OT: Anyone else hate movies with sexual abuse or rape scenes?

marshallnoise

• Members

In all seriousness, I saw the thread title and knew IMMEDIATELY what you saw. I watch a lot of movies, some pretty obscure {censored} too, but that rape scene in particular stuck out to me. Funny thing is I don't remember that well anymore, blocked it out I guess, but I can still remember feeling devastated in my gut.

Yeah, I am usually tolerant of a lot of stuff. In some ways I thought "Rendition" was hard to watch, but it was fairly well done. It had purpose and really had a decent moral to the story. It left enough to the imagination that I didn't need to be shown graphically what happened. Good film inspires the imagination for good or bad, IMO.

Devastated, good description.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

while i do enjoy pointless entertainment (don't we all), i prefer to watch films that evoke an emotional response...even if it's an emotion i'd prefer not to deal with. that's why i think some of the best films ever are things like pay it forward and eternal sunshine of the spotless mind...hell, even the notebook. i never actually WANT to feel the way those movies make me feel, but the fact that they can evoke that emotion makes them great films in my book. to deny yourself of emotion is to deny yourself the one thing that is most human.

edit: i take it that the film in question is the one with jennifer anniston, not jean claude van damme correct?

• Members
while i do enjoy pointless entertainment (don't we all), i prefer to watch films that evoke an emotional response...even if it's an emotion i'd prefer not to deal with. that's why i think some of the best films ever are things like pay it forward and eternal sunshine of the spotless mind...hell, even the notebook. i never actually WANT to feel the way those movies make me feel, but the fact that they can evoke that emotion makes them great films in my book. to deny yourself of emotion is to deny yourself the one thing that is most human.

:mad: OH ... now hes a... Philosiphizer:mad:

:cop:

• Members
No, they should not be aloud to make such filth brother!!

I just want to help you escape the fires of hell.

Repent, i can help you.

Jesus has a place for you in his heart.

I have seen teh light! Can I send you a nickel at a time? I'm kinda saving for a Mark IV.........or is that sinful?:o

• Members

No. It depends on the purpose the scene is supposed to have and the point the filmmakers are trying to get across with the scene.

I think instantly dismissing a movie that has a scene like that in it without considering what role it plays in the movie and what message it's sending is completely juvenile and immature, FWIW.

• Members

Well, Certainly, some people have tenuous grips on reality, of course.

Point being, the gratuitous violence is supposed to entertain through shock, ordisturbance. you play a game with yourself, lie and make-believe it's real.You know all along that it is. It's a movie, nothing more, nothing less. Hell, I've seen real videos of people's heads get cut off. I Puked. this was after I saw all the Saw movies, a couple of Fulci films too. IT doesn't make it any less horrifying when it's real. At least to me.

Ever see Re-animator? a disembodied head performs oral sex on a woman. That's absurd in and of itself, but the imagery as well just makes it overkill. you can't take it seriously. Could you take all the violence and rape out of that movie and make it enjoyable? Most certainly not.

I guess I don't view it as entertainment then. There is one thing to willingly suspend reality, but its an entirely different thing to watch violence for the sake of being shocked. There is something phony in being shocked by something like that. That is why I never got into horror flicks. It hit too close to home. I don't like the thought that people want to dream up that kind of stuff, let alone sell it to people. That in and of itself makes my skin crawl.

Not that everyone should only see good things their entire life, but if I want to watch evil things, I'll turn on the news. It is that easy. And I guess that is my point. Rape is real. It is not something to be mocked. No one I know was raped, but I can't imagine doing it to anyone and it is clearly not an enjoyable thing for a man from a sexual stand point. So why glorify it at all?

I believe you could make a heck of a thriller without rape, violence or gruesomness. You can create intense emotions without having to resort to carnival freak show stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I don't support banning of this kind of movie, I just don't see the appeal.

• Members

Knucklefux, it was Derailed with Jennifer Aniston. I agree that denying emotion all together is not healthy and I don't believe that one should deny emotions. But anger over watching someone being raped is an emotion that I felt, it was real. All I know is that if that happened to my wife, I would be facing a jury, real fast.

JesperX, then I guess I am immature for dismissing SAW and all that crap too, right? Are there any redeming qualities to that kind of film?

• Members

Not that everyone should only see good things their entire life, but if I want to watch evil things, I'll turn on the news. It is that easy. And I guess that is my point. Rape is real. It is not something to be mocked. No one I know was raped, but I can't imagine doing it to anyone and it is clearly not an enjoyable thing for a man from a sexual stand point. So why glorify it at all?

Well, it's not glorified in that scene. It's not funny in real life, but maybe funny in abstract way, but not the act itself. Picture Porky Pig raping Elmer Fudd. What about this one? (#10)

I don't get why you call rape "glorified" when it's put to tape. Do you hear happy music in the background while it's happening? Does the hero do it? Is it put into a light that makes it in any way, shape or form, good?

Maybe " Schindler's List" Glorifies the holocaust?

• Members

So why glorify it at all?

Just because it's in a movie doesn't mean it's being glorified...

I mean yea if it's in a horror movie for no other reason than shock value, then it's pointless. If it serves a purpose and gets a valid message across, then it's by no means being glorified.

