Gary moore CRUSHES Albert King LIVE

Zachman

• Members

All good joking...but monster has a bit of a point.

I bet Gary would be a bit ticked at the title of this thread.

Albert plays some very traditional blues, that has managed to be frozen in time. Good thing too.

Gary is playing an advanced hybrid version.

But of course Harmony Central would like Gary more. Gary's got his gain knob pegged. lol.

BTW...I love Gary Moore. I have a live recording from the King Biscuit Flour Hour way back in the day. "Shapes Of Things"...holy mother of God.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If by crushes you mean plays a whole lot faster and louder, I suppose you're right. FWIW, Gary's one of my favorite players and technically one of the best, but nobody crushes Albert. There isn't a blues player out there that hasn't borrowed heavily from Albert. If you listen to Albert expecting to hear a shred fest, you'll be disappointed. If you listen to one of the pioneers of modern electric blues and one of the best string benders ever, you'll be smiling.

I've seen a lot of videos of Gary with the older blues guys, and to me he's really obnoxious. He stands there all leaning in to them with a "look at me, aren't I great" smug look on his face and plays all over the top of them. Seems more like he's about showing off than making good music with them.

Like I said, on his own, he's one of my favorites, but he doesn't play well with others.

This is DEFINATELY a Blues guy and I think he kicks the CRAP out of Albert

• Members

All good joking...but monster has a bit of a point.

I bet Gary would be a bit ticked at the title of this thread.

Albert plays some very traditional blues, that has managed to be frozen in time. Good thing too.

Gary is playing an advanced hybrid version.

But of course Harmony Central would like Gary more. Gary's got his gain knob pegged. lol.

BTW...I love Gary Moore. I have a live recording from the King Biscuit Flour Hour way back in the day. "Shapes Of Things"...holy mother of God.

IF I could I would put IMO in the title, but... It IS my opinion and I stand by it.

• Members

the funny part about threads like this is... if gary moore read this thread... he'd think you were {censored}ed in the head

The thing is this, my opinion of that particular performance takes NOTHING away from Albert's accomplishments, I just think Gary took what Albert started and took it to another level.

BTW, how anybody feels, Gary included, doesn't in the slightest bit change my opinion.

Tuning would've been cool for Albert in that video though.

• Members

"Gary Moore CRUSHES Albert King LIVE"

One of the dumbest things I have ever read in my 30+ years of guitar playing. Moore was certainly faster than King. Go Gary Go.....weedly........deedly.........deedly.....dee...... faster, faster, yeah baby. Louder too. Mmmmkay! Pound that vintage Paul into submission!

Albert King was inventing blues before Gary Moore was even a thought in his daddy's ballbag. Give me a break. If you look at Gary's face in the beginning of the video, he is happy to be on the same stage as King. King was revered by all the current generation "blues" guys, because he was one of the second generation blues players that laid the groundwork for electric blues, along with cats like Muddy, BB, Freddie King, Willie Dixon, Hubert Sumlin, John Lee Hooker, etc.

Gary Moore is a good player, and I am not dissing him. Hey, he's much faster (like that matters) than Clapton, Jeff Beck, Pagey, SRV. So what? ALL of those guys have had 100x more impact on electric blues than Moore ever had - or ever will have. What's the point or the big deal?

Music isn't a competition, and opinions written as though they are absolutes are plain moronic.

• Members

The thing is this, my opinion of that particular performance takes NOTHING away from Albert's accomplishments, I just think Gary took what Albert started and took it to another level.

BTW, how anybody feels, Gary included, doesn't in the slightest bit change my opinion.

Tuning would've been cool for Albert in that video though.

Henry Ford invented the automobile, but I have no problem acknowledging modern technology's advancements over the original in that regard either.:idea:

• Members

Blues is an atmosphere created by poor black men, re-packaged and

marketed to affluent whites, same as rap is today. The operative words here

are "created" and "re-packaged". Albert King is one of my idols- Not because

he was fast or technical, but because he infused what he played with what

he felt. His playing was the product of his life experiences.

