Put a Graphic EQ in your Effects Loop... NOW

Chrisjd

• Members

I have always put a graphic EQ in the loop of my 5150II. It has always added a lot to my tone. Really cleans it up, and adds some nice girth to it, all while maintaining that sheering top and sizzle/cut/grind.

So, Last night at practice I tried it in the loop of my Cobra. I turned the FX mix all the way up. Kept all the levels on the eq flat, except i suck out some 200k and add some 1.6 k.

All I can say is DAMN, my tone cleaned up really nicely. It seemed to provide even more string separation, but also saturated the amp a little more! The tone was fatter yet crisper at the same time. Chords were smooth but with a raw top end.

Basically, the tone was MUCH more ear pleasing and put a big smile on my face. everbody should try this...

P.S. Here is the eq i was using, on manual mode...

PEDALE+BOSS+EQ+20+GRAPHIC+EQUALIZER.JPG

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've got the mxr 10 band in the loop of my mesa studio. Really great addition. I use it primarily as a solo boost since the mesa doesn't have one of it's own. It's kept relatively flat with a slight decrease in the lower section and it progressively just rises up a hair as it progresses up to the upper end.

But yes... vuury nice.

• Members

But my mark III already has one:thu:

So does my studio pre but that didn't stop the mxr from adding total awesomness to the tone.

The mxr and other eq's have more range and can fill in the inbetween frequencies the mesa's eq lacks. Like that area between the 4th and 5th sliders.. lots of awesomeness to be had between those.

Archived