Gary moore CRUSHES Albert King LIVE

Zachman

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You all need to get a clue! :mad:

The man was almost 70 hard "black" (and I mean that with respect!) years old there, cut him some slack!

He was born to the children of slaves, and had to pick cotton out in the fields of a plantation as a young child so that his family could eat. You spoiled fools don't even know what the blues is!

He is one of the very early blues men, and an innovator of such.

Where do you think Gary, Stevie, and all the other white boys learned how to play the blues, at the local mall in the valley?

What Gary was playing there could hardly even be called the blues, it was more shred-metal than anything else really, which is great and all, but come on now.

When you hear or see King playing with these guys, Gary, Stevie, or whoever, it's because they asked him to out of respect, as their inspiring mentor, that they felt very indebted to, and rightfully so!

Show some damn respect!

You wanna hear some good stuff, check out the CD he did with Stevie, and others of his earlier work.

He was a very humble man, that was always quick to not only share the spotlight, but actually drop back and let it shine on another instead. He was very supportive and encouraging to SRV, and encouraging to whites in general to share in carrying on the blues torch.

He was the real deal.

Yeah, and this written from the heart of a real metal head, who just happens to know where it all "really" came from; the hearts of the black slaves in the cotton fields, a humbled and oppressed people, that prayed night and day to be delivered, and thank God that they were delivered from that living hell, God bless their souls. That's where the blues came from. Can I get an amen?

RIP Mr. King! :cool:

• Members

What Gary was playing there could hardly even be called the blues, it was more shred-metal than anything else really, which is great and all, but come on now.

Why is it not the blues ???

Cos' it's fast and has more notes than typical blues ???

I bet if SRV played fast and out of the box you won't call it 'not the blues' :rolleyes:

• Members

Why is it not the blues ???

Cos' it's fast and has more notes than typical blues ???

I bet if SRV played fast and out of the box you won't call it 'not the blues'
:rolleyes:

It was "bluesy", and I'm not bagging on him; just emphasizing the point. Hoping to educate the uninitiated a bit so to speak, and put things into proper perspective.

We have at least one guy on this forum that can blow that performance by Gary away as far as "real" blues playing goes. What Gary was playing was a hybrid of several forms, and that's all good and well, but not really the blues, more of a fusion style.

Oh, and Stevie would never have played a blues-metal fusion style, and if he did, I would call it what it was.

• Members

It was "bluesy", and I'm not bagging on him; just emphasizing the point. Hoping to educate the uninitiated a bit so to speak, and put things into proper perspective.

We have at least one guy on this forum that can blow that performance by Gary away as far as "real" blues playing goes. What Gary was playing was a hybrid of several forms, and that's all good and well, but not really the blues, more of a fusion style.

I get where you're coming from but who are we or anyone for that matter to put a stamp on what 'real' blues is ?

Is Clapton, SRV or Buddy Guy 'real' blues ?

Is Gary Moore 'fake' blues ?

Is Zakk Wylde a 'real' douchebag ?

No one really knows but at the end of the day, it's up to the individual to decide what's real and what's not. IMO, Moore is just adding his own flavor to the blues. So did Jimi, SRV and Trower. Doesn't make what they play 'fake' does it.......

• Members

I get where you're coming from but who are we or anyone for that matter to put a stamp on what 'real' blues is ?

No one really knows but at the end of the day, it's up to the individual to decide what's real and what's not. IMO, Moore is just adding his own flavor to the blues. So did Jimi, SRV and Trower. Doesn't make what they play 'fake' does it.......

:thu: The Blues is a vibe, more so than a style (which is limiting). A guy into death metal can have the blues and will express it in his own way with his style, but it's no less the blues.

• Members

Well since we can't really know anything about anything, why are you acting like you do? :p

• Members

If by crushes you mean plays a whole lot faster and louder, I suppose you're right. FWIW, Gary's one of my favorite players and technically one of the best, but nobody crushes Albert. There isn't a blues player out there that hasn't borrowed heavily from Albert. If you listen to Albert expecting to hear a shred fest, you'll be disappointed. If you listen to one of the pioneers of modern electric blues and one of the best string benders ever, you'll be smiling.

I've seen a lot of videos of Gary with the older blues guys, and to me he's really obnoxious. He stands there all leaning in to them with a "look at me, aren't I great" smug look on his face and plays all over the top of them. Seems more like he's about showing off than making good music with them.

Like I said, on his own, he's one of my favorites, but he doesn't play well with others.

• Members

If by crushes you mean plays a whole lot faster and louder, I suppose you're right. FWIW, Gary's one of my favorite players and technically one of the best, but nobody crushes Albert. There isn't a blues player out there that hasn't borrowed heavily from Albert. If you listen to Albert expecting to hear a shred fest, you'll be disappointed. If you listen to one of the pioneers of modern electric blues and one of the best string benders ever, you'll be smiling.

+1

And; Weedleydeedely deedelyWeedley deedelyWeedley Weedleydeedely all over the neck...

...aint the blues! :p

Archived