Guys who chase tone vs Guys that practice....

Digital Jams

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i never understand the amp flipping :freak:

but i still sux at guitario

but

THAT TOP GUY!!! HAHAHAHAAH shiiiiit. I never saw that clip before!! Suddenly I feel AMAZING about my lack of chops. Is that the average sabbath fan? :cop:

• Members

Paul Gilbert is ridiculous?? How so?? The guy's a monster chop fiend and he can write as well. I don't see the awful side of him.
:idk:

+1 I don't really listen to him that much, but there are far worse offenders. Case in point:

pm_RoYN8IZs

Great playing, but it's teh :bor::bor:

• Members

I think there can be a symbiosis, tho. Good tone - or at least a tone that I like - is more likely to get me to practice or play than if I have some tone that leaves me uninspired.

I think a lot of dudes are just expecting to get something coming out of their amps that sounds "just like the record", or "just like dude X". They aren't looking for THEIR tone, but some idealized sound that quite frankly doesn't exist.

I'll tell ya, if before I started playing VHTs you had asked me what I wanted my tone to sound like, it would have been 180 from what it is now. But I've been happier with them for longer than almost any other setup I've had, closer to having a personal signature sound.

So I think there are people who search until they have that revelation, and people who search just looking for something that doesn't exist. And some people just like new stuff.

But I think that there is also a difference between " this amp sounds good" and " this amp makes me play better and more often". I try to go for the latter.

• Members

I think there can be a symbiosis, tho. Good tone - or at least a tone that I like - is more likely to get me to practice or play than if I have some tone that leaves me uninspired.

I think a lot of dudes are just expecting to get something coming out of their amps that sounds "just like the record", or "just like dude X". They aren't looking for THEIR tone, but some idealized sound that quite frankly doesn't exist.

I'll tell ya, if before I started playing VHTs you had asked me what I wanted my tone to sound like, it would have been 180 from what it is now. But I've been happier with them for longer than almost any other setup I've had, closer to having a personal signature sound.

So I think there are people who search until they have that revelation, and people who search just looking for something that doesn't exist. And some people just like new stuff.

But I think that there is also a difference between " this amp sounds good" and " this amp makes me play better and more often". I try to go for the latter.

I was dragged kicking and screaming into my realization that no matter what gear I have, I sound like me, and not like . As much as I'd love the tone from the Hold Steady's records to come forth from my fingertips everytime I plug in, it's not going to be.

• Members

Paul Gilbert is ridiculous?? How so?? The guy's a monster chop fiend and he can write as well. I don't see the awful side of him.
:idk:

Jealousy and lack of knowledge FTMFL.

Gilbert is a beast. Yeah, Mr. Big sucked and was just all shred all the time. :rolleyes:

• Members

I agree with this.

My "tone" has changed the last couple of years as I got rid of my super soaked compressed tones and really started to practice. Things changed and amps that I did not like all of a sudden I enjoyed because I could play them, like Plexi type amps.

I am back to the soaked tones but with better chops and now my stuff sounds better imo. Some amps will "mask" ones bad habits but a guitarist will always hear it. The age old " gain covers slop" arguement :cop: It does not to the guitar players in the crowd.

• Members

I was dragged kicking and screaming into my realization that no matter what gear I have, I sound like me, and not like
. As much as I'd love the tone from the Hold Steady's records to come forth from my fingertips everytime I plug in, it's not going to be.

I toyed with the idea of throwing every massive amp I have at my new record, I really did. And then realized that I didn't want to sound like every other band on the planet. And people remark that it sounds pretty unique. In some ways, I think that serves me better than some generic overwrought massive tone.

• Members

Video#1: Guy who just started playing the guitar at middle age, but has tons of money to spend on great gear due to his job as a systems analyst.

Video #2 Guy who started playing guitar at age 8, earned tons of money for the best equipment by practicing and eating and {censored}ting guitar on a daily basis until middle age, where he is adored as a god and can make any amp sound good through his mastery of technique.

Paul Gilbert & No name amp over mjiddle age crisis guy and his bogner...any day of the week! :lol:

• Members

I agree with this.

My "tone" has changed the last couple of years as I got rid of my super soaked compressed tones and really started to practice. Things changed and amps that I did not like all of a sudden I enjoyed because I could play them, like Plexi type amps.

I am back to the soaked tones but with better chops and now my stuff sounds better imo. Some amps will "mask" ones bad habits but a guitarist will always hear it. The age old " gain covers slop" arguement
:cop:
It does not to the guitar players in the crowd.

Clips please?!!! :poke:

Steve

Archived