gun nuts: help out a handgun noob

blargh

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
i figure it's better to be safe than be sorry when I'm getting my teeth kicked in by some thug in my house/car/parking garage. whats a good weapon for self-defense? i know next to nothing about what i'd need
:o
i'm going for something purely utilitarian... light and small enough to carry, reliable enough to not jam or explode in my face or something, reasonably priced, adequate power. don't really care how shiny and pretty it is.

GLOCK....one of the compact models like the 26.....in 9mm.

THEN....

go to the range, get some PROFESSIONAL INSTRUCTION, and learn to shoot by going through a few thousand rounds.

GET your concealed permit.

THEN.....

get MORE traning when you can.

go to range and repeat.

• Members
Exactly

I take my younger brother out shooting all the time. If my parents ever knew I've dragged him into it... they'd kill me....

My mom won't let my sister anywhere near guns, but granted she's only 14.
I'm 17, and I think the coolest gun I've shot was a colt .45

Old school, but it was a cool gun. I've shot the desert eagle, they're interesting, had a good amount of recoil though.

But my mom certainly doesn't approve of her brothers taking me out shooting, but oh well. As long as I don't go GTA on everybody, I think I'll be ok ;)

• Members

Im sorry, but I would NEVER carry a Baretta 92f. Ive seen one to many blow up in peoples faces

YOU have actually seen, or you have seen on the net and heard in certain circles?

Man Ive seen them used everywhere from Iraq to police, to rental gun ranges, even to police buybacks that have 40k on them, and never , NEVER actually seen one go up, but the stories are everywhere that they are dangerous.

There are so many guns out there that blow up it isnt even funny.

Beretta, sig, HK, and kimber are all companies that have had that issue.

And even the new FN as well.

Hell XD has mulitple lawsuits against them for the same thing right now, in reality from confirmed reports published in jan o8, the XD was the most prone to expload handgun in 07 with the most cases noted. Followed by the glock 21 in 45 auto.

Id like to add as well, that the reported cases of ALL handgun kabooms were under 15 examples.

And you and I know how many guns are actually out there!

It just happens with all firearms if one does not inspect them when cleaning, and maintain them especially after they get to the 30k up range...

That and people load ammo hot, or dont inspect thier ammo out of the box.

I trained at blackwater, and 6 days a week, for 4hours a day, for four weeks, I was in a line of 50+ shooters who all used their loaner berettas, and I can count the number of jams on one hand, and not once did I, or the trainers ever see a explosion.

Some of those guns were police buy backs.

But the net, and gunshows/gunstores push the myth that they are unsafe.

Although I do respect yout opinion not to carry one, I just had to add that in perspective, the kabooms berettas have are no more than any other gun..

For target shooting, I trust my old beretta 100%.

• Members

Glock 17 or 19 would propably be your best bet, they are accurate, simple and extremely reliable. If you go with Kimber change the magazine out with one from wilson tactical (KImber's mag. tends to jam). H&K's new p30 or new .45 is also a great choice. SIG P226 is certainly not bad either. CZ has some pretty nice models. For concealed carry you can't go wrong with a North American Arms 5-shot .22 mag. derringer. If it's for self defense I would suggest tritium night sights from trijicon, meprolight, or truglo. A Surefire flashlight couldn't hurt either. Load it with corbon +p ammo (avoid +p+ Their is no standard therefore each company loads different and some less popular out of country brands could be dangerous).

• Members

Thank God someone is talking some F'n sense here. I have owned numerous semi-auto pistols and they have ALL jammed on me before...even the Glocks. For dependable self-defense with a powerful and controllable round, the .38 snub nose is king.

When I was younger, I thought I needed all that fancy {censored} too. The truth is, if you need more than the 5 or 6 shot capacity offered by a revolver, you're probably a dead man anyway.

If a Glock jammed on you it is probably because you were limp wristing not because of the gun, I assure you.

• Members

are there any solid options below $500-400 or so? or is it a bad idea to cheap out on guns?