• Members

When I watched that video, I saw two great guitar players with different styles and tones. It's pretty obvious that most people will prefer one over the other but I don't understand why it has to be a competition. Maybe we should also measure their schlongs? :idk:

• Members

Blues is an atmosphere created by poor black men, re-packaged and

marketed to affluent whites, same as rap is today. The operative words here

are "created" and "re-packaged". Albert King is one of my idols- Not because

he was fast or technical, but because he infused what he played with what

he felt. His playing was the product of his life experiences.

Gary was raised up poor in his country, and infused his soul, technique and ability into his playing too, with feel. The Blues is color blind, everybody gets the blues now and then.

• Members

When I watched that video, I saw two great guitar players with different styles and tones. It's pretty obvious that most people will prefer one over the other but I don't understand why it has to be a competition. Maybe we should also measure their schlongs?
:idk:

Yep = someone here gets it.

• Members

When I watched that video, I saw two great guitar players with different styles and tones. It's pretty obvious that most people will prefer one over the other but I don't understand why it has to be a competition. Maybe we should also measure their schlongs?
:idk:

It is human nature, to have preferences. Sorry, but Albert in that video, did nothing for me. It doesn't need to be a debate at all. It is my opinion and apparently a few others as well. No big deal, I'm sure Albert doesn't give a crap.

• Members

Gary was likely influenced a lot by King - as were players like Stevie, Eric and Jeff. I doubt the reverse is true.

I saw BB last year, right after he turned 80. Guts, soul, still has the great singing voice and guitar vibrato. Played some guitar on stage - but not very much. When I watched BB on stage doing his thing at 12:30 in the morning, I could not help but think to myself that I was watching one of the inventors (of electric blues).

50 years from now, when most of these guys are long gone - six feet under - I wonder who will be remembered? Heck, Rusty Cooley, Mike Batio, (insert name of your personal favorite noodler) - they can all play circles around any of the three Kings....when it comes to speed. But when it comes to sheer influence on millions of guitar players, that's another story.

• Members

"Gary Moore CRUSHES Albert King LIVE"

One of the dumbest things I have ever read in my 30+ years of guitar playing. Moore was certainly faster than King. Go Gary Go.....weedly........deedly.........deedly.....dee...... faster, faster, yeah baby. Louder too. Mmmmkay! Pound that vintage Paul into submission!

Albert King was inventing blues before Gary Moore was even a thought in his daddy's ballbag. Give me a break. If you look at Gary's face in the beginning of the video, he is happy to be on the same stage as King. King was revered by
all
the current generation "blues" guys, because he was one of the second generation blues players that laid the groundwork for electric blues, along with cats like Muddy, BB, Freddie King, Willie Dixon, Hubert Sumlin, John Lee Hooker, etc.

Gary Moore is a good player, and I am not dissing him. Hey, he's much faster (like that matters) than Clapton, Jeff Beck, Pagey, SRV. So what? ALL of those guys have had 100x more impact on electric blues than Moore ever had - or ever will have.
What's the point or the big deal?

Music isn't a competition,
and opinions written as though they are
absolutes
are plain moronic.

Since it isn't a competition and no big deal, quit your {censored}in whinning already. Just sayin, IMO Albert sucked ass, factually was out of tune and I prefered Gary's playing.

Deal with it and STFU

• Members

Gary was likely influenced a lot by King - as were players like Stevie, Eric and Jeff. I doubt the reverse is true.

I saw BB last year, right after he turned 80. Guts, soul, still has the great singing voice and guitar vibrato. Played some guitar on stage - but not very much. When I watched BB on stage doing his thing at 12:30 in the morning, I could not help but think to myself that I was watching one of the inventors (of electric blues).

50 years from now, when most of these guys are long gone - six feet under - I wonder who will be remembered? Heck, Rusty Cooley, Mike Batio, (insert name of your personal favorite noodler) - they can all play circles around any of the three Kings....when it comes to speed. But when it comes to sheer influence on millions of guitar players, that's another story.

Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix, Clapton, BB King, Chet Atkins, Les Paul, Leo Fender will all be remembered for their contributions, none taking away from the others all adding to music and all having their fans.

• Members

Since it isn't a competition and no big deal, quit your {censored}in whinning already. Just sayin, IMO Albert sucked ass, factually was out of tune and I prefered Gary's playing.

Deal with it and STFU

I compliment you on one of your posts, and you bust my balls. BTW, what is "whinning"?

Archived