Ibanez, making moves in the right direction.

BAZGUITARMAN

• Members

you're leaving out Schecter. they make some amazing guitars for the money. my Blackjack C-7 baritone is loaded with a Duncan JB and '59, Grover tuning machines, set neck, etc. i gave $500 for it brand new. it feels, sounds, and plays amazing.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

blondie008.jpg

blondie009.jpg

I had a customer bring me a guitar like this once. It was an Ibanez semi from the 80s - don't ask me details I don't know.

Anyway, he wanted the Ibanez logo removed, his words "I can't stand to have such a nice guitar and that gay nu metal logo on it"... Sad but true. Its amazing the lengths some will go to in the name of stereotyping!

• Members

DiMarzio has never said they had anything to do with the design of an Ibanez pickups, other than the ones marked IBZ/DiMarzio,of course. Not the V7/V8 either. There seems to be an internet rumor that DiMarzio designed the V7/V8. I think they are good pickups in the correct positions, the V8 in the neck position being my favorite.

• Members
+1

Never got along with Ibanez's. To me they always played and sounded like the "kids toys" of guitars, aimed at the 14 year olds that want a cheap "MEtuLzz" guitar.

I've tried so hard to like them, I just cant
:(
Owned 3, each time hoping for something nice.

I disagree, I think Ibanez makes nice guitars in the Prestige line and for $800-$1000 they're not bad specially with the Ibanez neck but they're not fit to carry the Soloist's wash cloth and just looking at the neck on a Soloist alone will embarrass any Ibanez owner. :lol:

I own a few Soloists and 2 Prestige 1570s but no one in the right mind is going to compare a $2000+ instrument to a $800 one. It's just not happening or to be taken seriously. The Ibanez tone is too thin to be compared to great guitars like a Soloist, Les Paul, ESP or a sick all Mahogany Soloist that has to be heard. :thu:

• Members
Ibanez are well crap. Jap squiers are loads better

LOL are you serious?

You do know that Japanese Ibanez and Japanese Squiers are made in the same factory right?

I've got 3 RG's. Varying levels of quality, one Korean late 80s, and two Japanese RG's.

Each one of htem was excellent for the money, but my RG520 is a phenomenal guitar, IMO. A pickup swap and it's perfect for me. :)

PeaveyClassic120b.jpg

It's hard to beat the quality you get for sheer craftsmanship and hardware (not counting pickups) from Ibanez for the price, and when you buy used it just makes it hard to justify buying ANYTHING else. I got that blue RG520 for $350 with a case. I'd put it against any other $350 guitar out there. It's got a tremolo that's actually a quality piece unlike most of the others in this range.

And for those that dont know, a 520 is basically equivalent to a new 1520.

• Members

I really like the Ibanezes I have (all MIJ) but this recent trend to make {censored} in Indonesia has turned me off of them on all but the high end pieces. If you compare the $400 (before new pickups) RG421 I have to the current MII RG321 replacing it, the differences are glaring.

I'm not buying the "CNC makes all labor equal" argument. It doesn't. My next guitar will most likely be a Carvin or ESP. And I mean ESP, not LTD.

Ibanez's Artcores I've played are quite nice though, for being MIC. Maybe they should have gone that route for their RG line instead of Indonesia.

• Members

I disagree, I think Ibanez makes nice guitars in the Prestige line and for $800-$1000 they're not bad specially with the Ibanez neck but they're not fit to carry the Soloist's wash cloth and just looking at the neck on a Soloist alone will embarrass any Ibanez owner.
:lol:

I own a few Soloists and 2 Prestige 1570s but no one in the right mind is going to compare a $2000+ instrument to a $800 one. It's just not happening or to be taken seriously. The Ibanez tone is too thin to be compared to great guitars like a Soloist, Les Paul, ESP or a sick all Mahogany Soloist that has to be heard.
:thu:

:blah: :blah:

I'd put this up against a Soloist anyday:

RGT320QRBB.png

Not everybody thinks the Soloist is the be all, end all rock guitar. I've played many Soloists, and while they're nice I would definitely not say they are better than a high end Prestige or J-Custom.