It is definetly a bad idea, especially for self-defense. Buy something trashy like a kel-tec and you'll regret it without a doubt. If oyu would like e-mail me with any questions. I know quite a bit about guns. Had a love for guns Since I was 7 Years old and have researched them extensively.

• Members

If a Glock jammed on you it is probably because you were limp wristing not because of the gun, I assure you.

Glocks jam all the time, doesnt mean the gun is bad, I believe he was stating that a revolver, for self defense purposes, would be less likely to jam in the hands of a noob than a semi auto.

No matter who makes it, if there is more than a few moving parts a jam can happen, granted with glocks it usually is either limp wristing, or ammo/mag malfunctions.

• Members

Glocks jam all the time, doesnt mean the gun is bad, I believe he was stating that a revolver, for self defense purposes, would be less likely to jam in the hands of a noob than a semi auto.

No matter who makes it, if there is more than a few moving parts a jam can happen, granted with glocks it usually is either limp wristing, or ammo/mag malfunctions.

I have ran thousands upon thousands of rounds through my Glock without a single jam. Shot everything from the cheapest to most expensive ammo.

• Members

It is definetly a bad idea, especially for self-defense. Buy something trashy like a kel-tec and you'll regret it without a doubt. If oyu would like e-mail me with any questions. I know quite a bit about guns. Had a love for guns Since I was 7 Years old and have researched them extensively.

Well since you are doing alot of extensive research when you are seven, I would like to remind you in all due respect, that there are a TON of pistols out there that have been used in combat and proven that are under $400.

I could make a list of them there are so many.

And the S/W revolver is one of them. Mine cost $325 brand new.

And alot of people swear by their keltecs as well.

I own 1500 dollar kimbers, and 300 Smith and wessons.

Alot of the time you get what you pay for, I agree with you there, but when it comes to handguns, there are alot of excellent guns that are not trash, nor are they over $400-$500 dollars.

• Members

Well since you are doing alot of extensive research when you are seven, I would like to remind you in all due respect, that there are a TON of pistols out there that have been used in combat and proven that are under $400.

I could make a list of them there are so many.

And the S/W revolver is one of them. Mine cost $325 brand new.

And alot of people swear by their keltecs as well.

I own 1500 dollar kimbers, and 300 Smith and wessons.

Alot of the time you get what you pay for, I agree with you there, but when it comes to handguns, there are alot of excellent guns that are not trash, nor are they over $400-$500 dollars.

I know but for a noob it would be better for him to just spend the money instead of making a guess.

• Members

I have ran thousands upon thousands of rounds through my Glock without a single jam. Shot everthing from the cheapest to most expensive ammo.

As have I.

I fired so many rounds through my 19, that I eventually had to get a new barrel, and still had no problems.

But Im telling you, that doesnt mean that every glock is perfect.

They do have their issues.

And I have seen jams during tactical classes or CCW training.

It happens.

Now how many jams do you see in revolvers?

• Members

As have I.

I fired so many rounds through my 19, that I eventually had to get a new barrel, and still had no problems.

But Im telling you, that doesnt mean that every glock is perfect.

They do have their issues.

And I have seen jams during tactical classes or CCW training.

It happens.

Now how many jams do you see in revolvers?

Your right revolvers do not jam. It just sounded like the guy was making it out like Semis are garbage and they jam all the time.

• Members

I know but for a noob it would be better for him to just spend the money instead of making a guess.

Anyone that promotes someone to "spend the money" rather than test out all the different firearms that would work well for him, Or even worse, tell him that a revolver is more prone to failure than a glock, might have skipped some of his extensive research over the years.

Look Im glad you love glock, I love em to, Im 37. Ive served not only with the military, Ive worked as a contractor, and as a firearms instructor all the way down to a counter jockey at gunstores. Hunted and shot since I was ten.

And I dont feel that I have the experience to tell someone else what gun they need, no matter how many gun related jobs are on the resume.

Ive got a bulgarian Mak, that has never jammed, and I saw them first hand used by Iraqi police, and they worked and could be trusted to shoot everytime you pull the trigger.

