When do you predict tubes will be obsolete??

RaceU4her

• Members

When bacon becomes the national currency, and also all amps will be made out of bacon because of its sweet, crispy, sizzling tone. Bacon will also be the president of our united states of baconmerica, and all amps will be 'bacon-state' which is a tube-solid state hybrid that is tasty.

mmmm I am hungry.

Not only is this the right answer, it is also tasty.

By the way, I have touched 3 sets of lovely boobies since this thread has been in existance.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
it won't happen

guitarists, recording engineers,
hi-fi cork sniffers
and the radar industry will keep it going.

also there are still the crusty ham radio guys that depend on tubes.

I think the market place will be impacted by coast issues, but we will still pay money for the goods

Somebody tell me what a "Cork-sniffer" is. :confused: I see this from time to time on HCAF and I have no clue what that means.

• Members
Somebody tell me what a "Cork-sniffer" is.
:confused:
I see this from time to time on HCAF and I have no clue what that means.

cork sniffer - applies to those who prefer the finer things in lfe, assume that cost means more than anything. could appy to those who have Johnny Walker blue label scotch, cartier watches, porche cayanne..etc. trainwreck amps

I have a hi fi radio nut friend. He spent 17,000.00 on a record player.

Yes 17,000.00 dollars US on a record player.

HE has hi-fi power amps for his stereo that can heat most peoples houses, tons of tubes genelex powered amps.....

• Members

When those modelling amps sound so good that they beat tubes hands down.

But....the modelers are, well, aren't they modeling tubes ?

And doesn't that mean there will always be a, how can anything have a better tube sound then a tube mentality ? Nothing beats the real thing?

• Members

cork sniffer - applies to those who prefer the finer things in lfe, assume that cost means more than anything. could appy to those who have Johnny Walker blue label scotch, cartier watches, porche cayanne..etc. trainwreck amps

I have a hi fi radio nut friend. He spent 17,000.00 on a record player.

Yes 17,000.00 dollars US on a record player.

HE has hi-fi power amps for his stereo that can heat most peoples houses, tons of tubes genelex powered amps.....

OK Thanks! I was clueless. I just don't have enough money to be a cork-sniffer I guess, cause I shure would like a Porsche Cayanne in my driveway. But you can keep the Scotch (Ewww) and the $17K record player.

• Members

cork sniffer is a term that originated with wine snobs smelling corks to judge the quality of wines... which is completely useless but people do it anyway, probably in an attempt to impress "those that arent sophisticated enough to tell the difference"

at least that's how my brain remembers it, it has been thoroughly scrambled through the last few years though.

• Members

cork sniffer is a term that originated with wine snobs smelling corks to judge the quality of wines... which is completely useless but people do it anyway, probably in an attempt to impress "those that arent sophisticated enough to tell the difference"

at least that's how my brain remembers it, it has been thoroughly scrambled through the last few years though.

That is funny, because the reason the wine steward hands a person the cork is to inspect it for leakage along the sides and to see that some of the cork has not chipped off into the wine. People in the know do not sniff the cork at all.

• Members
sure tube amps will probally always be around, but when do you predict digital will catch up and surpass toobs in the market place?

I believe soon . The rate at which the Russians are building their military they will soon take over the manufacturers - they will help Iran invade Israel and cause WWIII. :lol:

• Members

As I understand it, tubes use a natural phenomenon that harmonises and rounds off a sound (however you want to call it) in a way that might be too complex for simple purely transistor based schematics. But now simple electronics are being replaced by complex digital software-based algorithms.

Once digital technology can capture the non-linear complexity of tubes and emulate this to such an extend that humans can't hear the difference anymore, tubes will be replaced rather quickly

• Members

As I understand it, tubes use a natural phenomenon that harmonises and rounds off a sound (however you want to call it) in a way that might be too complex for simple purely transistor based schematics. But now simple electronics are being replaced by complex digital software-based algorithms.

Once digital technology can capture the non-linear complexity of tubes and emulate this to such an extend that humans can't hear the difference anymore, tubes will be replaced rather quickly

• Members

Regardless if you are analog or digital, the question was if they will be obsolete.

I think like records, typewriters and morse code there will be always someone wanting them [tubes] to keep some older technology running. With that there will always be a company out there that will provide that for that niche market.

Archived