So, how many of you never break strings?

JoshuaLogan

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I broke strings a lot when I first started playing. For my first year or so I probably broke one every 6 weeks. After that point, somewhere along the line, I just stopped and haven't broken a string since.

Technique I guess.

Once in a blue moon I'll break one when changing strings.

• Members

I don't remember the last time I broke a string. It's been years. I pick pretty hard, and bend and vibrato the life out of everything I can. I used to use 12s in C#/Drop B, I've been using 10s in Eb for the past year and a half, and still no issues.

I used to break my low E all the time when I was first starting out.

• Members

I'm amazed at how many of you break so few strings. 5 broken strings in 30 years???
Currently I break a string about once every 2-3 months. Back during my first 10 yrs of playing, I easily broke one string per week.

Probably have broken 300-500 stings over 25 years of playing. Thankfully having a Floyd rose allowed at least 50% of the breaks to be re-used. Or maybe the floyd caused all the breaks.............who knows................

• Members

I do use a Stubby 2mm and the one thing I do which will cause a lot of breaks is this Lynch thing around the 20th fret where I take the high E and B and do a double step bend to get this god awful scream.

That and doing the Vai holding the guitar by the bar and bringing the pitch way up and then lowering the guitar thingie :freak:

• Members

I almost never break strings. If they get too old, even just sitting in a case I can feel the difference. I have had the same set on my main SG for a good 3 months. They need to be changed but I have not gotten around to it yet. You can see the wear from the frets on the string. Still have not broken one.

I cant stand to change one string. If one breaks the whole set needs to be changed.

i'm the exact same way. i usually feel them dull and notice the grooves on the strings where they meet the frets, then change the set. i don't like changing one string either, i'd rather just break the whole set in together and have a fresh start.

• Members

i cant even remember the last time i broke a string...its been 5 years plus. before that i was a really heavy-handed player and broke a couple strings every so often.

hardtail, floyd...doesnt matter. no broke strings, no matter what i do to them. 9-46 on my standard to D standard guitars, 11-50 for anything lower (to B). pinch harmonics, Floyd squealies, huge bends...they just dont break.

i use DR Coated strings, and Dunlop Tortex Jazz 1.14mm picks.

• Members
I do use a Stubby 2mm and the one thing I do which will cause a lot of breaks is this Lynch thing around the 20th fret where I take the high E and B and do a double step bend to get this god awful scream.

That and doing the Vai holding the guitar by the bar and bringing the pitch way up and then lowering the guitar thingie
:freak:

yeah, it's gotta be the pick. I don't like really thick or stiff picks. I tried doing the heavier strings, and thick picks thing, and it's just not for me. I thought it was working decently well, then I went back to looser strings and my nylons and I still like it better.... *shrug*

• Members

I used to break strings quite a bit playing regular slinky's with a 1 mm pick. A friend recommended DR strings, I switched to DR 11-50's and have broke one string in the past 18 months. I play hardcore a full step down. Never broke a string on stage, haven't broken one at practice since the day I started using DR's. I swear by em.

• Members

I rarely break them, but I do change them very frequently. I also hate having strings with varying ages. Like, breaking a B string...and changing it without changing the rest. I like them to wear evenly, I guess. Call me anal.

Infact, I can't remember the last time I caused a string to break by my playing. I have broken a high e trying to tune it by ear when I was drunk(and it almost went through my hand somehow) but that's about it.

Archived