Korg has "major announcement" on september 4:th

big thing

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think most of us would consider a new midrange rompler a major announcement.

But an analog synth would qualify. Even if it used the existing tech like a monotribe/ monotron delay /and microsampler all integrated into a new chassis with 37 keys.

• Members

If Korg released a full featured analog synth and it was a good one, it would be a truly revolutionary move for a Big Three company. And I know it would sell well. I would buy one.

It's time for larger companies to realize that analog is back. Moog and DSI (to name just two) are posting solid sales and releasing new models all the time. Even Arturia has a new analog on the market.

Meanwhile Roland obviously doesn't see the potential in it, as evidenced by the numerous missed opportunities to release an updated analog Jupiter. To me, the irony is that they have the most robust legacy in 80s analog synthesis. And they won't even release a mid-level VA, much less something analog.

But Korg is just edgy and weird enough (in a good way) to try something like this. They've been flirting with analog for a couple of years now, and I have to believe it's all for some reason. It would also give them a chance to leave Roland soundly in the dust. Korg would be the company that "gets" it.

If their big announcement turns out to be the Kronos Lite, it would be more evolutionary than revolutionary. Nice, I guess, but not a big deal.

I want an AnaTribe analog drum synthesizer and an AnaTribe desktop analog groove synth, or something like the EMX-1 that combines both.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ramkeys

View Post

Only one way to go.....KRONOS MICROSTATION 88 Richard

Funny, but if there was a 73-key Microstation with aftertouch, for say $699, I'd buy it. Even better if it had speakers (could be detachable) and if it could run on battery. (The bigger chassis of a 73 would provide the space to add speakers and battery.)

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RetroVintageOld

View Post

Why is this timed for the 4th? Why miss the labor day sales?

Announcement on the 4th usually means availability some weeks (at least) after. Why give people reasons to not buy all the existing Korg products that are actually in the stores during the labor day sales? You'll never see a new product announced the week before Xmas, either. ;-) Actually, after Labor Day is probably where you would plan to start building product awareness for people's Xmas purchases.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by zoink

View Post

It's time for larger companies to realize that analog is back. Moog and DSI (to name just two) are posting solid sales

I wonder, really, whether all the Moog and DSI sales combined represent any more than a blip on the radar for Korg, Yamaha, and Roland.

Quote Originally Posted by zoink

View Post

Meanwhile Roland obviously doesn't see the potential in it...they have the most robust legacy in 80s analog synthesis. And they won't even release a mid-level VA.

Although not dedicated to just VA, the Jupiter 50 with the iPad app might qualify. (Or maybe even the new Integra-7 module with the app.)

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherScott

View Post

I wonder, really, whether all the Moog and DSI sales combined represent any more than a blip on the radar for Korg, Yamaha, and Roland.

I doubt it. If they believed they could make any money in the analog synth business, they'd do it.

You also have to figure that sales of ALL hardware instruments have been whacked by software instruments.

These forums attract gear enthusiasts, but 99.99% of keyboard musicians are not on these forums.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by donaldcrunk

View Post

i'm aiming low, i'm hoping for a new Monotribe - with some different drum sounds and maybe different synth architecture, like their little guys. i'd be perfectly happy for that.

I have a Monotribe and I would definitely buy a Monotribe Duo or Delay (or whatever) too

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by keybdwizrd

View Post

I doubt it. If they believed they could make any money in the analog synth business, they'd do it.

True, but I have to wonder why a company like Korg is making inroads into the low end analog market. I can't help but think that the Monotron and Monotribe are building into something functional.

I also wonder why a company like Roland would go to the trouble of making something as elaborate and specialized as the Jupiter 80 knowing full well that it's not going to post record sales. In other words, clearly everything they release is not about the immediate sales volume. The return they'll get on the JP80 against the cost of R&D hardly seems worth it. But still they did it.

And then there's Korg with the Oasys. Granted, Korg spun off a lot of Oasys technology into the M3, Radias, and Kronos, to recoup the cost. But still they took the leap, and the hit, in developing it in the first place.

Roland also took a chance in inventing the groove box 15 years ago. The design was a nostalgic nod to their own 80s style drum machines, which they noticed were still highly sought after on the used market. The thing to remember about the groove box is that its appearance was timely. It was clearly a response to a growing trend. And they sold a LOT of MC303s and 505s.

The analog synth market keeps growing every year, and the real kicker is that this growth is feeding off of the low-end VA market. I've met quite a few synth players who started with low to mid range VAs and eventually graduated to analog. Rather than being strictly an alternative to analog, VAs are now the gateway drug to analog synthesis.

• Members

so guesses along the lines that it is indeed a range of real analogue synths/drum machines?

and what pricing?

ms20 with midi maybe $1999

Korg-ms20.jpg

poly six at $1500

polysix_small.jpg

korg 770 $599

artworks-000026506275-1zzodx-original.jp

korg trident at $3000

4a08_3.JPG

kpr 77 analogue drum machine $300

kpr77.jpg

BOTTOM LINE

a major announcement for me reads as a new range of music products, the company folding up, korg being bought by yamaha, or korg buying another company such as m audio or alesis/akai

personally i believe it's one of the latter.

• Members

or....

Quote Originally Posted by DSpec1

View Post

Ipad app

kronos lite on ipad

with in app purchases for sound banks

i remember someone looking inside the Kronos case and it's really just a laptop in it so the ipad 3 could do most of that.

the main cpu is an intel atom inside the kronos so no problem

S1310010.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead

View Post

i remember someone looking inside the Kronos case and it's really just a laptop in it so the ipad 3 could do most of that.

the main cpu is an intel atom inside the kronos so no problem]

First, the iPad is not nearly as capable as a laptop. For one thing, even the new iPad has only 1 gigabyte RAM (the original Kronos came with 2), and the older iPads have even less. It also has limitations in multitasking and streaming. (Also, look at those Kronos pics. It's not "really just a laptop" in there.)

• Members

What atom is it? Is it off the shelf? Does it have any DSPs?(I remember, that some body said, that Oasys and Kronos does not have DSPs, but I have hard time believing, that Windows would be SOOOO heavy, that Kronos pushes 9 engines with legions of polyphony and, what, 16 audio tracks, lots of effects, while my 4 core PC starts coughing, when I add second effect to just one synth!!!)

And while talking analog, lets go straight to PS-3300. Like 4 voice version for mortals, and 48 for Beatles members in heaven. Or what ever place they are making songs nowadays.

Archived