So, how many of you never break strings?

JoshuaLogan

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sometimes I won't bring two guitars, especially if my strings have been on for more then a few days, then they are at least broken in some and don't fall out of tune.

My Epiphone is such a different beast from my Gibson and the Epiphone sounds more metal so I don't really play it as much.

• Members

I think we should also add what size picks are being used to make this a fair comparison. Half the time I'm using 1.5 mm, other half 2.0 mm.

Usually I use Dunlop Big Stubbies, 2mm or 3mm, depending on my mood. Sometimes I'll use Dunlop Nylon 1mms for recording when I want a brighter tone or less thump, usually for clean stuff. I use the trem on my Strat very little, usually when I'm doing David Gilmour type stuff, otherwise not at all. I usually go back and forth between the Strat and my EC1000, which is a hardtail, of course. Pretty much no whammy action for me; it's just not part of my style.

I use 12-56s tuned to Eb on the acoustic, with the 2mm pick almost exclusively, and I don't break strings on there, either. I don't think I've ever broken an acoustic string, and I use just as much bending and vibrato (where applicable) and pick just as hard on acoustic as I do on electric.

• Members

I play 9's and 8's.. though I'm planning on switching over to 10's.

I never break strings, pick gauge is whatever fender heavy is.

And when I say I never break strings.. I mean NEVER..never in my entire career of guitar playing have I ever broken a string.

though I do change them every 6 months.

I use EB slinkies/super slinkies//whatever is cheapest at the store.

though I plan on trying out those webstrings.com strings.

• Members

I've been playing since I was 12 (I'm 38 now) and I have broken a grand total of 4 strings in my entire life. It has happened so few times that I actually remember every single time too. I always thought it was strange when people say that they break strings all the time. I'm kind of heavy handed too. I used 10's when I was younger and I have been using 11's for a long time now - maybe thats why??? I have no idea.

• Members

I've been to a show where.. this one guy broke seriously 4 strings in 3 minutes, luckily it was only during rehearsal, but WOW! 4 strings?

and then his strap broke.

So maybe it was just him having a bad day.. but mang.

I'd hate to be breaking strings//crap left and right.

Archived