Gary moore CRUSHES Albert King LIVE

Zachman

• Members

I'm a huge Gary Moore fan and love his playing.

That said, for you to say he Crushes Albert King kinda makes me say to myself "NEVER, EVER have this guy over for a drink cause he is totally out of his {censored}ing mind.:freak:

Gary does Crush many others out there. His skill and technique cannot be denied. He is one of the best.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Agreed. I watched the video again, and still can't help but wonder, why all the fuss over Albert. I thought he sucked AND was out of tune.

I think the nature of 2 guitar greats give it gas. The fact that one of them has his ass handed to him,
DISCLAIMER for all the sensitive types:figuratively speaking and IMO
, keeps it interesting.

"Sensitive"

or

"sensible"

What old blues player DO you like....hmmm?

I think AK does a fantastic job of creating what he wanted to. Don;t see ho you get "crushed" when you can accomplish that.

• Members
You all need to get a clue!
:mad:

The man was almost 70 hard "black" (and I mean that with respect!) years old there, cut him some slack!

He was born to the children of slaves, and had to pick cotton out in the fields of a plantation as a young child so that his family could eat. You spoiled fools don't even know what the blues is!

He is one of the very early blues men, and an innovator of such.

Where do you think Gary, Stevie, and all the other white boys learned how to play the blues, at the local mall in the valley?

What Gary was playing there could hardly even be called the blues, it was more shred-metal than anything else really, which is great and all, but come on now.

When you hear or see King playing with these guys, Gary, Stevie, or whoever, it's because they asked him to out of respect, as their inspiring mentor, that they felt very indebted to, and rightfully so!

Show some damn respect!

You wanna hear some good stuff, check out the CD he did with Stevie, and others of his earlier work.

He was a very humble man, that was always quick to not only share the spotlight, but actually drop back and let it shine on another instead. He was very supportive and encouraging to SRV, and encouraging to whites in general to share in carrying on the blues torch.

He was the real deal.

Yeah, and this written from the heart of a real metal head, who just happens to know where it all "really" came from; the hearts of the black slaves in the cotton fields, a humbled and oppressed people, that prayed night and day to be delivered, and thank God that they were delivered from that living hell, God bless their souls. That's where the blues came from. Can I get an amen?

RIP Mr. King!
:cool:

Totaly 110% on the money.

• Members

Agreed. I watched the video again, and still can't help but wonder, why all the fuss over Albert. I thought he sucked AND was out of tune.

I think the nature of 2 guitar greats give it gas. The fact that one of them has his ass handed to him,
DISCLAIMER for all the sensitive types:figuratively speaking and IMO
, keeps it interesting.

You could find lots of videos of Hendrix sucking and playing out of tune too. But if you look at their respective contributions to guitar playing, Albert had contributed 100 times what Gary ever will.

Again, technically, I think Gary's one of the best ever. I'd even go so far as to say that his live version of the Messiah will come again is probably the best piece of guitar playing ever captured on video by anybody ever, but he'll never influence people the way Albert did.

• Members
"Sensitive"

or

"sensible"

What old blues player DO you like....hmmm?

I think AK does a fantastic job of creating what he wanted to. Don;t see ho you get "crushed" when you can accomplish that.

It's cool... You are not in the midst of a recruitment center being required to choose sides.

I am NOT sure he was trying to accomplish being out of tune, nor am I certain he played what he wanted to, only that he played what he did, and I preferred Gary's performance in that video. :thu:

• Members

You could find lots of videos of Hendrix sucking and playing out of tune too. But if you look at their respective contributions to guitar playing, Albert had contributed 100 times what Gary ever will.

Again, technically, I think Gary's one of the best ever. I'd even go so far as to say that his live version of the Messiah will come again is probably the best piece of guitar playing ever captured on video by anybody ever, but he'll never influence people the way Albert did.

AGREED 100%, though this thread was NEVER about Albert Kings contribution to music vs Gary Moore's. It was only about the FACT that my opinion is: Albert sucked in that video and Gary didn't.

• Members

50 years from now, when most of these guys are long gone - six feet under - I wonder who will be remembered? Heck, Rusty Cooley, Mike Batio, (insert name of your personal favorite noodler) - they can all play circles around any of the three Kings....when it comes to speed. But when it comes to sheer influence on millions of guitar players, that's another story.

Well said.

Rusty Cooley? He'll be remembered alright.:D

• Members

Albert sucked in that video and Gary didn't.

Haha! See thats what Im not seeing. He didnt suck in the video, he sounded like Albert King live.

I suppose the final word on this is anyone whos a big fan of the 80's style, or blues/rock shredders would prefer Moore. Anyone whos deeply into the blues or not a product of the 80's shred guitar or modern blues/rock fast players would think Albert said "more" with his playing.

I like both, two different approaches, but each one expressing themselves differently. If you think it sucked, you might not get it. I hear one Albert note and feel it, someone else may not. I can listen to a lot of 80's shredders and it sounds just as typical and cliche as the repetitive licks that King gets accused of playing. Then again theres some standouts who influenced many others...Just like King did with a generation of younger blues players who had the desire and youthful ambition to take it to the next level.

Great discussion.

• Members

Haha! See thats what Im not seeing. He didnt suck in the video, he sounded like Albert King live.

