to this day, no one has come out with anything that had the features this had. It was a high quality Strat-style guitar (rumored to have been made by Ibanez) with a Floyd Rose. Definitely not the cheap plastic Jetson-looking thing most people think of with Casio guitars. This actually had a built-in VZ series synth module and a slot on the back for adding sounds with a ram card, plus a midi out jack for controlling external synths. It also had a built-in tuner. At the time it was being endorsed by Stanley Jordan and Bob Weir of the Grateful Dead played one for a while. I used it as my main guitar for years. I also bought a Casio VZ-10M synth module to use as a workstation for editing sounds to use in the guitar. It was definitely a professional level piece of gear and competitive with other synths of the era. As mentioned, Casio dropped out of the pro market shortly after that. I don't know if they were able to overcome their reputation as a maker of consumer level electronics compared with Roland, Korg, etc. But I'll be curious to see what they have in store for now.

• Members

I owned a Casio FZ-1. It was junk. The supposedly 16-bit DAC was so bad, that an engineer from Sequential Circuits shorted out the top two bits and found that made no difference. (ie, The fz-1 was, at best, a 14-bit sampler). I remember reading this engineer's FZ-1 report in one of the newsletters SQ sent out to its customers. And in fact, my FZ-1 was just barely less noisy than my 12-bit SQ Prophet 2000. Also, the floppy disk drive on the FZ-1 constantly spun whenever a disk was in the drive, so if you left a disk in too long, the drive motor would overheat and burn out. (And what a painfully slow drive it was). The LCD screen was barely readable, and tiny. You'd have to be a masochist to try to edit a waveform on it, especially since you had just 4 arrow keys, and plus and minus keys, to "manuever around" and change points. As for its 6 loop points, if you used more than 1 loop, sometimes some of them wouldn't work. The only entertainment I got out of that lemon was reading the fz-1 tech manual. It had gems like this sentence -- "The value 7f means no change to stay the channel unchanged as it was." (I finally figured out this meant "The value 7f doesn't change the MIDI channel").

Why and how so many people retrospectively consider the fz-1 to be a gem is a total mystery to me. It was substandard the day it came out. By today's standard, it's beyond obsolete. The fz-1 is something you'd use today only if you wanted to sound worse.

Archived