So, how many of you never break strings?

JoshuaLogan

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I hardly ever do. One time we were practicing though and I hadn't changed my strings in months(felt gross). In the middle of a song I broke a high E. No biggie, changed it and started the song again. Then I broke the low E. I thought wtf and changed it. Then the g string broke when we started the song so I said {censored} it, and changed all of them. It was weird though, I hadn't broke a string in years, then I break 3 in 10 minutes.

• Members

If you break a lot of strings I'm betting there's a burr at your bridge or on your locking nut or ...

Dremel with a buffing attachement is your friend.

I gig often, usually 1-2 a week except lately, a bit of a dry spell. I've broken one string in the last 10 years and that was when I was putting it on and tuning it up to pitch. I'm sure it was defective cuz it broke right at the ball end.

Oh and I'm one of those guys with acid sweat who can turn a fresh set of strings black in one set (I'm exaggerating but my pH is tough on strings).

• Members

I've broken 3 or 4 strings in 20+ years. The first was when I discovered open G. I tuned down to open g, then up to normal...then down to G ..then up etc. :D

The other times were when I dragged an old guitar out of the closet with strings that were over a year old.

I've tried just about every brand of 9-42's and I've never had trouble with any of them.

• Members

I break strings more often when I use thick picks. When I use medium or thin picks I usually change the strings because they've lost their tone long before they break. Also, I changed up from 9's to 10's, so they last a little longer. I used to use 8's for a while with a thin pick and they would last surprisingly long, they would rarely break from big bends it was usually from rythmn playing. I tend to pick much harder than other guitarists I know, that would probably contribute a lot.

• Members

Haven't broken a string in at least 10 years. Maybe much longer, I can't recall.

My buddy Eric broke two in a row at a gig last night, but he is Mr. Hammerhand. He gets in trouble when he lets his right hand go too near the bridge.

I change my strings (acoustic & electric) about every 4 gigs or 6 weeks, whichever comes first.

Guage: 11s on electric, 12s on the acoustic.

I play 11's on the electric and they usually break once they get a little older, like 20 or more hours playing time. I chalk it up to the fact that I use the Gator Grip 2.0 picks, and have a pretty heavy hand, not so much the age of the strings.

On the acoustic I go with 13s and rarely have a string break.

• Members

I break strings more often when I use thick picks. When I use medium or thin picks I usually change the strings because they've lost their tone long before they break. Also, I changed up from 9's to 10's, so they last a little longer. I used to use 8's for a while with a thin pick and they would last surprisingly long, they would rarely break from big bends it was usually from rythmn playing. I tend to pick much harder than other guitarists I know, that would probably contribute a lot.

What kind of speaker is that in your avatar? The frame looks exactly like the frame for my Fane AXA12.

Archived