• Members

No one I know was raped, but I can't imagine doing it to anyone and it is clearly not an enjoyable thing for a man from a sexual stand point. So why glorify it at all?

ok...first, if rape were something that was enjoyable for a man sexually, would glorifying it be ok? your argument lacks substance (as most of your arguments do)

second, it's very well documented that rape is not a sex crime, but a crime that involves sex. this means that rape is about power, not sex. it is a VIOLENT act, not a sexual act. i haven't seen the movie you're railing against, but i suspect that your issue with has more to do with your "sensibilities" than anything else. insulating oneself from reality does not defer it, and it damn sure doesn't change it. if you think that by watching a simulation of rape you are more likely to do it, then you have mental problems and need to seek out help.

as has been mentioned by another poster, i have watched people have their heads cut off. the first few times i was physically ill with disgust. while my physical aversion to behavior like that is now less, i am still disgusted. does that mean that if i were to watch thousands or millions of beheadings i would somehow think it's ok? no. absolutely not. so, while i may become desensitized to the horror, it has no bearing on MY actions. anyone who thinks otherwise is accusing others of weakness of character.

i just realized that i'm rambling. beer+percocet=rambling...sorry.

• Members

ok...first, if rape were something that was enjoyable for a man sexually, would glorifying it be ok? your argument lacks substance (as most of your arguments do)

second, it's very well documented that rape is not a sex crime, but a crime that involves sex. this means that rape is about power, not sex.
it is a VIOLENT act, not a sexual act.
i haven't seen the movie you're railing against, but i suspect that your issue with has more to do with your "sensibilities" than anything else. insulating oneself from reality does not defer it, and it damn sure doesn't change it. if you think that by watching a simulation of rape you are more likely to do it, then you have mental problems and need to seek out help.

+1

• Members

Well, it's not glorified in that scene. It's not funny in real life, but maybe funny in abstract way, but not the act itself. Picture Porky Pig raping Elmer Fudd. Picture a convicted rapist becoming someone's girlfriend in the big house. Not funny?

I don't get why you call rape "glorified" when it's put to tape. Do you hear happy music in the background while it's happening? Does the hero do it? Is it put into a light that makes it in any way, shape or form, good?

Maybe " Schindler's List" Glorifies the holocaust?

I don't think Porky Pig raping Elmer Fudd is humorous, ironic, maybe. I don't think it is funny when anyone gets raped. It isn't justice it is just sick. It is a clear indication of someone with severely underdeveloped social skills and possible underdeveloped mental skills.

It is glorified when it is guised as entertainment with no historical, educational, or other meaning. Schindler's List served a higher meaning than Derailed. That was the intent of the movie, that we would never forget what happened and tell a story of what we ought to do if for some reason we find ourselves in the same situation again.

Same thing about Saving Private Ryan or anyother movie like that.

• Members

No one I know was raped, but I can't imagine doing it to anyone and it is clearly not an enjoyable thing for a man from a sexual stand point. So why glorify it at all?

What makes you think that rape is not an enjoyable thing for a man. There are many services that offer rape as one of the "fantasies" on the list. People can get off on anything...why not rape?

• Members

second, it's very well documented that rape is not a sex crime, but a crime that involves sex. this means that rape is about power, not sex. it is a VIOLENT act, not a sexual act. i haven't seen the movie you're railing against, but i suspect that your issue with has more to do with your "sensibilities" than anything else. insulating oneself from reality does not defer it, and it damn sure doesn't change it. if you think that by watching a simulation of rape you are more likely to do it, then you have mental problems and need to seek out help.

as has been mentioned by another poster, i have watched people have their heads cut off. the first few times i was physically ill with disgust. while my physical aversion to behavior like that is now less, i am still disgusted. does that mean that if i were to watch thousands or millions of beheadings i would somehow think it's ok? no. absolutely not. so, while i may become desensitized to the horror, it has no bearing on MY actions. anyone who thinks otherwise is accusing others of weakness of character.

i just realized that i'm rambling. beer+percocet=rambling...sorry.

Thanks for totally NOT reading what I have been saying at all. And thanks again for another worthless pot shot against me.

I said that rape is about power, long before you pointed it out. I am well aware of that. And rape, even if it were sexually gratifying, is wrong and should not be glorified. Why would you try to paint me up as thinking that it would be ok in that instance when I never implied it in the first place?

Don't even begin to try and tell me that I am insulating myself. You don't know me, you know nothing about me or what my sensibilities are. I never once implied that I would become a rapist just because I watched a rape scene. Talk about lacking substance. A good film maker or story teller doesn't have to graphically show you what is happening. If you need that, then you lack imagination.

Why do you WANT to watch someone get their head cut off? Seeing it once is more than you need to really know what happens, right? So I think you might be the one who needs help if you go back to watching the same thing happen, over and over. Especially something as gruesome as that. I am not sure you could difinetively say that watching thousands of beheadings wouldn't affect your actions or emotions.

• Members

I don't think Porky Pig raping Elmer Fudd is humorous, ironic, maybe. I don't think it is funny when anyone gets raped. It isn't justice it is just sick. It is a clear indication of someone with severely underdeveloped social skills and possible underdeveloped mental skills.

It is glorified when it is guised as entertainment with no historical, educational, or other meaning. Schindler's List served a higher meaning than Derailed. That was the intent of the movie, that we would never forget what happened and tell a story of what we ought to do if for some reason we find ourselves in the same situation again.

Same thing about Saving Private Ryan or anyother movie like that.

Maybe I didn't clarify what I mean. The rape in and of itself is not funny. rape never is. You and I can agree on that. BUT, What is funny is the situation, which is unexpected, or absurd. Ever seen Monty Python? That same style of humor can createa funny situation involving rape in very certain circumstances.

Oh yeah, and saying someone underdeveloped social and/or mental skills because they think a concept can be, on rare occasions, humorous, is tantamount to saying that belief in Christianity indicates a lack of self reliance, a sheeplike acceptance of what you are taught, and even gullibility about something as improbable sounding as a Jewish Zombie.

but then again, I won't resort to such assumptions, and thinly veiled attacks.

Archived