• Members

This sounds like ANOTHER one that can't afford a Soloist. It never fails, those that can't afford the mighty Soloist will always compare a {censored} Ibanez under $1000 to it.
:deadhorse:

I happen to own a USA Select Jackson (the 2000$+ ones from the pre-Fender era mind you), a Gibson USA Les Paul, among numerous other guitars. They are all rotting as ornaments on my wall except my Ibanez JAPANESE S470 and my Ibanez INDONESIAN RG7321. How about that? :love:

• Members

I'd only get an Ibanez to fool around with for shreddy little Gilbert-esque stuff, but I could probably pick up an actual Charvel or something from the 80's for cheaper.

They're great guitars for what they do. Frankly, I wouldn't really go out of my way to own one though.

• Members

the problem I alaways have with cheap import guitars like esp/ibanez/ltd isnt so much the hardware or playability...it's the lack of tone out of 6-7 pieces of low grade wood being held together by a ton of glue... some of the new ibanezes are oiled and you can actually see they use some nice wood but I would still play it first....

• Members

Well, Ibanez has always put the real dimarzio's in their higher end guitars. I'm not sure why the prestige didn't have them, probably because the wood cost was too high.

I've always played the USA customs or endorsee models and they always came stock with good p/ups.

The RG's and S's are the middle of the road models. So while they are nice guitars, they are still low end compared to the custom shops or USA or Japan (only) guitars.

But, I did pickup (no pun intended) an 1994 RG760 with hs case for $270 at GC in very good condition. $120 and one hour later I had a sweet guitar with the pickups that I wanted, so there is something to be said about the older RG's.

• Members
I own a few Soloists and 2 Prestige 1570s but no one in the right mind is going to compare a $2000+ instrument to a $800 one. It's just not happening or to be taken seriously. The Ibanez tone is too thin to be compared to great guitars like a Soloist, Les Paul, ESP or a sick all Mahogany Soloist that has to be heard.
:thu:

Not knocking the "soloist" here, but the Prestige model that you own(ed) is the cheapest prestige model made. I own a Prestige RG2020x, which was one of the highest models: it has a mahagony body, maple top, floyd w/ piezo's, and a thicker neck. I dropped a Duncan JB in the bridge and the 59 in the neck and it can do Schenker, to Van Halen, to Hendrix to acoustic. I would place this guitar against any guitar in the $1000-$2000.

Apples to apples: Dinky to RG550 - which wins?

• Members
I happen to own a USA Select Jackson (the 2000$+ ones from the pre-Fender era mind you), a Gibson USA Les Paul, among numerous other guitars. They are all rotting as ornaments on my wall except my Ibanez JAPANESE S470 and my Ibanez
INDONESIAN
RG7321. How about that?
:love:

Well, first you have to actually get me to believe that and then you'd have to show me pics of your arsenal. It might be difficult to get me to believe you so there you have it.

• Members

I bought a RG3120 years ago at a discontinued sale ($650 new). I know they retailed for much more, but the guitar is absolutely amazing. The Japanese Prestige models are incredible. The one thing my guitar had though was it came stock with a Tone Zone and a PAF Pro. I figured this would be Ibanez's plan for all Prestige models, but apparently they didn't do that anymore.

So, $650 for an RG3120 with real dimarzios, hell I thought it was practically a steal.

• Members
Well, Ibanez has always put the real dimarzio's in their higher end guitars. I'm not sure why the prestige didn't have them, probably because the wood cost was too high.

I've always played the USA customs or endorsee models and they always came stock with good p/ups.

The RG's and S's are the middle of the road models. So while they are nice guitars, they are still low end compared to the custom shops or USA or Japan (only) guitars.

But, I did pickup (no pun intended) an 1994 RG760 with hs case for $270 at GC in very good condition. $120 and one hour later I had a sweet guitar with the pickups that I wanted, so there is something to be said about the older RG's.

One question for you Ibanez dudes. Have you guys heard of an RG580? Some dude is selling one from 87/88 and it's supposed to be Mahogany body but I haven't seen anything on it. Don't bother trying to get it..it's for backwards players like myself. :D (Lefty)

• Members
One question for you Ibanez dudes. Have you guys heard of an RG580? Some dude is selling one from 87/88 and it's supposed to be Mahogany body but I haven't seen anything on it. Don't bother trying to get it..it's for backwards players like myself.
:D
(Lefty)

I've seen them but I don't think they were ever made for the US market. Definitely available in Japan though. Basically the same as a RG570 with a different body, though I thought it was swamp ash. Guess not.

Archived