Put a Graphic EQ in your Effects Loop... NOW

Chrisjd

• Members

Here's a question for all of you who are doing this... what style music do you play?

it seems that most of you play heavy stuff, but could someone who plays rootsy stuff benefit also?

I would think so.

I think the reasons for me liking it are that it really clears the gain up and fills the tone out. Not sure how much your tone needs this considering you probably don't use much gain.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here's a question for all of you who are doing this... what style music do you play?

it seems that most of you play heavy stuff, but could someone who plays rootsy stuff benefit also?

I would imagine so. Putting a GE-7 in front of my decidedly non high gain peavey classic 30 still gives low to mid-gain tones a much more "3D" feel... I have a hard time explaining it. But in my experience a decent EQ pedal is as close to a "magic pedal" as you can get.

• Members

I would imagine so. Putting a GE-7 in front of my decidedly non high gain peavey classic 30 still gives low to mid-gain tones a much more "3D" feel... I have a hard time explaining it. But in my experience a decent EQ pedal is as close to a "magic pedal" as you can get.

If you like it in the front, that's quite a bit different. You're EQing the guitar, not the amp.

• Members

Cry harder.

Oh come on dude...I was just joking.

But seriously....with so much eq in the loop use, are amp makers making them wrong?

And I really was kidding....gimme a break! I even used a damn smilie, that might be a huge clue, since by your return comment you know my style isn't to really use them.

• Members

Oh come on dude...I was just joking.

But seriously....with so much eq in the loop use, are amp makers making them wrong?

I think the point is to have absolute control. For instance, I love my Dual Rec but I only have 4 controls for EQ. Bass, Mid, treble, presence. With a high band EQ you can take that sound you love and tweak it even more. Doesn't mean I don't like the sound of my amp or that I think it sucks without it.

• Members

I think the point is to have absolute control. For instance, I love my Dual Rec but I only have 4 controls for EQ. Bass, Mid, treble, presence. With a high band EQ you can take that sound you love and tweak it even more. Doesn't mean I don't like the sound of my amp or that I think it sucks without it.

That's exactly whaty I mean about "making it wrong". Would seem players want more control.

• Members

I've recently purchased a VHT ultralead without the graphic EQ

if i put an eq in the effects loop will this give me the same result as the one with the EQ?

i presume i'd have to get a decent one... any suggestions?

it would be similar...it really depends on the circuit used for the EQ, as not all EQ's are created equal.

• Members

how much better is this then something like the ge-7 or fish 'n chips?

It's not, unless you have some specific application that calls for it. With guitar, that's generally not going to be the case. Same deal as the 30 bazillion band graphic EQs. There is very little potential for them to accomplish anything more with something as limited in frequency range as guitar, and the application being a guitar rig itself.

If you will notice, there don't appear to be any parametric EQs marketed as guitar products made today. The logic behind that is pretty clear. There are many things that aren't terribly useful to begin with that there is more point in selling to the average guitar player before parametric EQs.

Archived