gun nuts: help out a handgun noob

blargh

• Members

This is one of the most interesting threads I've read here, thats not about maps

I have my fair share of guns & guitars, but not like some of you guys.

Is reloading handgun really cheaper? I have reloaded some rifle rounds, but how bout pistols? I have a 45 & 9. I can see 45 maybe, for practice. how bout the 9?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
you are once again correct.

cheaperthedirt.com

i got some .223 piled away in ammo cans, Lake City M193, mmm mmm good!

and plenty of 9mm.

Ammoman, cheaper than dirt, aim, thats the way right there...

I buy a ton of pistol ammo at wallyword myself as well.
That and shotgun ammo for clays.
Winchestor White box is awesome 9mm training stuff.
Not to dirty and somewhat accurate...

But they keep raising the prices every few months. It used to be 10 bucks for 100 now its almost twenty here!
WTF damn Chinese!:facepalm::lol:

• Members
Yep....Thats EXACTLY what my friends are saying. ("Get one while you still can Ronnie!") I can pick one up for under $900 out the door and after shooting it Im kind of obsessed.

And yeah, you gotta love Phoenix.
:love:

Hey man, you ever want to go out shooting, drop me a pm, I shoot once a week usually with alot of friends in local bands here, people I know you probably already know.
I was out yesterday and this morning actually, we would always love to have another guitar gun guy along.
The conversation never gets old with those two topics amoung all of us.

( ex military, cops, trained civilians and respectfull responsible shooters as well; we take our desert shooting sessions seriously and safety is key.)

• Members

i figure it's better to be safe than be sorry when I'm getting my teeth kicked in by some thug in my house/car/parking garage. whats a good weapon for self-defense? i know next to nothing about what i'd need
:o
i'm going for something purely utilitarian... light and small enough to carry, reliable enough to not jam or explode in my face or something, reasonably priced, adequate power. don't really care how shiny and pretty it is.

I'm the owner/admin of a handgun forum, I'm sure you can get some help over there as well.

The address is http://www.handgunforum.net

me personally, I carry a H&K P30. I've put over 2000 rds through it and not one single flaw, jam or hiccup.

• Members

This is one of the most interesting threads I've read here, thats not about maps

I have my fair share of guns & guitars, but not like some of you guys.

Is reloading handgun really cheaper? I have reloaded some rifle rounds, but how bout pistols? I have a 45 & 9. I can see 45 maybe, for practice. how bout the 9?

Thats a tough one, perhaps someone else can chime in, but for me, the cost of getting training ammo is not THAT much cheaper than buying WWB at wally world, but I shoot mostly 556, and 308.

And I stock piled the 223 so Im good for life, but I have to roll my own with the 308 bolt guns, as that ammo is expensive! and my remington 700s like certain loads to get them to where I want them in the acurracy dept.

Although I did use some serbian match grade 308 this morning, and was hitting a volley ball size rock at 500yards, repeatedly, and that ammo is cheap so I might be using it for a while...

Its hard to find accurate loads for sniper weapons without spending 20-30bucks for a box of 20:cry:

• Members

I thought the title said handjob noob.

As many have mentioned the weapon of choice for a causal shooter is a revolver. You could not touch it for months and it's still intuitive to shoot. I find glocks and the like a little confusing.

Go to any local gun shop and they would likely recommend a nice concealed carry .38 spl.

• Members
Hey man, you ever want to go out shooting, drop me a pm, I shoot once a week usually with alot of friends in local bands here, people I know you probably already know.

I was out yesterday and this morning actually, we would always love to have another guitar gun guy along.

The conversation never gets old with those two topics amoung all of us.

( ex military, cops, trained civilians and respectfull responsible shooters as well; we take our desert shooting sessions seriously and safety is key.)

Sounds like a blast, unfortunately Im moving to Arkansas in 3 weeks. Sure gonna miss this place, been here since 1982. :cry:

We probably do have a few mutual friends...

• Members

There are a couple of good deals at my local store. They re called Citadel Gun and Safe. They have been my favorite store so far. They aren't the cheapest, but they are the nicest.

There is a place out here calle "Discount Firearms". They are GREAT prices. but I have been in there twice, both times I was in the store standing by the counter for 15-20 minutes, and no one asked me if I needed any help. So I won't go back there again.

• Members

There are a couple of good deals at my local store. They re called Citadel Gun and Safe. They have been my favorite store so far. They aren't the cheapest, but they are the nicest.

There is a place out here calle "Discount Firearms". They are GREAT prices. but I have been in there twice, both times I was in the store standing by the counter for 15-20 minutes, and no one asked me if I needed any help. So I won't go back there again.

Shooters world still there in vegas?

They used to be the spot to get firearms.

You know you can also use gunbroker and have it transfered to a local FFL dealer near you for pretty cheap as well.

That is if you already know what you want..

I hate it when they either dont want to deal with you, or over sell you.

Thankfully Ive bought and transfered so many guns I dont have that problem here in Phoenix, they just see a giant dollar bill sign when I walk in the door.

If there is anything I can do let me know!

Alot of smart gun people in this thread to help out.

• Members

I'll definetly PM you before I buy.

It will be a little before I can afford to buy a gun though 8(

I don't think shooters world is still here

I have a friend on the LVPD, I will ask him where the spot to check out guns is nowdays, its been a few years since I was there for anything gun related....

Kick ass town though!

• Members

I have a friend on the LVPD, I will ask him where the spot to check out guns is nowdays, its been a few years since I was there for anything gun related....

Kick ass town though!

Sweet.

I am going back to school for a couple of years in the spring, and then I'm gonna try to get on the LVMPD. Although I have been warned that it isn't the best LEA to work for

• Members

i do believe 40 cals are a bit cheaper than 45's and have bout the same knock down power.... before ww2 ... i think.... the army used 357's..... and the bullets went through the people... then they'd fall on them with their blades.... or rather bayenet???? i dont know how to spell that.... well... the point is... if you want it to carry and conceal... but you want that knock down power.... you dont want a big gun... you just want big gun power.....i'd go with the springfield armory xd40 .... i think they make a small 3 inch version... and it won gun of the year i think.... plus i like the fact its safe... has double safties... and for a newb.... you dont wanna blow your dick off.... glocks are pretty sweet... but... only have the trigger saftey... so... newbs might blow their dick off. taurus makes great guns for the money as well...... if your a newb... your probably not going to go h&k or sig .... they are great.... but... {censored}...

• Members
Shoot stuff.

With pistols, with rifles, long range, close up shoot houses, alot of car stuff, like how to keep a vehicle moving through road blocks, medical emergency stuff, radio operation, some language lessons.

It was an experience.

They train everyone but few who get their 2month classes actually work for them.

Its just a smart thing to do, if you want to work in a part of the world where they cut your head off on video tape for funsies.

:thu:

• Members

BTW, for the gun nuts...I fired about 50 rounds through this gun on Saturday. Pretty cool weapon.

kriss_crb_so-thumb-500x333.jpg

For those that don't know, it's the Kriss Super V. The full auto version was on Future Weapons recently. It's made right here in Virginia Beach, VA, which is why I got to try one.

Archived