Is there anyone on these boards 21 and under NOT playing metal or some *core?

JBecker

• Members

i'm 22 and i listen to all kinds of music, from rap to classical and metal and most of the stuff I play in my band project is pop- well we do have 1 metal song but that's one song among 5 or so pop songs and one electronica song also.

As a disclaimer, I have to point out that the "band" is only me and my friend and that I'm responsible for drums and bass also - so I guess that leaves me open to do pretty much whatever the hell I want (also I don't have quite the skill set on drums for metal- rock, possibly hardcore, but not metal yet). But I do think that metal is a lot of fun to play, in moderation - why not spread the wealth and play all different styles of music?

I'll agree that the forum is definately dominated by talk of metal & metal amps but when you look at the amp market & most of the boutique market, a lot of it is geared towards metal so I think it's only natural that the forum goes in that direction. Or it could just be that it seems that way because we're all obsessed with metal here..:freak: My amp collection includes a fender deluxe, egnater TOL 50 (not metal amps), a mesa roadking (I don't use this for metal- I would say more of a rock sound), and a VHT pitbull - u got me on that last one:wave:

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I'll agree that the forum is definately dominated by talk of metal & metal amps but when you look at the amp market & most of the boutique market, a lot of it is geared towards metal so I think it's only natural that the forum goes in that direction. Or it could just be that it seems that way because we're all obsessed with metal here..
:freak:
My amp collection includes a fender deluxe, egnater TOL 50 (not metal amps), a mesa roadking (I don't use this for metal- I would say more of a rock sound), and a VHT pitbull - u got me on that last one:wave:

There is way more boutique stuff that isn't metal. I guess that's the exact point...

• Members
Okay...maybe you guys are right. Maybe I am just in denial. Fighting the stream of pure metalness.

Alex Lifeson is metal.

Progressive........... but still METAL.

RUSH rocks!

Now (spoken in deep voice) .....................................

HC5567.jpg

17 Tubes...... Join me. Come to teh dark side.

Cuuuuuuuuuu................caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• Members
There is way more boutique stuff that isn't metal. I guess that's the exact point...

true dat- all of the %13, victoria, komet, matchless, etc. I've never played any of the boutique stuff that wasn't high gain cause I guess I'm happy with my fender for cleans. With the assortment of ~$100 pedals out there, I honestly think you can find one that gives you whatever slight OD sound you're after.. To me it just seems that if you try to get high gain out of pedals, it starts to sound SS... maybe I AM really a metal head :cry:

......and plus, what good are those amps if you can't use them to scare women and children away with teh br:mad: :mad: tal metalz:confused:

• Members

I'm 16 and I play in a band, it's like a cross between the Strokes, Radiohead and...I dunno lots else.. I'll put a link in my sig when we've recorded a better demo this summer. But I play classical music and jazz to a high level as well (on other instruments) so I take that knowledge to guitar to get different results to most people I guess. I play blues-style as well, lots of Hendrix but mostly in my own time. The bassist and I always piss off the singer by jamming to early Chilis stuff as well ;)

• Members
You don't count. Sorry. I don't talk to you. I never will. NEVER. NEVERRR.

Where did you even find this thread... it's been a few hours...

hah, it's in the highlighted ones that i haven't read yet.

hoping it dies so you can save your reputation? that won't happen when i'm around, lol.

:thu:

• Members
hah, it's in the highlighted ones that i haven't read yet.

hoping it dies so you can save your reputation? that won't happen when i'm around, lol.

:thu:

Nope... I don't care if it dies... I'm just surprised there haven't been enough threads today to bury it. I started the thread figuring it'd hit page 2 (100+ posts for me)...

• Members

I play hard rock...ala: My Chemical Romance

That ain't hard rock... it that's hard rock Phil Collins is death metal. THESE guys are hard rock.

Led_Zeppelin_1979.jpg

115_TheWho1969.jpg

acdc.jpg

652967_356x237.jpg

Et cetera. Just a few examples. Oddly enough, that style of music is the style of music I play. :)

• Members

I'm 19, 20 in august, and I like playing other kinds of music just as much as metal... what's wrong with liking both?

Other than tech metal stuff, I'm into a lot of indie, prog, post rock, and ambient kinda bands... and like playing it too

Shhh...

You're on my good side...

• Members

I like a few older hardcore bands that lean to the metal side, like Converge, but I'm not real big on that type of music, and definitely not on modern metal and chugga chugga stuff.

I'll like pretty much anything that's weird and energetic. Heavy parts here and there are nice, but not a requirement. I'm pretty much a pentatonic wanker crossed with a mess of anti-guitar noises hehe.

• Members

Hmm..so young..so elitist.

Just because you don't see eye to eye with him doesn't make this elitist. He is simply trying to find out who else doesn't play metal, and is a young person. He's not denouncing those who do (apart from commenting on people making threads about the cheapest amp for brootal metal), but rather trying to get a perspective on the demographic here.

Not everything is a conspiricy.

• Members

21 here and while I love metal, I barely ever play it these days. My band is a huge mash of stuff that ranges from classic rock to blues to jazzy stuff to ratm type stuff. I used to listen to primarily metal but now it's mostly older stuff ala the beatles, the doors, miles davis, herbie hancock, james brown. And I've also been listening to a lot of the black key and white stripes. I've noticed since becoming a guitar player, my tastes have been changing continually. I've been taking lessons from a big jazz nut the past 2 years and I'm really starting to get into that right now.

Archived