Holy grail of AMP ...did you find it???

R00PE

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When I went out looking for a head and cab to replace my twin, I never thought I would end up with a higher wattage head that was designed for heavier types of music. The Tre has a clean side which is even nicer than the twin if you can believe that. Plus it has an el34 marshall side that really shines.This one will be with me for a long time.

• Members

It is a never ending quest. You get an amp, fall in love, play for a while, fall out of love, sell amp, buy new amp, repeat chain.

Back in my metal days, I LOVED my ADA rig. That thing was a beast. could do any tone and was killer and loud as fuk. I had 4 EV speakers so I could crank the amp as loud as I wanted and the EV's wouldn't even blink.

Now that I am older, the Promod and Greebacks are killer. I love my rig now. Having said that, is it possible that in a year or 2 I want a different amp? Maybe.

• Members

i would have to say the closest thing to my holy grail is the engl se and uberkab, so far i havent found a amp or cab that i like better for metal. i have seached to find something better and i came close a few times but i still love the engl, the only part i dont like is the price, some days it seems too expensive to me.

• Members

I don't ever expect to sell my ADA MP-1 3TM setup. It's freaking ridiculous how good it sounds dialed in. I'm sure I'll continue to play around with other amps, preamps, modelers, etc, for other uses but that thing is a "play it until it dies" setup.

• Members

What about your MAK2 :poke::poke:

For the time being it's not going anywhere. But it kinda defeats the purpose of having an extremely versatile head when you have to dime the mids, treble, presence and the freak knob for it to cut through in a live band context. I hope my V30 loaded Matamp cab will change that.

• Members

For me right now, the Mark IV is the best amp I can find. Is it perfect? No. I actually agree with Thinkpad20...sometimes I wish it had a little more recto grind and chunk. Sometimes it can be too smooth. That's a small complaint when you look at what the amp can do though. There are very few amps that I would say you can do every kind of music you can imagine with and do it well. The Mark IV is one of those amps.

• Members
For the time being it's not going anywhere. But it kinda defeats the purpose of having an extremely versatile head when you
have to dime the mids, treble, presence and the freak knob for it to cut through in a live band context.
I hope my V30 loaded Matamp cab will change that.

:freak:

It's too bad you are out of the US 'cause otherwise I'd seriously look into having Andrew taking a look at your amp to see if there is anything wrong.

• 9 months later...
  • Members

My Uncle Al left me his old POLYTONE MINI BRUTE, 100 watts, 12 inch speaker, indestructible!!from about 1969 or 1970, but i'll never know. I wish Polytone had a serial number guide that could date our vintage amps.
The SWR Baby Blue is still messed up...smoke came out of the speaker, but I have a Peavey TNT Bass amp that totally Kranks!

Archived