Is there anyone on these boards 21 and under NOT playing metal or some *core?

JBecker

• Members

I had to go up to 21 since I just turned 20...

What's the deal? Me and rememberduane? Shea and PJ are both a few years older but playing some cool stuff.

Why is my generation and the one's following me represented by only this music?

Bah.

Carry on, 5150 players.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

it may seem like that. But just because I play in a metal band doesn't mean there is not tons of influence from jazz/blues etc.

Oh I'm not saying all metal heads don't listen to anything else, but the genre you enjoy enough to play is still that genre.

I listen to some stuff I consider to be metal, but I don't play it. Doesn't mean I'm not influenced by heavy music, but there is a huge difference...

• Members

well i just turned 25 last week, so i guess we are still kinda close. Im in a metal band, and lately i have been listening to anything but metal for influences. I usually write riffs over a james brown beat or some raps songs beat.

• Members

Why do you really care what other people play?

Generally I don't, but it's quite sad to me that every thread I open is about finding the most brutal amp under 500 dollars, it's always a poorly written post by someone in my age group, and, if the thread goes long enough, spirals into a long conversation about something stupid and genre specific, "Whatever man, my music is metal too!!!" type crap.

It's sad that I spend so much time talking to people out of my age group here because I'm not a metal head. It's sad that I can't find many people locally other than my own close friends at home who play music that cannot be defined as metal or *core in my age group to join up with.

It's sad that I haven't been going to shows like I did when I was 16 because at least then everyone wasn't playing the same song.

• Members

I'm definitely past 21 yoa, but I have noticed some younger guitarists getting into everything from blues and classic rock to jazz and doing really well at it. I wish I could go back in time and do things over; I wouldn't play any less metal or rock, but I WOULD have started before I was 19 and would've also had more than 3 or 4 lessons. :D

• Members

I think you need to check out other boards then because this one is generally accepted as the "metal" board.

There's still some variety, IMO, but some of the other HC forums such as the fx and guitar jam forums are definitely less into metal.

• Members

Why do you really care what other people play?

Well...this is a forum about amps but it's STILL...a forum. Playing styles will come up as a topic every now and then.

Here...tell ya what...I'll help you out. This one is for free:

(See #3)

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source

fo

• Members

I think you need to check out other boards then because this one is generally accepted as the "metal" board.

I've been posting nearly exclusively on these boards since I started hear and there used to be far more variation on this board despite being metal oriented. Truth is, there still is quite a bit. The alarming thing is that none of it is in my age group. I'll never leave these boards because these are the characters and friends I know, I just wish a few younger guys would play something else.

Plus, I have very little interest in the other forum's chatter-- I've been there, believe me, in what, 5+ years? I've looked at the other boards more than a few times.

• Members

Who accepts this as a "metal" board?

I don't. Most certainly not modern "metal".

There's all kinds of players on the board. They just don't write "brootalz" and "teh secks" and stuff like that.

• Members

Who accepts this as a "metal" board?

I don't. Most certainly not modern "metal".

There's all kinds of players on the board. They just don't write "brootalz" and "teh secks" and stuff like that.

In fact, I'm pretty sure there are less metal players on here then just a few years ago, but that's coming from the older age group not mine...

• Members

I had to go up to 21 since I just turned 20...

What's the deal? Me and rememberduane? Shea and PJ are both a few years older but playing some cool stuff.

Why is my generation and the one's following me represented by only this music?

Bah.

Carry on, 5150 players.

This forum really isn't representative of the larger demographic out there, metalheads tend to congregate here that's all.

I'm sure if you asked this question on a different forum (the effects forum for example), you might see that metalheads are a minority within those groups :D

• Members

This forum's demographics are biased... The Gear Page is full of blues fans, HCEF has a lot of indie kids, we got the metalcore guys.

The TGP split was a terrible thing for this forum. This place was way better prior to that split, and now, IMO, the parts are far less than the sum of the whole.

I lurk there to read some of the stuff I used to really enjoy over here though...

Archived