Gary moore CRUSHES Albert King LIVE

Zachman

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I love Gary to death. I even like his voice. I love Albert King too. Two totally different styles but both equally badass. Thats my perception anyways.
:)

I don't like GM's style, and that's just my own preference. I can see why other people would totally love it. But for him to stand onstage with Albert King, who's wearing a suit that is probably older than he is, and to make his retarded guitar face right up in AK's grill, doing pick slides and harmonic trills and all that garbage. It's just shameful. He should've just turned down and stood back. It probably wasn't his intent, but it came off to me as totally disrespectful. And the idea that he 'crushed' anybody is....well lol...{censored}....

• Members
I don't like GM's style, and that's just my own preference. I can see why other people would totally love it. But for him to stand onstage with Albert King, who's wearing a suit that is probably older than he is, and to make his retarded guitar face right up in AK's grill, doing pick slides and harmonic trills and all that garbage. It's just shameful. He should've just turned down and stood back. It probably wasn't his intent, but it came off to me as totally disrespectful. And the idea that he 'crushed' anybody is....well lol...{censored}....

I hear ya. Even Id have to sit back and just "the man" do his thing. And Im usually a nut on stage. :p

• Members
You certainly are entitled to your opinion, as I am mine and IMO Albert got outdone.

Hey, I love ya man....but have to completely disagree on this one.

How do you "out-do" someone at the blues? What are the criteria for "crushing" another blues player? Is it technique, speed, bends, pick attack, fancy string skipping? I say none of the above.

Albert was doing this when very few others were. Gary, while a great player, is an evolved, modernized, version of guys like the Kings, Collins, etc... Gary has worked on his chops to become an advanced player and respected by musicians, Albert could care less, his guitar was simply to accompany and complement the feeling of the words he was singing. Voice, words, presence and soul together with the guitar playing as the "glue".

Gary is a guitarists guitarist, and his most well known songs to the general public, have the least amount of guitar licks...

Still, they both kick ass IMO, but you my good brother, should possibly reevaluate what the blues is....:thu::love:

• Members

Hey, I love ya man....but have to completely disagree on this one.

How do you "out-do" someone at the blues? What are the criteria for "crushing" another blues player? Is it technique, speed, bends, pick attack, fancy string skipping? I say none of the above.

Albert was doing this when very few others were. Gary, while a great player, is an evolved, modernized, version of guys like the Kings, Collins, etc... Gary has worked on his chops to become an advanced player and respected by musicians, Albert could care less, his guitar was simply to accompany and complement the feeling of the words he was singing. Voice, words, presence and soul together with the guitar playing as the "glue".

Gary is a guitarists guitarist, and his most well known songs to the general public, have the least amount of guitar licks...

Still, they both kick ass IMO, but you my good brother, should possibly reevaluate what the blues is....
:thu::love:

I hear you and understand where you're coming from, BUT... The qualifier was NEVER that Gary crushed Albert at, "PLAYING the blues".

• Members

Two quick points them I'm gonna shut up on this topic.

First, Gary's covering Albert's tunes not vice versa. I'm pretty sure that tells us who the master and who the student is.

Second, and last, if Gary were to chime in on this thread do you think he'd be saying "Ya I pwnd Albert King"? Don't think so.

Certainly NOT...

Some like mustard, some like ketchup I'm not a fan of one of them.

• Members

You certainly are entitled to your opinion, as I am mine and IMO Albert got outdone.

I've come to like you a lot Zach...even though you have that one pic of all your stacks of gear on stage, ready at any given moment to whip out for validation...

But really, very sad for you in this regard. "outdone" "crushed"...etc.

A someone said, you've "missed the point" (doesn't quite accurately describe what has occured here, but close enough) and it's obvious (to many) that you think music and gear as competition.

You can rationalize it all you want as your opinion...That's fine keep that up. Don't help none. You're under some mistake impression that opinions can't be wrong.

• Members

I've come to like you a lot Zach...even though you have that one pic of all your stacks of gear on stage, ready at any given moment to whip out for validation...

But really, very sad for you in this regard. "outdone" "crushed"...etc.

A someone said, you've "missed the point" (doesn't quite accurately describe what has occured here, but close enough) and it's obvious (to many) that you think music and gear as competition.

You can rationalize it all you want as your opinion...That's fine keep that up. Don't help none. You're under some mistake impression that opinions can't be wrong.

Opinions can be wrong??? I was under the impression that information is either correct of incorrect. My opinion in this case, IS my opinion and apparently shared by others. NOT looking for validation, as my preference needs none. I prefer Gary Moore's approach to the guitar, and tone to Albert's. Certainly Albert was an influence on Gary, like the Kinks were to Van Halen, but I prefer Van Halen to the Kinks. That certainly doesn't diminish the Kinks' contribution to music.

