Guys who chase tone vs Guys that practice....

Digital Jams

• Members

Summary:

Having good tone inspires you and it is a great feeling to feel like your tone is happening. This makes finding it a worthwhile pursuit

People tend to have some innate tone/style which will evolve over time.

Expending so much effort tone chasing that your chops suffer is counter-productive; to the point where it can be pretty damn embarrassing on Yootoob.

There's also a point where woodshedding, as useful as it is, actually hits a point of diminishing returns, too, if it keeps you from focusing on music over the long term.

Like damn near anything in life striking a reasonable balance will yield results.

Paul Gilbert and Eric Johnson rule

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i chased tone and flipped amps for years because it was an exciting hobby, i made alot of money, i got to play over 100 different amps, i learned a TON about tube amps, how they work, how to alot of basic repairs and maintainance, etc.

i also used it as a fun way to dick with other styles of playing.
when you have a tone that is outside of your comfort zone, or style it inspires you to want to learn something from that style.

i'm no paul gilbert, but i think that flipping actually helped my playing alot.

• Members

Can the guy in the second vid not afford a capo?

"the guy"

Don;t know who it is, eh?

They were just {censored}ing around. You can see him smile at the ennd.

But I suppose you can afford your pleasure at your own cleverness.

And yeah....I'm just joking around as much as you are. Cause you're gonna say how uptight I am. Even when I ain't.

• Members

Lols.

I believe i went though my share of amps, but no where near the amount of some of the guys here. I may have owned probably 10 amps, hell maybe even less. It took me a little while to find what I was happy with. I kept pretty much every amp I have owned for quite a while before deciding to get rid of it. My experience with various amps is very small compared to most others. My experience with gear is pretty damn limited. I currently own a 74 Marshall Super Bass and a Mesa Tremoverb and couldn't be happier.

I own some nice stuff and I am a {censored}ty guitar player. But being happy with my gear and tone certainly helped motivate me to play a lot more.

My Super Bass isn't going anywhere. But I don't know about the Tremoverb. I love it and all, but I wouldn't mind trying something else. lol. I don't care if it sells or gets traded or not, because I'm not going to put any effort in getting rid of it. :lol: I'm not particularly gassing for anything right now.

• Members

I think there can be a symbiosis, tho. Good tone - or at least a tone that I like - is more likely to get me to practice or play than if I have some tone that leaves me uninspired.

After this paragraph it should read /thread.

• Members

Paul Gilbert wrote a #1 hit song that still shows up on compiliation albums everywhere. Chances every chick you've ever {censored}ed loved it and still does. And the solo doesn't have an ounce of shred in it.

Maybe YOU don't like that song...but millions did. I'd say he can write a song. In fact, Paul loves to craft pop songs (his favorite musician is Todd Rundgren...who can DEFINITELY write a song)...unfortunately nowadays people just don't listen anymore.

sheesh! like i said-- i couldn't tell y' a paul gilbert song unless you dropped the sheet music in front of me with his name printed on it. hell.. who knows if i'd like it or not-- can't say i've ever heard paul gilbert. yup- i live in a cave.. no {censored}, i haven't a clue who paul gilbert is. now i know.. he was in mr. big. still, never heard 'em.

it's not 'bout paul gilbert or chicks i had anything to do with OR listening skills!

hell theres room for technically good folks.. that little noodly noodly you tube clip coulda been more tasteful (to my sensibility), and surely more of a SONG-- but whatever.. jeez-- y'all take yer paul gilbert too seriously one way or another- especially as that little ditty was kinda JUST a shred thing-- NOT a song. unbeknownst to me i've offended a pop star. well.. my apologies-- surely no offense meant.. but if i truly meant to offend paul gilbert and his songwriting prowess-- you'd reckon i'd know who the dude was, yes?

• Members

it's just hard to imagine a guitar player not knowing who PG is. I don't play anything near the kind of music he writes, but I own a couple of his instructional vids.

why? never bought tab, never done any instructional vids, don't listen to radio-- it's tough for me to believe people don't know who marc ribot and nels cline and caspar brotzmann and mike banfield are either.. but there's a good many who don't-- and those names've inspired me infinitely more than paul gilbert. different worlds, i s'pose.

• Members
why? never bought tab, never done any instructional vids, don't listen to radio-- it's tough for me to believe people don't know who marc ribot and nels cline and caspar brotzmann and mike banfield are either.. but there's a good many who don't-- and those names've inspired me infinitely more than paul gilbert. different worlds, i s'pose.

haha, ok, point taken. I don't recognize any of those names except brotzmann. I found it odd because PG is pretty well known. Besides his 80's heyday, he was on the G3 tour in 07 with Satriani and Petrucci, and does all kinds of clinics. Makes more sense though if you aren't into that type of music at all I guess. He has better stuff than that little vid snippet though. :thu:

• Members

I usually save up a certain level of money, not so often, to spend on guitar gear, in which I obsess over what I want to spend the money for a couple of weeks and then finally decide, and the rest is just playing until i have some money layin' around again...not so often. Best of both worlds. If your tone is bad, something can be lost in playing, if your playing is bad...why the {censored} did you just buy a Bogner?

• Members

marc ribot and nels cline and caspar brotzmann and mike banfield

This is the best list of guitarists I've ever seen on this board. Caspar Brotzmann is a {censored}ing monster. LOVE his {censored}. But then I got attacked for defending Henry Kaiser the other day. So I feel ya.

• Members

You know, I missed that song the first time it went around as a single, and just recently heard it for the first time on Sirius "Hair Nation". Good stuff.

I was most surprised, though, that in the live clip the backing vocals are *very* similar to the album vocals. They're either really good mimics or they actually sang the backing vocals on the album, I am guessing.

Archived