gun nuts: help out a handgun noob

blargh

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Not unless your are law enforcement.

I figured, my whole family out in ohio has licenses to carry concealed weapons, and they take me shooting when I'm around, but my mom doesn't want me around guns :blah:

So when I'm out on my own, I'll probably look at one formyself

• Members

Yup not unless your LEO...

But I did have to go to training in NC a few years back, and had to fly with my weapons in pelican cases and bags.
I had to check them in so they fly in the storage of the plane.
I just liked the face on the lady when I told her that my cart for check in contained.
-Bushmaster m4- 20 mags
-Remington 870 shotgun
-Remington 700 sniper rifle
- Two pistols in 9mm with at least ten mags each.
-mag vests, dumpers, helmet, and LB gear as well as body armor, binocs, range finder, camera, bdu's and a Ghillie...

I was wearing some shorts, sandles, and a slayer t shirt.
I think she {censored} a little in her panties when I explained what I had to have checked in, just from the look in her eyes.

Its pretty easy to move weapons on a plane, as long as you take care of everything ahead of time. And spend the coin on locking pelican travel cases.

• Members

You can't go wrong with a Glock. I've had mine, a 22 .40 caliber, for 12 years now, fired thousands of rounds through it, and never had a malfunction. I've carried it just about every day for 11 of those years as a duty weapon. I also have a Glock 27, which is the .40 caliber mini-Glock, which I carry as a back-up/off-duty gun. Again, never had a malfunction. Those are the only two handguns I own or have ever owned. I carried a Beretta 92F in the Army at one point, and I thought those sucked ass.

• Members

I figured, my whole family out in ohio has licenses to carry concealed weapons, and they take me shooting when I'm around, but my mom doesn't want me around guns
:blah:

So when I'm out on my own, I'll probably look at one formyself

My parents don't like guns either.

Thats why they will never know that I own a bunch of them.... ;)

• Members
My parents don't like guns either.

Thats why they will never know that I own a bunch of them....
;)

Ya, I figured, college soon, and once I'm done with that, my parents will have anysay in what I do then :cop:

And what they don't know can't hurt them

• Members

LEO's have to have a reason to carry on a flight, we can't just carry anytime we want to on a plane. However, we can now carry anywhere in the US regardless of local or state laws to the contrary.

Really?

My Dad works for Customs he they never asked for a reason. They just ask if he is carrying.

• Members

Ya, I figured, college soon, and once I'm done with that, my parents will have anysay in what I do then
:cop:

And what they don't know can't hurt them

Exactly

I take my younger brother out shooting all the time. If my parents ever knew I've dragged him into it... they'd kill me....

• Members

Really?

My Dad works for Customs he they never asked for a reason. They just ask if he is carrying.

Might be different for Feds. Unless something has changed, local/state police have to be on official business and have to have a reason to need the gun as soon as they get off the plane. Have to have a letter from their department, as well.

• Members

Might be different for Feds. Unless something has changed, local/state police have to be on official business and have to have a reason to need the gun as soon as they get off the plane. Have to have a letter from their department, as well.

Good point.

The funny thing is, my Dad is an HR guy for Customs. He's never carried a gun in his life. He just thinks is so cool that they ask him.

• Members

I hear a lot of people say that. Personally, I love mine. It's my favorite handgun that I own. I'm very accurate with it and it's been 100% reliable.

Me to. I love my 92fs. But as I understand the new ones that are being issued in the sandbox there have been alot of items overlooked, unlike the original pietro Beretta pistols..

The beretta is like the ar15, some will hate em, some will love em.

I just like mine due to the ambi safety, and feel in my hands..

Hapless is spot on about the glock though, get good with one, and it will never fail on you. They are used by well over half of LEA's in the states...

Now we are even assigning them to the Iraqi army:facepalm:

While our boys get beretta that dont even compare to the civilian models.

Plastic lanyard loop? WTF is that?

• Members

Me to. I love my 92fs. But as I understand the new ones that are being issued in the sandbox there have been alot of items overlooked, unlike the original pietro Beretta pistols..

The beretta is like the ar15, some will hate em, some will love em.

I just like mine due to the ambi safety, and feel in my hands..

Hapless is spot on about the glock though, get good with one, and it will never fail on you. They are used by well over half of LEA's in the states...

Now we are even assigning them to the Iraqi army:facepalm:

While our boys get beretta that dont even compare to the civilian models.

Plastic lanyard loop? WTF is that?

Yeah, wtf is with that lanyard loop???

Glocks are cool. When I went to buy my first handgun I rented a 92FS, XD, and a Glock 19. While they were all good guns, the 92FS won because I felt the most comfortable with it and, as a first time shooter, I liked the sarety features.

My next gun with either be a Glock 17, 19 or an XD. I'm leaning towards the XD just because the Springfield service department kicks so much ass. My 1911 had been {censored}ing up more and more the longer I had it. I called them up, they emailed me a fedex tag and I sent the gun out. I had it back in less than a week and now it shoots perfectly and I didn't pay a cent. :thu:

• Members

you cant go wrong with a kimber/s&w/colt/springfield armory 1911 copy. Accurate, affordable, knock down power, no risk of over penetration, and most importantly RELIABLE.

If a 45. is too much kick, id reccomend a sig sauer p226 or glock 9mm. Just remember to aim towards the head, because it'll take a few rounds from a 9mm to put a guy down

I'd rather know I put a couple rounds in some {censored}er's chest than hope to hit him in the head once with more than a glancing shot as he's coming at me, possibly with a gun of his own. Believe me he ain't gonna make it too far with his lungs ventilated, and unless they're on pcp their ass is gonna hit the ground on the spot. :cop:

That being said, if you want simplicity and stopping power in the extreme, it's pretty hard to beat the bench mark.

357magnumRevolver.jpeg

• Members
I'd rather know I put a couple rounds in some {censored}er's chest than hope to hit him in the head once with more than a glancing shot as he's coming at me, possibly with a gun of his own. Believe me he ain't gonna make it to far with his lungs ventilated, and unless they're on pcp their ass is gonna hit the ground on the spot.

This. Two to the chest, and one to the head (if you can pull that off, otherwise stick to center mass}.

• Members

If you're a newb, and it sounds like it, a revolver that only has double action shooting sounds like it would work well. Revolvers are simple and there are less things that can go wrong when using them. One that is double action only (without a hammer you can pull back) is safer to carry on your person. It is possible that a hammer could get pulled back while you're carrying it concealed.

My suggestion is to take a gun safety course and learn how to handle one first. Then spend some time researching what pistol would be best for you. Good luck and may the magnum force be with you. :cop:

• Members
I'd rather know I put a couple rounds in some {censored}er's chest than hope to hit him in the head once with more than a glancing shot as he's coming at me, possibly with a gun of his own. Believe me he ain't gonna make it too far with his lungs ventilated, and unless they're on pcp their ass is gonna hit the ground on the spot.

That being said, if you want simplicity and stopping power in the extreme, it's pretty hard to beat the bench mark.

357magnumRevolver.jpeg

that's a cool {censored}en gun

Archived