Holy grail of AMP ...did you find it???

R00PE

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My Peters is definitely the holy grail for my metal needs.

For jazz, which is my primary gig, the Mark IV is great but I'll stop short of calling it the holy grail. There are still some tones I hear in my head that I haven't been able to get yet. For straight ahead clean jazz the Mark IV widebody is perfect but for fusiony leads there's still a certain something missing that I can't put my finger on.

• Members

I'd really really like to say it was the Mark IV, but it just hasn't gotten there for me yet. It's a great amp, and I can get great tones out of it, but I haven't quite gotten it to sound like what I have in my head. So, I'm going to keep on tweaking, but unless I can get there I'll be getting a new amp soon... the question is what, and can I afford it?

• Members

I'd really really like to say it was the Mark IV, but it just hasn't gotten there for me yet. It's a great amp, and I can get great tones out of it, but I haven't quite gotten it to sound like what I have in my head. So, I'm going to keep on tweaking, but unless I can get there I'll be getting a new amp soon... the question is what, and can I afford it?

Hmmm...similar to my post about the Mark. What are you hearing in your head if I may ask?

• Members

I've got two great amps, a Diezel Einstein 50W and an Egnater Tourmaster 4100 but neither is the "holy grail". They work well for what I do so I have no need to look for that elusive amp anymore.

• Members

im wondering..anyone here found the amp that you thought youll never sell or dont need anything more than that?? or you find it but its way too expensive??? well at least i think ive ive found the cab .. and the head was too pricey for me but i dont think ill ever sell my Engl pro cab

I have found that there are a few holy grail core amp tones that are the set standard that all others are measured against.

Fender

Marshall

Vox

Boogie

and a few others:

Dumble

Roland JC120

Hiwatt

ALL others (MOSTLY)are based around those core sounds

• Members

ADA MP-1.This may be a preamp, its great on its own, but can be easily modded to get almost any tone. Seriously.

A friend of mine in the 80's had a JCM800 that was the balls.Not all of them were. {censored}er modded it, and it sounded like {censored}. Then he sold it.

Using the Holy Grail analogy isn't really a good thing. After all, isnt it an endless quest?

• Members

Well, i've found what works for me. Holy Grail amp... no such thing.

I plan to keep a Randall RG100ES head around until it dies or i die. Just has a certain sound i really dig, and i always go back to it regardless of whatever other amps i have kicking around.

• Members

im wondering..anyone here found the amp that you thought youll never sell or dont need anything more than that?? or you find it but its way too expensive??? well at least i think ive ive found the cab .. and the head was too pricey for me but i dont think ill ever sell my Engl pro cab

My ENGL SE...

I bought 2 of them...

I sold one to buy other things, but I will never sell my other one EVAR...

In fact I just bought a brand new SE preamp, VHT 2/90/2, and a brand new VHT deliverence cab... got the cab and power amp in.... ENGL SE 570 preamp is shipping TODAY...

xgx

xgx

• Members

Sounds like we're in the same boat. It's a great amp but it doesn't do EXACTLY what I want. Do you need all those options or are you shooting for something simpler that sounds better?

• Members

I don't know how many times I've gotten an amp and said "yep, this is the one.. never gonna sell this". Invariably it gets sold in the ongoing search for tonal bliss. I have high hopes on the Peters Gryphon though..

• Members

I've come to realize that no one amp or guitar is perfect. Everything i've had has had some great tones and some problems as well. So now I just enjoy what i've got and look forward to continued gear whoring in the future. :thu:

• Members
Yup. Have a couple for absolute stellar tone. One Fender (1963 Vibroverb) and one Marshall (1965 JTM-45). I also have one for sheer good looks - the epitome of Fender coolness - a 1961 Twin-Amp. I dont necessarily like the tone of it. Nope, I ain't sellin' it LOL!

- WOT

:love:

Man, I didn't hear enough of the Vibroverb at the last ampfest. Spent too much time in the high gain room lol.

• Members

My cheap little Boogie combo (a DC5) has turned out to be perfect for me - fairly light, ludicrously loud, flexible and sounds decent. I don't think I'll ever need another amp.

But despite that...I'm still going to sell the {censored}er and get a Plexi, or a Budda Superdrive.

• Members

I have found that there are a few holy grail core amp tones that are the set standard that all others are measured against.

Fender

Marshall

Vox

Boogie

and a few others:

Dumble

Roland JC120

Hiwatt

ALL others (MOSTLY)are based around those core sounds

Yep. For me, I find I like the old Marshall JMP/Plexi sound, Tweed Fender sound, and the AC30.

And while my Superbass is pretty much the perfect amp for me, I still really enjoy the tones from amps like the Komet Concorde and Mad Professor.

Archived