OT: What kind of watch do you wear?

TheGreatGreen

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Why the hell someone would spend several thousand or more on a watch is beyond me. It's not like it's necessary at all with modern technology and a clock on every electronic device we own. So then it becomes a status symbol. Well you just got out of college, so you don't have status...don't fake it.

• Members

Why the hell someone would spend several thousand or more on a watch is beyond me. It's not like it's necessary at all with modern technology and a clock on every electronic device we own. So then it becomes a status symbol. Well you just got out of college, so you don't have status...don't fake it.

In my defense, it's not about status or bling. It's about reliability. My father has a Rolex that he has worn pretty much every day for the past 30 years and it still looks as good and works as well as it did when he first got it. He is a farmer. He works with cattle and repairs equipment such as planters and tractors all the time. He didn't get it for the bling factor. That watch has been through a ton of {censored} and back, and still works as if it's never seen the outside of its box. I think that says a lot about a well made watch.

Time is something we all keep track of and live by, and having a reliable device that tells it is important to lots of folks. The way I look at it is this: spend a little more on a better quality thing now, and spend less overall in the long run, considering repairs and replacements of lesser quality goods in the future.

I understand that time is something that will usually be available in a lot of forms and a lot of places, but as important as it is, I'd rather have a device I can rely on to tell me the time right now and for years to come.

• Members

I have a "cheap" citizen ecodrive that I wear daily. Nice enough for formal stuff, cheap enough (a few hundred bucks) that I can wear it anytime without being paranoid. I have never owned an "expensive" (think a few grand) watch, so I can't comment on those.

I have one of these in titanium ... i destroy watches and now this watch destorys whatever i bang against. i would ruin rolex and omega bands ... so determine your usage before you buy something expensive. unless of course you are starting as a VP of sales for Microsoft where money is no object - it is for me.

Archived