Ibanez, making moves in the right direction.

BAZGUITARMAN

• Members

I was just looking around the Ibanez website and noticed what I hope is a new trend in their production guitars.

For years we`ve all loved how Ibanez guitars played and the high quality you get for a pretty reasonable price. No matter how cheap or how expensive the model it always stacks up very well to all the competition. Except in one area....

Pickups.

But I now notice a new trend with Ibanez. Since they have enjoyed a close relationship with Dimarzio, we`ve always seen the designed by Dimarzio stock pups in Ibanez guitars. Even the high end Prestige series guitars were loaded with these pups. But in the last year I have noticed Ibanez loading their guitars with actual Dimarzio pickups more and more often. At the same time, Ibanez is still keeping their cost to value ratio very tight.

In some instances you will notice that even though a new model now comes with actual Dimarzio pups, the price has not increased in proportion to this improvement. Meaning that Ibanez is giving us even more for our $$$`s. That`s pretty damn sweet.

And to top it off, they are doing it at all price levels. For instance I was looking at the new V model that is in the X series. Check this out.

mahogany body

5-piece Wizard II neck-through

binding on body, fretboard and headstock

upgraded Gibralter bridge(very substantial)

**Dimarzio D-Activater humbuckers (neck & bridge)**

And this guitar is priced well below $1K even with a matching HSC. That is a lot of freaking guitar for the price. And to top it off, it`s even a pretty nice looking V. Just different enough to stand out from the crowd, but not gimmiky.

VBT700BK.png

Next is the Apex II, which is a signature model 7-string.

Mahogany body

5-piece Wizard II 7-string neck

*Tone-Pros bridge (1st I`ve seen on an Ibanez)*

**Dimarzio PAF Pro 7-string pups (neck & Bridge)**

Also very sweet and a great deal on a 7-string. I`m not sure, but I think this model will sell in the $1K range. Correct me if I`m wrong please. I also like the finish which is a flat green. Something that you don`t see every day. The Tone Pros bridge is also a killer new feature that I`ve not seen before on an Ibanez guitar.

APEX2GSF.png

I like this trend that Ibanez is starting. I would like to see this spread throughout their product range. Better pups and new hardware. Very nice.

Eric

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Also very sweet and a great deal on a 7-string. I`m not sure, but I think this model will sell in the $1K range.

It sells for $700 new.

Reference : http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-K7APEX2-Electric-Guitar?sku=512547

Let's not forget the new S7320 which is also a good 7-string guitar for the money!

• Members

It seems that ESP has really set the standard for features and price in that style of guitar. It's good to see that Ibanez and Jackson are matching them - Jackson's putting real Duncans in some of their mid-level guitars, and now Ibanez putting Dimarzios on them. Very cool. :thu:

• Members

For you. I don't get along with Ibanez's neck shape, whereas I can actually stand to play Jacksons.

Nah I agree to an extent. Trying to play any type of chords on my ibanez leads to instant hand crampage...and thats the fatter wizard II neck....try playing a original wizard or prestige...but i like it..i do have big hands though..

atleast it's not a V neck!

• Members

Nah I agree to an extent. Trying to play any type of chords on my ibanez leads to instant hand crampage...and thats the fatter wizard II neck....try playing a original wizard or prestige...but i like it..i do have big hands though..

atleast it's not a V neck!

Keep in mind the guitars I have in my sig - my SG has a really fat neck, and my Tele has a '52 RI neck which is huge.

I don't shred, though, so I don't worry about a little bit more to grab on to.

• Members
For you. I don't get along with Ibanez's neck shape, whereas I can actually stand to play Jacksons.

+1

Never got along with Ibanez's. To me they always played and sounded like the "kids toys" of guitars, aimed at the 14 year olds that want a cheap "MEtuLzz" guitar.

I've tried so hard to like them, I just cant :( Owned 3, each time hoping for something nice.

