So, how many of you never break strings?

JoshuaLogan

• Members

Just wondering. I hardly ever break strings. Maybe 1 within the last year, and I think because it was old....

My friend Mike (who is the guitarist I play with mostly) says he never breaks them either, but I've heard guys on here talk about how they break strings constantly, so I'm just curious.

:wave:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Haven't broken a string in at least 10 years. Maybe much longer, I can't recall.

My buddy Eric broke two in a row at a gig last night, but he is Mr. Hammerhand. He gets in trouble when he lets his right hand go too near the bridge.

I change my strings (acoustic & electric) about every 4 gigs or 6 weeks, whichever comes first.

Guage: 11s on electric, 12s on the acoustic.

• Members

I almost never break strings. If they get too old, even just sitting in a case I can feel the difference. I have had the same set on my main SG for a good 3 months. They need to be changed but I have not gotten around to it yet. You can see the wear from the frets on the string. Still have not broken one.

I cant stand to change one string. If one breaks the whole set needs to be changed.

• Members

when i switched from d'addarios to ernie ball 10-52's i havent broken a single string

I used to use those too, but now I'm tuned a little lower (one and a half steps down) and using the 11-54 "beefy slinky" ones.... I don't break strings. I don't know why. haha.

Probably has something to do with the fact that I don't really pick very close to the bridge... it's always about inbetween middle of the pickups or higher up towards the neckup or more (depending on how I want it to sound).... and I don't pick very hard, so that's probably why....

• Members

To be perfectly honest... I've broke one string in the past 6 months. Since switching to Elixir it seems to never happen.

If you're constantly breaking strings at the bridge then it's time to have a look at your saddles, they are most likely to blame.

10-52 btw

Archived