OT: Anyone else hate movies with sexual abuse or rape scenes?

marshallnoise

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
talk about simply stupid. you don't know the difference between barbiturates and narcotics.
:rolleyes:

maybe you should stick to what you know...which seems to be painfully little.
:o

Yeah, I had thought about it right after I posted. I could have edited it, but didn't really care since it was for you. But, either way, make fun of me for being stupid when you are the one drinking and taking narcotics. You sure are a winner!

:thu:

• Members

Rape scenes make people, especially men, uncomfortable for a variety of reasons. I'm pretty sure if you look on the back of a dvd it will say if there is a rape scene.

WOULD YOU PLEASE CONSIDER CHANGING YOUR AVATAR

UGH! :poke:

• Members

I agree that denying emotion all together is not healthy and I don't believe that one should deny emotions. But anger over watching someone being raped is an emotion that I felt, it was real. All I know is that if that happened to my wife, I would be facing a jury, real fast.

These are the uncomfortable feelings I believe you are struggling with. You chose to imagine what you would feel like if your wife was raped, that was your choice, but then you chose to pre-decide to commit murder or an act of violence in response to your wife's rape. I too have done the very same thing. That is certainly understandable, but wrong on many, many levels.

Here is what I was dealing with when I dealt with this same issue, I was insecure about how I would handle my anger and rage, and this made me feel uncomfortable, and because of this unresolved issue that IS IN ME, I blamed the movie.

Let's think this thru, your wife gets raped, you go kill the guy (very unlikely that you could find him before the police), who is going to be there to help your wife recover. She now has to deal with the feelings of shame, guilt, anger and frustration that is common to rape victims, PLUS the grief over having lost her husband. When you resolve this you will be able to see a rape scene for what it is, a dramatic and if done well, graphic display of a horrible but very real crime. No wonder this possible (but highly unlikely) reality threatens us all.

Here is what we all should do, deal with our rage and anger (many husbands have had to do this), and then grow up and put our wife first in our thinking and comfort her. If we don't we are being self-centered in our fears, and are more concerned about our damaged egos than our wife's feelings or needs.

Now if you walked into the room during the act, well........

• Members

Now if you walked into the room during the act, well........

That is what I was referring to so I deleted the rest of your response, not that it wasn't relevant, it just doesn't apply. If you had seen the movie, you would have known that. I don't fault you for not knowing that. I am a very well adjusted individual, believe it or not. I see things long term and I understand the ramifications of my actions. But in walking in on something like that...there will be hell to pay.

• Members
That is what I was referring to so I deleted the rest of your response, not that it wasn't relevant, it just doesn't apply. If you had seen the movie, you would have known that. I don't fault you for not knowing that. I am a very well adjusted individual, believe it or not. I see things long term and I understand the ramifications of my actions. But in walking in on something like that...there will be hell to pay.

OK, cool :thu:

• Members
How bout the one in "Clockwork Orange"? It didn't really serve the plot, but it definitely contributed in showing the depravity of the gang.

If it contributed to showing the depravity of the gang, then how is it not serving the plot? :confused:

Steve

• Members
If it contributed to showing the depravity of the gang, then how is it not serving the plot?
:confused:

Steve

They did a whole lot more stuff besides that, they could have easily implied the rape scene and it would still show depravity. Maybe even more, because it is left up to the viewers own twisted mind. I have to agree that, yes the depravity served the plot, but it was well expressed before the rape scene.

• Members

One of my favorite movies Blue Velvet displays a scene where Dennis Hopper who's the antagonist rapes Isabella Rossellini and he also abuses her badly near the ending of the film. This is sorta apart of the plot, because it displays Dennis Hopper's character's sadist and evil ways. My dad couldn't handle the movie, mainly due to Dennis Hopper's excessive cursing, but that's what made his character believable. For those that haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. It's a great film that makes you want to watch it more and more.

• Members

Was it Jennifer Anniston's character that got raped in that scene?

Yea it was, SPOILER WARNING

I think its important to note that in Derailed not only is the rape central to the plot but it turns out that Jennifer Anniston's character is in fact in collusion with her supposed rapist. Still a mediocre movie though.

• Members

They did a whole lot more stuff besides that, they could have easily implied the rape scene and it would still show depravity. Maybe even more, because it is left up to the viewers own twisted mind. I have to agree that, yes the depravity served the plot, but it was well expressed before the rape scene.

This is in your opinion. In the opinion of the director, it had to be shown and not implied for you to get the idea of the true horror these indiviudals inflicted. Also, if it had not been shown, it may have been hard to relate to the guy in the wheelchair taking such obvious joy in tormenting Alex later in the flick... also, if you think about it, the rape is not very graphic, much IS left to the imagination...

BAsed on your comment, you agree that it did serve the plot, just that if you were directing the flick, you'd have handled it differently. Cool...

Steve

• Members

I had an ex-girlfriend who had been raped......

That was the 1st time I had ever lived with the real horror of the crime.....

She cried if there was a rape scene in a film or on telly such was it's effect. I think cinema fails to protray the deep seated & enduring emotions this crime leaves in its's victims

Just my viewpoint

• Members

I don't like them. But I have a hard time with movie violence for some reason, yet video game violence doesn't bother me. I think I don't suspend my disbelief as much for movies.

As for Derailed, I forgot about that scene entirely. It wasn't until I looked it up on IMDB that I remembered I even saw the movie.

• Members

well, i watched the movie in question last night because i wanted to see what a graphic rape scene looked like.

number 1, that wasn't graphic. number 2, if you'd have watched the rest of the {censored}ing movie you would have discovered that it wasn't even a rape.:o

and i actually liked it. nice plot twist. i never saw it coming, either. and jennifer anniston was hot as hell in it, too.

• Members

Yeah, that movie was really hard to watch. I think the rape scene was 12 minutes. One single uncut camera shot.

The murder was more disturbing though. I'll never look at a fire extinguisher the same way again.

I was thinking about this movie when I saw this post. Great movie but definitely disturbing.

• Members

01/21/08
Hollywood star Burt Reynolds has confessed the infamous scene in Deliverance in which co-star Ned Beatty is raped by a hillbilly was excessively graphic.

The veteran actor has revealed how the brutal scene could have delved further into explicit detail had he not stopped the filming, according to New York gossip column PageSix.

He says, "All that 'squeal, piggy, piggy' was not in the script. Two camera operators looked away during the scene because it was getting so hairy. Finally, it went too far and I ran into the shot. I asked John Boorman, the director, 'Why did you let it go that long?' He said, 'I wanted to take it as far as I could with the audience, and I figured you'd run in when it got too far.'"

Archived