• Members
+1

Never got along with Ibanez's. To me they always played and sounded like the "kids toys" of guitars, aimed at the 14 year olds that want a cheap "MEtuLzz" guitar.

I've tried so hard to like them, I just cant
:(
Owned 3, each time hoping for something nice.

I felt the exact same way...Even the vaunted old RG550 left me feeling uninspired. And ther HORRIBLE pups were part of the problem. Even some of the newer strats just didn't make me say WOW. My USA Custom Dinky...DID! My USA HAMER DID! Even my tempermental USA Brian Moore makes me say YEAH.
HEll even my beloved trans-black Epi Custom LP makes feel GOOD about playing it.

But not the Ibanez guitar. I did play a few basses that seem really nice for the price.

However, I came across THIS in a store and picked itup the next week:

blondie008.jpg

blondie001.jpg
blondie010.jpg

blondie009.jpg

Plays and sounds great right outta the box. I don't think I will even change pups inless I just get bored.

• Members
It seems that ESP has really set the standard for features and price in that style of guitar. It's good to see that Ibanez and Jackson are matching them - Jackson's putting real Duncans in some of their mid-level guitars, and now Ibanez putting Dimarzios on them. Very cool.
:thu:

You sir, are absolutely correct. I think that ESP kicked it all into gear when they released the LTD EC-1000 and other 1000 series guitars. Then following that up with the improved 400 series guitars. Think about all the abalone binding you see all over the place now.

Then Jackson stepped up with the new MIJ Pro series. At the same time Everyone caught the Tone Pros bug and locking tuners started becoming standard equipment on MIJ and MIK imports.

Dean has some very, very nice MIK models that match everyone except they havn`t made the step to after market pups. PRS has the SE series. Parker has some killer MIK Fly models.

IMO, this is the best market ever in the guitar industry. CNC manufacturing techniques and bulk buying practices have finally equalled out the price to performance/quality equation.

I see more and more pro guitarist playing $1K MIK and MIJ guitars. Not only endorsing, but actually playing and touring with these killer instruments.

Awesome {censored}.:thu:

Eric

• Members

IMO, this is the best market ever in the guitar industry. CNC manufacturing techniques and bulk buying practices have finally equalled out the price to performance/quality equation.

Eric

Agreed 100%, and I'm all the more grumpy because of it. :D

When I started out 13 years ago, I was happy to get a guitar that stayed in tune for $300. Nowadays, a $300 guitar gets something gig-worthy, for sure.

It makes me not weep for the youf.

• Members

Keep in mind the guitars I have in my sig - my SG has a really fat neck, and my Tele has a '52 RI neck which is huge.

I don't shred, though, so I don't worry about a little bit more to grab on to.

The funny thing is while I LOVE the thin ass prestige ibanez necks I also LOVE sg's. Not anything particular about the SG, but just always an all around easilly playable guitar for me. I really want to pick one up. Has to be a real gibson though, I played both the gibson and ep at gc and the ep had horrible frets they were scratchy!

• Members
I felt the exact same way...Even the vaunted old RG550 left me feeling uninspired. And ther HORRIBLE pups were part of the problem. Even some of the newer strats just didn't make me say WOW. My USA Custom Dinky...DID! My USA HAMER DID! Even my tempermental USA Brian Moore makes me say YEAH.

HEll even my beloved trans-black Epi Custom LP makes feel GOOD about playing it.

But not the Ibanez guitar. I did play a few basses that seem really nice for the price.

However, I came across THIS in a store and picked itup the next week:

blondie008.jpg

blondie001.jpg
blondie010.jpg

blondie009.jpg

Plays and sounds great right outta the box. I don't think I will even change pups inless I just get bored.