I suppose the final word on this is anyone whos a big fan of the 80's style, or blues/rock shredders would prefer Moore. Anyone whos deeply into the blues or not a product of the 80's shred guitar or modern blues/rock fast players would think Albert said "more" with his playing.

I like both, two different approaches, but each one expressing themselves differently. If you think it sucked, you might not get it. I hear one Albert note and feel it, someone else may not. I can listen to a lot of 80's shredders and it sounds just as typical and cliche as the repetitive licks that King gets accused of playing. Then again theres some standouts who influenced many others...Just like King did with a generation of younger blues players who had the desire and youthful ambition to take it to the next level.

Great discussion.

You rock bro!!! :thu: I felt it, unfortunately it felt like nails on a chalk board to me. I can't stand out of tune instruments. I don't care who is playing it.

I dig BB King, and some (NOT all) of Albert King's stuff, but as blues goes (NOT the topic of this thread), I prefer this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcH-jmmaY7Q

• Members
You all need to get a clue!
:mad:

The man was almost 70 hard "black" (and I mean that with respect!) years old there, cut him some slack!

He was born to the children of slaves, and had to pick cotton out in the fields of a plantation as a young child so that his family could eat. You spoiled fools don't even know what the blues is!

He is one of the very early blues men, and an innovator of such.

Where do you think Gary, Stevie, and all the other white boys learned how to play the blues, at the local mall in the valley?

What Gary was playing there could hardly even be called the blues, it was more shred-metal than anything else really, which is great and all, but come on now.

When you hear or see King playing with these guys, Gary, Stevie, or whoever, it's because they asked him to out of respect, as their inspiring mentor, that they felt very indebted to, and rightfully so!

Show some damn respect!

You wanna hear some good stuff, check out the CD he did with Stevie, and others of his earlier work.

He was a very humble man, that was always quick to not only share the spotlight, but actually drop back and let it shine on another instead. He was very supportive and encouraging to SRV, and encouraging to whites in general to share in carrying on the blues torch.

He was the real deal.

Yeah, and this written from the heart of a real metal head, who just happens to know where it all "really" came from; the hearts of the black slaves in the cotton fields, a humbled and oppressed people, that prayed night and day to be delivered, and thank God that they were delivered from that living hell, God bless their souls. That's where the blues came from. Can I get an amen?

RIP Mr. King!
:cool:

Well said.

I always liked Gary Moore but he just sounds like a rock guy playing blues with a rock/metal tone. And he's got to have the ugliest mug in the bussiness.

• Members

Hahahahahaha! Best post in the thread! At least youre 100% honest about it and I completely respect that.
:thu:

The video you posted was great! man, I sure wish I coulda been at that show.

No doubt about it, that would've been an epic show to be at!!! :thu: I understand the guys who are sticklers for tradition, but progress is cool! I for one am glad that we are not still bleeding ourselves with leeches, for certain medical conditions anymore.

I like this too: Technical insanity: Admitedly noodely, but STILL WOW what a facility on the instrument

• Members
No doubt about it, that would've been an epic show to be at!!!

I like this too: Technical insanity: Admitedly noodely, but STILL WOW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbJUs8QPxqc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muRWVpQEbqY

Wow! Guthrie is probably my favorite guitarist on the scene rightnow. My foolishness wants me to blurt out "HES THE BEST IN THE WORLD!" but I know better...

The 3 step bends he was doing were amazingly on pitch and the chromatic runs were SICK! Amazing player, full of feel . Not a blues guy by any means though, sure it sounds elitest to think that a brillaint player like Guthrie will never be welcomed by the blues community with open arms but he is one of the best ever, its so obvious.

Great video.

• Members

Wow! Guthrie is probably my favorite guitarist on the scene rightnow. My foolishness wants me to blurt out "HES THE BEST IN THE WORLD!" but I know better...

The 3 step bends he was doing were amazingly on pitch and the chromatic runs were SICK! Amazing player, full of feel . Not a blues guy by any means though, sure it sounds elitest to think that a brillaint player like Guthrie will never be welcomed by the blues community with open arms but he is one of the best ever, its so obvious.

Great video.

When he and I were hanging out in LA, I watched him play blues like a 150 year old black man, and it was sick. The guys is NOT limited in ANYway with a guitar. Also on a fretless guitar, with slide... IT SO doesn't matter-- the guy is argueably one of the most gifted players on the planet. I would classify that in the FACT catagory, not merely in the realm of opinion.

• Members
No doubt about it, that would've been an epic show to be at!!!
I understand the guys who are sticklers for tradition, but progress is cool! I for one am glad that we are not still bleeding ourselves with leeches, for certain medical conditions anymore.

I like this too: Technical insanity: Admitedly noodely, but STILL WOW what a facility on the instrument

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUZK9dasP8s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muRWVpQEbqY

While Govan is amazing, Id take this cat over him every day of the week:

• Members
This is DEFINATELY a Blues guy and I think he kicks the CRAP out of Albert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiH9_DUop4U

Sonny is "definitately" a blues guy?:freak:

That's the first time I've EVER heard anyone refer to Sonny Landreth as "blues". Even the clip you posted's not a blues tune.

He is a badass, though, no doubt, and one of my favorites. He's never even marketed himself as blues though, not sure where you'd get that.

Archived