OT: Anyone else hate movies with sexual abuse or rape scenes?

marshallnoise

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
as usual, you're just stamping approval on messages you approve of.

there's a whole world that exists outside your approval. i see that when confronted with it, you quickly remove yourself from the situation. how noble.
:rolleyes:

Yes, I am stamping my approval on this. I did not make it unilateral, I am stating my opinion.

However, for you to say that because I don't approve of rape, incest, beheadings, etc, that I run away because I won't stay and watch, that is simply stupid.

If you mean by "remove" myself from the situation, that I STOP A RAPE FROM CONTINUING, I suppose you are right. More appropriately, I would eliminate the situation from my surroundings, not the otherway around.

You are a true asshole. Enjoy your barbituates and alcohol! :thu:

• Members

Maybe I didn't clarify what I mean. The rape in and of itself is not funny. rape never is. You and I can agree on that. BUT, What is funny is the situation, which is unexpected, or absurd. Ever seen Monty Python? That same style of humor can createa funny situation involving rape in very certain circumstances.

Oh yeah, and saying someone underdeveloped social and/or mental skills because they think a concept can be, on rare occasions, humorous, is tantamount to saying that belief in Christianity indicates a lack of self reliance, a sheeplike acceptance of what you are taught, and even gullibility about something as improbable sounding as a Jewish Zombie.

but then again, I won't resort to such assumptions, and thinly veiled attacks.

You didn't thinly veil that.

Perhaps you didn't understand what I meant either. I was still speaking to the act of rape or a rapist when I said that they are underdeveloped mentally. Not someone who finds humor in a rapist being raped. To that, I just think you have different senses of humor.

• Members
ok...first, if rape were something that was enjoyable for a man sexually, would glorifying it be ok? your argument lacks substance (as most of your arguments do)

second, it's very well documented that rape is not a sex crime, but a crime that involves sex. this means that rape is about power, not sex. it is a VIOLENT act, not a sexual act. i haven't seen the movie you're railing against, but i suspect that your issue with has more to do with your "sensibilities" than anything else. insulating oneself from reality does not defer it, and it damn sure doesn't change it. if you think that by watching a simulation of rape you are more likely to do it, then you have mental problems and need to seek out help.

as has been mentioned by another poster, i have watched people have their heads cut off. the first few times i was physically ill with disgust. while my physical aversion to behavior like that is now less, i am still disgusted. does that mean that if i were to watch thousands or millions of beheadings i would somehow think it's ok? no. absolutely not. so, while i may become desensitized to the horror, it has no bearing on MY actions. anyone who thinks otherwise is accusing others of weakness of character.

i just realized that i'm rambling. beer+percocet=rambling...sorry.

You are on quite a PWNTing streak... :cop:

• Members

What I really cant stand is when they make rape scenes that cater to the asshole crowd like in the Halloween and Hills have Eyes remakes. The bad guys are having way too much fun and does nothing to serve the story. Whats sad is that these scenes seem to be put in there not to shock but to appease.

• Members
no, im angry just thinking about it!!
:mad:
They shouldnt even be aloud to potray women that way!! its sickening.!

Epic fail, violates free speech.
In effect, its portraying things that are in real life, whether you like it or not.Its your choice not to watch it, or like you did, stop the movie. Where people think this way about rape scenes, there are people that are against seeing people shot up with bullets, then there are the ones who don't like gratuitous sex and cursing. Then you get the ones that want to ban a movie because it shows their religion in a bad light. What are we left with? Every movie will be Mr. Roger's Neigborhood.

Read the back of the package, it usually explains what shocking material may be contained within. If it doesn't, shut it off when the offending material comes on. Better yet, don't watch rated R movies. Its your individual choice.

• Members
What I really cant stand is when they make rape scenes that cater to the asshole crowd like in the Halloween and Hills have Eyes remakes. The bad guys are having way too much fun and does nothing to serve the story. Whats sad is that these scenes seem to be put in there not to shock but to appease.

Or maybe it just creates a mood of hoplessness and desolation that may actually add to the "horror"? That's why they call 'em horror movies, bud.

• Members

Not as long as it's relevant to the plot. Other than that, I just find it gratuitous and stupid, but not offensive.

How bout the one in "Clockwork Orange"? It didn't really serve the plot, but it definitely contributed in showing the depravity of the gang.

Archived