The whole idea of PC BS, where everyone is equal is ridiculous. Albert gets props that he WELL-deserves, but anyone that has walked into guitar Center and has had to listen to the mindless crap that comes out of a newb, can certainly make a distinct preference between that and and someone like Gary Moore or whomever. That's all I'm saying, I think Gary Moore did his thing and appreciates Albert's thing too, but I prefer the new-school approach that Gary brought to the table. Is Gary my favorite guy of all time, NO... But I liked what he did more.

• Members

who crushes who ?
the mistake is inside the question !
I saw a similar video where GARY was on stage with BB KING ..........I think it's not a really good idea .
I like GARY MOORE as GARY MOORE ,full stop!
But GARY MOORE plays the blues like SKID ROW....
Sorry for him ,but :" My dear GARY ,as fast as you can do,you'll never play THE BLUES this way "..................Amen !

• Members

who crushes who ?

the mistake is inside the question !

I saw a similar video where GARY was on stage with BB KING ..........I think it's not a really good idea .

I like GARY MOORE as GARY MOORE ,full stop!

But GARY MOORE plays the blues like SKID ROW....

Sorry for him ,but :"
My dear GARY ,as fast as you can do,you'll never play THE BLUES this way "..................Amen !

For this, I thank God!

• Members

I thought Albert said more in his first note than Gary did in all of his combined.

I love Gary's playing but he isn't a blues player, IMO. I think of him as, for lack of a better word, a blues-rock player. His style takes pretty much equally from both genres.

I always think balls out blues-rock shredding sounds horribly out of place on a traditional blues song like that one. Just as I would find Albert's more traditional style wouldn't really fit a balls out blues rock song.

• Members

I thought Albert said more in his first note than Gary did in all of his combined.

I love Gary's playing but he isn't a blues player, IMO. I think of him as, for lack of a better word, a blues-rock player. His style takes pretty much equally from both genres.

I always think balls out blues-rock shredding sounds horribly out of place on a traditional blues song like that one. Just as I would find Albert's more traditional style wouldn't really fit a balls out blues rock song.

Well spoken.

• Members

Opinions can be wrong??? I was under the impression that information is either correct of incorrect. My opinion in this case, IS my opinion and apparently shared by others. NOT looking for validation, as my preference needs none. I prefer Gary Moore's approach to the guitar, and tone to Albert's. Certainly Albert was an influence on Gary, like the Kinks were to Van Halen, but I prefer Van Halen to the Kinks. That certainly doesn't diminish the Kinks' contribution to music.

The whole idea of PC BS, where everyone is equal is ridiculous. Albert gets props that he WELL-deserves, but anyone that has walked into guitar Center and has had to listen to the mindless crap that comes out of a newb, can certainly make a distinct preference between that and and someone like Gary Moore or whomever. That's all I'm saying, I think Gary Moore did his thing and appreciates Albert's thing too, but I prefer the new-school approach that Gary brought to the table. Is Gary my favorite guy of all time, NO... But I liked what he did more.

Well that's all well and good....but yeah...OPINIONS can be wrong. If that doesn't make any sense to you I can;t help you here.

But....maybe it was just a bad choice of a title?

Usually these kinds of titles are reserved for trolls.

Preferring one artist over the other is NOT "crushing". People are right in thinkning you're proposing some head to head competition.

What part of that don't you get? Really.

• Members

Well that's all well and good....but yeah...OPINIONS can be wrong. If that doesn't make any sense to you I can;t help you here.

But....maybe it was just a bad choice of a title?

Usually these kinds of titles are reserved for trolls.

Preferring one artist over the other is NOT "crushing". People are right in thinkning you're proposing some head to head competition.

What part of that don't you get? Really.

I agree with the bad choice of title, and earlier in the thread I stated that I should've added IMO in the thread title.

I still feel like watching Gary is much more entertaining and watching Albert was about as exciting for me, as eating a half eaten sandwich out of the trash can at 711 would be, for a food critic.

• Members

Am I the only one that prefers Alberts playing warts an' all, to Gary's over-cooked 80s flash.

I like them both.

Gary is one of my ..."heores"?,...well...he is in my top 5 favorite guitar players and influences...put it that way.

But what he was playing was not "blues". Most certainly not in the traditional sense.

So why is there any comparison? Why the "competition".

And Zach...I don;t care it you DO put "IMHO" in your thread title...its still a bad title. Every post in the forum is a "IMHO"...so what?

• Members
Albert King is the same lick over and over in all the (admittedly few, maybe at some point he was actually impressive) recordings I've heard. The guy is massively overrated.

That's my opinion, lay the flames on me!

you mean "THE" lick. the same one evry other guitar player copied since he invented it????? yeah, i hate that lick.:freak:

• Members

I think we could say the sam eabout all of your psost in this thread...roit?
;)

Only the inflammatory and troll-like nature of the thread gives it any gas.

Agreed. I watched the video again, and still can't help but wonder, why all the fuss over Albert. I thought he sucked AND was out of tune.

I think the nature of 2 guitar greats give it gas. The fact that one of them has his ass handed to him, DISCLAIMER for all the sensitive types:figuratively speaking and IMO, keeps it interesting.

Archived