just wondering...how do you pronounce these amp brands...

Johansolo

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was spelled Koch. They had a roofing business with the name in HUGE letters all over their trucks.

I guess the best way to find out is call the company and see how the receptionist pronunces the name. "Hello, Koch amps, how can I help you?"

Wasn't it Kock ? That would explain the difference

Giga.

• Members

I cringe when people say "May-ssa". It's painful.
faintthud.gif

Like the name Megan. It's supposed to be said "Mee-gan". I've heard people pronounce it as "May-gun", even "Megg-Ann". Sometimes, I just do, not, get it..
confused24.gif

Not in the US. It's always Megg-un or May-gun, never Meeg-gan, and almost never a male's name.

That being said, it's May-sah, just like the Spanish word for "table" and the name of the city in Arizona that Mesa Engineering started in.

• Members

Man-doo-rah

That's how most Western Australians say it too. Although some, like the Train Announcer Chick (VERY articulated posh well-spoken voice), emphasises the "D" so it sounds a little heavier.

When I first saw & said the word, I pronounced it "Man-JEWW-rah". I got poked and prodded for saying it like that.

• Members

Koch-> "Kosh".

Like David "Koshee" Koch on
Sunrise

No.

Koch is like Loch Ness. But you americans can't say that right?

It's the classic dutch ch sound.

Oh, and if you wanna try something cool, try 'scheve schoenen schuiven scheveningen scheef'.:thu:

• Members
No.

Koch is like Loch Ness. But you americans can't say that right?

Oh, and if you wanna try something cool, try 'scheve schoenen schuiven scheveningen scheef'.
:thu:

So how exactly do you pronounce Loch? We pronounce it as Lock, thus Koch would sound like cock :eek:

• Members
Ik hou van Nessie!!
:D

Fixed :cop:

Any of you guys evar seen the movie "Meet the Fockers"?

There is a part there where there is some Hebrew talking.. They also have a very strong CHCHCHCHCHCHCH like in Koch :)

Schevingen is something only a true dutchman can pronounce correctly :deadhorse:

:snax:

• Members

Not in the US. It's always Megg-un or May-gun, never Meeg-gan, and almost never a male's name.

That being said, it's May-sah, just like the Spanish word for "table" and the name of the city in Arizona that Mesa Engineering started in.

You sure about Mesa's place of origin? I always thought Randall was originally an amp tech in San Francisco and then moved to Petaluma.

I could be wrong though.

• Members

You sure about Mesa's place of origin? I always thought Randall was originally an amp tech in San Francisco and then moved to Petaluma.

I could be wrong though.

I thought I've also read that Randall picked the name because he liked the way it sounded and thought it sounded official. I don't ever remember reading that it was because they started in Mesa Arizona.

EDIT: Found it:

"Anyway, I needed an official sounding name to buy pistons and such from Mercedes as well as for ordering ready-mix trucks full of concrete and Mesa Engineering seemed to have a familiar, professional ring. It would have been much harder to get trade prices calling myself Boogie Engineering!"

• Members

No.

Koch is like Loch Ness. But
you americans
can't say that right?

You quoted me. But, I am not American.

I say "Loch" as "Lockhh", with a heavy throaty grating "H" sound, like the phrase "La Cheim".

I say the name "Koch" as "Kosh", because that is how I hear it pronounced by a man with that surname, and people around him.

Eg. Eric Bana @ 3:20, says Kochie as "Koshee"

[YOUTUBE]hQK34kAzp7w[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

nah man. that's the NYC/Boston accent.

The only NY thing in there is "Fenda." I work in a seafood dept and all I {censored}ing hear is ("Hey, how ya doing. Let me get a pound a dat flounda right der" Its ridiculous.

Archived