Ibanez really kicked the semi-hollow and hollow body market in the ass when they came out with the Artcore series. That custom model you posted is a really sweet guitar. I did a side by side with it and a Gibby 335 at my local GC. I was very suprised even though I already owned an Artcore semi-hollow. The Ibanez was far, far nicer than the Gibby. I`m no Gibson hater either, but it was obvious to even my wife which guitar was better made. The Ibanez fit and finish was almost perfect. The Gibby was also good, but had some overspray and binding joint issues. Also had some file marks on a couple of frets, although it was not a playability issue. Both were great guitar and both played well, but everyone standing around agreed that the Ibanez was the guitar they would take home.

I love my AGS83B. It`s one of the most unique and beautiful semi-hollow guitars that I`ve ever seen. I plan on keeping it for life.

100_0428.jpg

100_0475.jpg

• Members

it's about damn time! and it's a trend i'm glad to see in mid-level guitars; i for one have probably replaced pickups in about 15-20 guitars in that range that i've owned, and it's nice to see some companies offereing EMG's, duncans, and dimarzios in guitars @ decent prices

for the brands you guys are talking about i'd rank them like this

LTD- i love their style, they offer a handful of models that are to my liking
Ibanez- their quality is top notch, and i think they've always ruled the 7 string market
schecter- great product all around
jackson- even tho they're nice, i'm not big on their current MIJ stuff

btw that apex 7 string you posted eric goes for $699; they also have an $1800 japan version

http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/inventory/Details.cfm?ProductTypeID=14&BrandID=18

• Members

Hey Baz...I ALMOST bought that same guitar. It is truly nice. Very antique violin-like.

Someobody dinged it up pretty good (Sam Ash). Not just a top ding but right on the joint. They knocked off like 30 dollars....I Said "you SURE?"

"Yes".

No thanks.

I Originally WANTED that one. Very unique...my compliments!

• Members
I was just looking around the Ibanez website and noticed what I hope is a new trend in their production guitars.

For years we`ve all loved how Ibanez guitars played and the high quality you get for a pretty reasonable price. No matter how cheap or how expensive the model it always stacks up very well to all the competition. Except in one area....

Pickups.

But I now notice a new trend with Ibanez. Since they have enjoyed a close relationship with Dimarzio, we`ve always seen the designed by Dimarzio stock pups in Ibanez guitars. Even the high end Prestige series guitars were loaded with these pups. But in the last year I have noticed Ibanez loading their guitars with actual Dimarzio pickups more and more often. At the same time, Ibanez is still keeping their cost to value ratio very tight.

In some instances you will notice that even though a new model now comes with actual Dimarzio pups, the price has not increased in proportion to this improvement. Meaning that Ibanez is giving us even more for our $$$`s. That`s pretty damn sweet.

And to top it off, they are doing it at all price levels. For instance I was looking at the new V model that is in the X series. Check this out.

mahogany body

5-piece Wizard II neck-through

binding on body, fretboard and headstock

upgraded Gibralter bridge(very substantial)

**Dimarzio D-Activater humbuckers (neck & bridge)**

And this guitar is priced well below $1K even with a matching HSC. That is a lot of freaking guitar for the price. And to top it off, it`s even a pretty nice looking V. Just different enough to stand out from the crowd, but not gimmiky.

VBT700BK.png

Mahogany body

5-piece Wizard II 7-string neck

*Tone-Pros bridge (1st I`ve seen on an Ibanez)*

**Dimarzio PAF Pro 7-string pups (neck & Bridge)**

Also very sweet and a great deal on a 7-string. I`m not sure, but I think this model will sell in the $1K range. Correct me if I`m wrong please. I also like the finish which is a flat green. Something that you don`t see every day. The Tone Pros bridge is also a killer new feature that I`ve not seen before on an Ibanez guitar.

APEX2GSF.png

I like this trend that Ibanez is starting. I would like to see this spread throughout their product range. Better pups and new hardware. Very nice.

Eric

You must be taking about the 1132 metalheads of the world when you say "everybody". Man, those are some humorous guitars. Carry on.:wave:

Archived