Holy grail of AMP ...did you find it???

R00PE

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well I strongly believe that no one amp fits all situations. I don't think anyone would argue that.

So, I have a small collection of amps that I can haul out for the particular gig.

The most versatile amp I have though, that I KNOW will pull me through any gig is my 56 Bassman combined with a pedal or two.

• Members
Hmmm...similar to my post about the Mark. What are you hearing in your head if I may ask?

Well, it's hard to describe in words. Basically I want a hybrid of the Mark and the Recto. I want every quality the Mark IV has (clarity, tightness, smoothness, cut through the mix), but with more of the depth, chunk and bite that the Recto has. I don't like the fizzyness of the Recto, but it just sounds so massive... I feel like that's a sound I can't quite acheive, or at least haven't yet. I also want less hiss and noise - I think that the Mark's pre-amp EQ makes it so that noise is kind of unavoidable, because you have to really boost the highs to get an aggressive sound out of it, which means any pickup noise really gets amplified. Although I might be able to tame that to some degree with new speakers. Ultimately though, I'm still searching for "my sound" because I honestly don't quite know what it is.

:blah::blah::blah:

• Members
Sounds like we're in the same boat. It's a great amp but it doesn't do EXACTLY what I want. Do you need all those options or are you shooting for something simpler that sounds better?

Simpler, maybe. I don't know if it needs to be simpler, but I do feel like with the Mark there are so many options that you never know if it's just that one flick of the switch or turn of the knob which will get you exactly what you want, or take it away. But I don't think the answer is necessarily something simpler. For example, I'm wondering if maybe a roadster would be better for me, and that thing isn't exactly a simple amp. OTOH, I'm also wondering if maybe what I need is a Single Rectifier, which would be (compared to others) pretty simple. And I would LOVE to have an Engl SE or a Diezel Herbert, or at least try them, and neither of those amps are particularly simple... :freak:

• Members

FWIW, I agree that no amp can do all of the core tones zachman listed perfectly, I really do feel I can come *real* close to pretty much any tone I would want with the xtc-c, especially if using a boost or open back cab for certain tones.

• Members

FWIW, I agree that no amp can do all of the core tones zachman listed perfectly, I really do feel I can come *real* close to pretty much any tone I would want with the xtc-c, especially if using a boost or open back cab for certain tones.

God, I loved the tones MHenson was dialing in on his XTC at the last ampfest. If I had the money, and brain power to figure that amp out, I would buy one in a heartbeat.

• Members

God, I loved the tones MHenson was dialing in on his XTC at the last ampfest. If I had the money, and brain power to figure that amp out, I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Yeah, its a little confusing at first and really does take awhile before you know how the amp reacts well enough to zero in on certain tones but that's true of a lot of other amps, too IMO.

But once you do... jazz, blues, rock, fusion, country, pop, hard rock, metal its all in there IMO. It really reacts well to different guitars too. Which was one of my complaints about the 101b (which I had first but sent in to be modded to the classic). It handled humbuckers a lot better than it did single coils, IMO. The classic does both equally well to me, which was good because I really like strat/tele sounds too.

• Members

Honestly - I've played Ashdowns, Mark IV's, Recto's, Marshall's, Peavey's, EVH 5153, DC-5/10's, Many different preamps, and everytime I always come back to this F100. Sure I Want lots of amps - but I think that's because I am a gear whore.

If I never played out of another amp, my F100+Marshall 1960AV would be more than enough for me :)

• Members

I absolutely love both amps I'm running. One is the Carvin X60B. The little brother to the X100B. It sounds killer. Best cleans I've ever heard in an amp and a killer crunch. The reberb sounds great and the active EQ's let you dial in just about any tone you need. Drop a boost in front and the sound is heavenly.

The other is a Yamaha T100C. Basically a poor mans SLO. Sounds very good as well. A very good clean that dirties up nice with alot of volume. The gain channel sounds very good as well. As good as the Carvin, but different.

• Members

I am hoping the MK V has MK III tones and MK IV functionality. I would never come out of my practice room.

I'm hoping it's the same thing it already is with a better Rhy 2 channel and maybe an added Recto-ish slaughter type channel.

• Members
I'm hoping it's the same thing it already is with a better Rhy 2 channel and maybe an added Recto-ish slaughter type channel.

Hey Glenecho, does the Chimera compliment the Mark IV as far as range of tones?

I was thinking for my next amp to get something more modern sounding to compliment my Mark IV, but still track well and be articulate :)

• Members
Hey Glenecho, does the Chimera compliment the Mark IV as far as range of tones?

I was thinking for my next amp to get something more modern sounding to compliment my Mark IV, but still track well and be articulate
:)

The Chimera was my answer to needing something more modernly voiced. I actually struggled between whether to get the Gryphon and the Chimera...but felt the Chimera had that extra over the top modern voicing that I wanted. While the Gryphon sounds different than a Mark IV I felt a little bit like there might be some overlap in functionality and I didn't want that.

And yes...it compliments the Mark IV wonderfully. It takes up where the Lead channel stops. Don't take this as meaning it's not tight and articulate...because it is...it's just voiced in a more modern fashion. Honestly the main thing I like about it is that it has it's own unique sound.

You also have to understand that I use my Mark IV for jazz...not metal. The Lead channel just didn't have that certain something that I heard in the Chimera. I was also attracted to the clean channel in the Chimera which I feel is better for rock than the Mark IV (which I think has the greatest clean channel EVER...but for jazz).

Archived