Gary moore CRUSHES Albert King LIVE

Zachman

• Members
Lets face the FACTS here mang, you are just a Gary Moore fanboy, and there's nothing anyone can say that's gonna change that REALITY!
;):D

While I am a fan of Gary Moore, I am a bigger fan of music done well. And Albert in that performance, wasn't it.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You just don't understand.

That's OK.

Perhaps one day after playing for a lifetime a light will come over you and make you say..." OH.... now I get it"

Some people never get it.

Oh by the way is Don Ho still big down there? Loads of bluesmen come from the pacific.

Actually my bass player was Albert Collin's touring bassist, Jerry Martini of Sly and the Family Stone plays sax with us, when he's in town, along with a few other AMAZING guys like Sonny Landreth and Bill Kreutzman.

I get it. I get, and dig BB King too and prefer him actually. I just don't think Albert was even close to what he was in his hey day in that video.

You are correct that there are lots of talented guys from here. The Fender Strat was designed by a guy from Maui. Victor Wooten is from Oahu, well... I know you are just trying to be an ass, so I'll leave it at that.

• Members
You all need to get a clue!
:mad:
Where do you think Gary, Stevie, and all the other white boys learned how to play the blues, at the local mall in the valley?

RIP Mr. King!
:cool:

Hey Sambo , you twyin to tewme du wite boys cnast pway du blues ?///

HGa ahaa haaaa.......

:freak:

• Members

Actually my bass player was Albert Collin's touring bassist, Jerry Martini of Sly and the Family Stone plays sax with us, when he's in town, along with a few other AMAZING guys like Sonny Landreth and Bill Kreutzman.

I get it. I get, and dig BB King too and prefer him actually. I just don't think Albert was even close to what he was in his hey day in that video.

You are correct that there are lots of talented guys from here. The Fender Strat was designed by a guy from Maui. Victor Wooten is from Oahu, well... I know you are just trying to be an ass, so I'll leave it at that.

Albert King has influenced so many modern players it's silly. To compare his performance at 70 years old with a young Gary Moore who barely understands what Blues is about is unfair. Besides Gary Moore is copping all his licks.

I stand by my statement in that you just don't get it.

OH Leo Fender designed the Strat with help from Freddie Tavares and musician Bill Carson.

I will admit that Fredie Tavares was born in Hawaii.

I'll eat some crow here.

• Members

Albert King has influenced so many modern players it's silly. To compare his performance at 70 years old with a young Gary Moore who barely understands what Blues is about is unfair. Besides Gary Moore is copping all his licks.

I stand by my statement in that you just don't get it.

OH Leo Fender designed the Strat with help from Freddie Tavares and musician Bill Carson.

I will admit that Fredie Tavares was born in Hawaii.

I'll eat some crow here.

Paul,

You and others don't seem to acknowledge, or "get it", that I wasn't comparing shades of blues, between Gary and Albert. I was comparing facility on the instrument and have ackowledged the credit that Albert is due, for his contributions, is valid.

Leo Fender actually designed the tooling used to create mass produced guitars, of which the Strat is definately one.

• Members

Paul,

You don't seem to acknowledge, or "get it", that I wasn't comparing shades of blues, between Gary and Albert. I was comparing facility on the instrument.

You don't get what "facility on the instrument" is.

If you think it is fast fingers than we are on a different page.

If you think it's the ability to express your emotions than we have a basis to agree on.

I would rather listen to what Albert King has to say on his deathbed than what Gary Moore has to say as a young man.

Albert King and his contemporaries invented the genre that Gary just tries to copy.

It's not about the volume or speed. It's the feel.

• Members

You don't get what "facility on the instrument" is.

If you think it is fast fingers than we are on a different page.

If you think it's the ability to express your emotions than we have a basis to agree on.

I would rather listen to what Albert King has to say on his deathbed than what Gary Moore has to say as a young man.

Albert King and his contemporaries invented the genre that Gary just tries to copy.

It's not about the volume or speed. It's the feel.

I hear you and can't help but wonder why you would assume that speed is the basis for my preference. Certainly you are not saying that if one plays with speed, it means they automatically lack feel, finesse, or noteworthiness. Are you???

You wouldn't be suggesting that Gary Moore was not expressing emotion, because he played fast notes, would you? He played slow ones too.

It seems that the basis of your point of contention is that Albert played Blues better, which doesn't address the fact that, that is entirely beside the point of facility on the instrument. Basic stuff, facility on the instrument sort of begins with tuning.

As far as the contemporaries copying the founding generation, I disagree. I think they are taking it in a different direction all together.

Allan Holdsworth and I were talking and he pointed out that there is good jazz and bad jazz, good blues and bad blues, etc... etc...

The point is everyone has good days and bad, and that wasn't one of Albert's best days, is all I am saying.

• Members

I am sure that Alan Holdsworth would agree that Albert King is a big influence on blues guitar and Gary Moore is a pimple on his ass.

So, you still don't want to contend with MY point??? Understandable. ;)

I'm sure Allan would agree that both of them have their place in history.

• Members
So, you still don't want to contend with MY point??? Understandable.
;)

Your point is that you think Gary Moore playes better than Albert King on that video?

I am sorry but I can;t do that. Gary Moore cops all of Alberts licks. Albert invented it.

Sorry I juast can't agree with you.
The whole concert was set up to compliment Gary Moore. It was his show.