And I bought mine from a whole sale company in Prescott AZ for $125.

Just because the price is high doesnt make it flawless.

Glocks are awesome, but they arent for everyone, and they arent without their flaws.

And If I was telling my brother what gun to get for protection, KNOWING that he doesnt shoot, I would give him the most failsafe, reliable and powerfull gun that I know of for his experience range.

And that is usually a revolver.

• Members

Your right revolvers do not jam. It just sounded like the guy was making it out like Semis are garbage and it occurs all the time.

And you and I know they arent junk, GLocks are some of the best made guns on the face of the planet, the benchmark for all polymer.

But in the hands of someone who doenst know how to clear a limp wristed stovepipe, or mag double feed, well its as usefull as a rock.

Revolvers are a great starting point, and once they get that idea down, move on up to the fun stuff!!!

Not disagreeing with ya, I think we are saying the same thing...

• Members
I find that really cool
:thu:

But didn't they get kicked out of IRaq
:confused:

Yes they did, and I was not involved with any of that!
They do train rather aggressivly so it was only a matter of time.
Shame to, as their school is the best of its kind on the planet.

• Members

Anyone that promotes someone to "spend the money" rather than test out all the different firearms that would work well for him, Or even worse, tell him that a revolver is more prone to failure than a glock, might have skipped some of his extensive research over the years.

Look Im glad you love glock, I love em to, Im 37. Ive served not only with the military, Ive worked as a contractor, and as a firearms instructor all the way down to a counter jockey at gunstores. Hunted and shot since I was ten.

And I dont feel that I have the experience to tell someone else what gun they need, no matter how many gun related jobs are on the resume.

Ive got a bulgarian Mak, that has never jammed, and I saw them first hand used by Iraqi police, and they worked and could be trusted to shoot everytime you pull the trigger.

And I bought mine from a whole sale company in Prescott AZ for $125.

Just because the price is high doesnt make it flawless.

Glocks are awesome, but they arent for everyone, and they arent without their flaws.

And If I was telling my brother what gun to get for protection, KNOWING that he doesnt shoot, I would give him the most failsafe, reliable and powerfull gun that I know of for his experience range.

And that is usually a revolver.

I don't think he shouldn't try out the different guns, I just don't want him guessing on what is good. He should check with someone who knows about the particular model he is looking at before he purchases it. The "spend the money" was meant as a general saying, not to compare one particular gun to another. Their is some cheaper guns that are as good as the more expensive ones. I have to agree with you on the revolver issue they are prety much jam proof. To start learning, a revolver would be a good choice for getting comfortable with a handgun, if you feel as though a semi is too complicated for you (but they are pretty staight forward). For a CCW, you can't go wrong with a North American Arms 5-shot .22 mag. derringer, or other revolvers. However, I do not think you can go wrong with a semi either. Whether it is Glock, H&K, Sig, ETC....

• Members

there's absolutely no reason for a "noob" to be handling firearms.

that's why you get TRAINING.

you do basic handgun safety, then target practice, then you graduate to feed and failure jams, low light shooting, and other tactical training.

if you're gonna carry a gun do the rest of us a favor, and get TRAINING.

my glock 26 has been through thousands of rounds, without ONE failure. and i don't clean it religiously like some gun nuts do.

yes, a revolver is about 100% failure free.

but -- i have my glock, and three extra fully loaded magazines with speer gold dots -- that's 41 rounds total. if the crap hits the fan and i'm going down, then there's gonna be a few going down with me.

41 is quite a few more than 5 or 6....

• Members

And you and I know they arent junk, GLocks are some of the best made guns on the face of the planet, the benchmark for all polymer.

But in the hands of someone who doenst know how to clear a limp wristed stovepipe, or mag double feed, well its as usefull as a rock.

Revolvers are a great starting point, and once they get that idea down, move on up to the fun stuff!!!

Not disagreeing with ya, I think we are saying the same thing...

I Agree.

Archived