Albert King,blues legend... 70 years old. against Gary Moore, Rock artist.

Gary Moore shouold be ashamed of himself trying to cut the guy that gave him a voice.

I still thinik you don't get it.

• Members

You can't be a real musician and not love Albert King...........

vEry vEry pOor title choice zachman, as by now you realize.

Sure Moore smokes Al in a way, just as ;

elvin bishop
srv
eric clapton
buddy guy
Michael Bloomfield
Jimi

would when it comes to tearing up blues riffs.

There was no metal as suggested by 'Boots'........ Moore plays good a blue as
anybody, he smoked Al , so {censored}ing what , they're both great.

Moore looks to be Al's guest, on that clip , it was a showcase for Moore.
Al's got class , they had fun together that's what it's all about the challenge
is the camaraderie not the competition.
Great great clip....

:thu: :thu:

• Members
Your point is that you think Gary Moore playes better than Albert King on that video?

I am sorry but I can;t do that. Gary Moore cops all of Alberts licks. Albert invented it.

Sorry I juast can't agree with you.

The whole concert was set up to compliment Gary Moore. It was his show.

Albert King,blues legend... 70 years old. against Gary Moore, Rock artist.

Gary Moore shouold be ashamed of himself trying to cut the guy that gave him a voice.

I still thinik you don't get it.

Not than Gary Moore is Mozart, but... even Mozart had a piano teacher.

I guess the bottom line is this:

Because Gary showed respect to Albert Collins, Albert King and a few others... by embracing their style and listening to their advice, about how he approaches the guitar and how it affects his playing now--, they became friends and had a student/mentor relationship. It's almost like a "Passing of the torch", from the source, to the next great generational foundation in guitar playing evolution, that they were a part of creating. He looked to me to enjoy it, and knew he was a part of a show as a SPECIAL Guest. ;)

All good parents want to see the next generation do better than they did. It looks to me, like Albert knew Gary was a ripper, and loved that he used the blues to create a "rock-blues" of his own, with his own spin. Albert knew Gary and liked what he did. I agree with Albert. ;)

• Members

I'm pretty sure Albert King knows how to tune a guitar. They have been known to go out of tune during a performance though. Or perhaps he was having trouble with his monitors and couldn't hear his bends? Or maybe he's just deaf now? :idea:

I would assert that 50%+ of what Gary Moore played on that clip was inappropriate for the song, and one could craft a pretty strong argument that he kinda made himself look like an idiot.

• Members
Not than Gary Moore is Mozart, but... even Mozart had a piano teacher.

I guess the bottom line is this:

Because Gary showed respect to Albert Collins, Albert King and a few others... by embracing their style and listening to their advice, about how he approaches the guitar and how it affects his playing now--, they became friends and had a student/mentor relationship. It's almost like a "Passing of the torch", from the source, to the next great generational foundation in guitar playing evolution, that they were a part of creating. He looked to me to enjoy it, and knew he was a part of a show as a SPECIAL Guest.
;)

All good parents want to see the next generation do better than they did. It looks to me, like Albert knew Gary was a ripper, and loved that he used the blues to create a "rock-blues" of his own, with his own spin. Albert knew Gary and liked what he did. I agree with Albert.
;)

Agree 100%---- You can see it in Al's eyes-- BB's Eyes (for that matter ) in their tapes when they watch Gary play--- Both Al and BB understand music progresses and is handed down from generation to generation--but "Who is Better" is a silly argument, as it depends upon each individuals Performers and Listeners interpretation/preferences---
Oh- and I think Gary can "CLEAN UP" on either.

• Members
Agree 100%---- You can see it in Al's eyes-- BB's Eyes (for that matter ) in their tapes when they watch Gary play--- Both Al and BB understand music progresses and is handed down from generation to generation--but "Who is Better" is a silly argument, as it depends upon each individuals Performers and Listeners interpretation/preferences---

Oh- and I think Gary can "CLEAN UP" on either.

I SHOULD'VE titled the thread, "PASSING of the TORCH." :thu:;)

• Members

i am not a fan of fusion or blues, but i know emotion. Albert King OWNS Gary Moore in every conceivable way. sure, moore is faster...sure, he's the better technical player. King MEANS it more.

Albert King was a Kirby. He sucked! If he meant it to suck, then he was a success at it. Gary is a way more accomplished guitarist.

• Members

Albert King is the same lick over and over in all the (admittedly few, maybe at some point he was actually impressive) recordings I've heard. The guy is massively overrated.!

But technical skill is one of the more overrated components in playing the blues.

• Members

Gary Moore loved Albert King and wasn't trying to show him up but pay respects to him by wailing in his homage to him.
Gary Moore is a gentleman and has never been an asshole or arrogant, and he is a superb player who like I said idolized the Kings , Albert , BB , and probably Freddie as well.
So give Gary Moore the respect he deserves.:thu:

• Members

Gary Moore loved Albert King and wasn't trying to show him up but pay respects to him by wailing in his homage to him.

Gary Moore is a gentleman and has never been an asshole or arrogant, and he is a superb player who like I said idolized the Kings , Albert , BB , and probably Freddie as well.

So give Gary Moore the respect he deserves.
:thu:

Agreed; Gary Moore = Ultimate copycat!

Nothng original at all! :lol:

Archived