gun nuts: help out a handgun noob

blargh

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Oh man do I know that. But for the money you really cant beat an ak varient. But like you I own, and like both. AR for accuracy and ergonomics, AK for knockdown power and reliability.

I watched a vid of a guy dumping his ak (a romainian wassr) in the mud and pulling it out then shooting 30 rounds through it
:eek:
with no problem

Have you seen the video of a gun draining a couple drum mags through his fully automatic Ak, to the point that the hand guards light on fire, yet it still functions! That's epic reliability win right there.

• Members

Nope, she is a Spanish cetme.

You can tell by the paddle sight.

She is wearing HK gear though....And it is real easy to confuse them thats for sure...

I still love her and shes fun to shoot!

Your thinking of vector I think?

They sell alot on atlantic arms, from what I hear they are pretty nice...

Ive got a chinese vector UZI from them that I found to be a nice little gun!

How is that CETME? J&G sales has them for a bit over 500, which seems like a pretty good price. Can they use G3 Mags?

• Members

I agree that for something like that, you kinda need to train aggressively, or no?

What kind of training did you do in the school?

Shoot stuff.

With pistols, with rifles, long range, close up shoot houses, alot of car stuff, like how to keep a vehicle moving through road blocks, medical emergency stuff, radio operation, some language lessons.

It was an experience.

They train everyone but few who get their 2month classes actually work for them.

Its just a smart thing to do, if you want to work in a part of the world where they cut your head off on video tape for funsies.

• Members
How is that CETME? J&G sales has them for a bit over 500, which seems like a pretty good price. Can they use G3 Mags?

A cetme with alot of work!
I did a couple of them, one was more accurate than the other so it got a scope and I used it for a marksmans rifle for a while, just kind heavy to haul around..
23.jpg

Yup they take the G3 mags and furniture and also flash hider as well.
I love to take guns and rebuild them, paint em, and make them worth something...
But I also collect old school sniper weapons that I only shoot on rare occasions. Collecting guns is a great way to make money, and its a part of history...

Like these two,
Russian 91-30 mosin nagant 54r snipers, Ones from Iszvek, the other is a tula.
127_2761.JPG
This was a bring back bosnian sniper rifle from the Yugoslavian war in the 90s..
120_2005.JPG

• Members

No. That gun and it's ammunition will be illegal before long. It's only non-military use is for killing police officers. I really doubt anyone here is going to have a home invader wearing a kevlar vest.

beside the obvious fact that you can't find that AMMO anywhere.

what you gonna do if you get a nice high tech gun with no ammo? you gonna beat someone over the head with it?

there's been a lot of truth spoken in this thread. and anyone who has dealt with this sort of stuff will know who's telling the truth.

a previous poster mentioned the "printing" issue. and he's 100% correct. but...my 26 doesn't print very much, and the extra mags are in my shoulder bag, which is not very covert -- it's a maxpedition versipak -- which to the experienced eye basically tells all.

personally, i try to stay OUT of any situations where i would have to kill someone.

but here in south florida, where things seem to be getting worse and worse and worse.....i prefer to be fully equipped. maybe more than i should be. {censored}, i didn't mention the Armalite Ar-15 in my trunk. not a self defense weapon, but i could hit you at 200 yards with iron sights....

• Members

No. That gun and it's ammunition will be illegal before long. It's only non-military use is for killing police officers. I really doubt anyone here is going to have a home invader wearing a kevlar vest.

Home invaders wear vests all the time in Phoenix.

There are about a dozen a year where they will wear armor, police gear and fake badges. Thats how they get in the house.

Not that I am saying this would be a good home defense weapon, and no they wont be illegal anytime soon.

I have shot both the rifle and the handgun, and I liked em, but I dont want to pay the ammo cost, it isnt cheap.

Both of them are state of the art weapons.

The reason why they wont be illegal is that this is the future of all shouldered weapons.

Everything is going bullpup with faster, more powerfull, smaller rounds for penetration.

Any vest can be penetrated at close range, but the 5-7 still cant break the level III trauma plate.

They are fun to shoot though!

The gun, not the vests..

• Members

what you gonna do if you get a nice high tech gun with no ammo? you gonna beat someone over the head with it?

there's been a lot of truth spoken in this thread. and anyone who has dealt with this sort of stuff will know who's telling the truth.

a previous poster mentioned the "printing" issue. and he's 100% correct. but...my 26 doesn't print very much, and the extra mags are in my shoulder bag, which is not very covert -- it's a maxpedition versipak -- which to the experienced eye basically tells all.

personally, i try to stay OUT of any situations where i would have to kill someone.

but here in south florida, where things seem to be getting worse and worse and worse.....i prefer to be fully equipped. maybe more than i should be. {censored}, i didn't mention the Armalite Ar-15 in my trunk. not a self defense weapon, but i could hit you at 200 yards with iron sights....

You gotta shop online, the ammo is everywhere for sale over the net.

And you said it perfect with "i try to stay OUT of any situations where i would have to kill someone."

The brain is always better than the weapon, think, remain calm, and one shall prevail...:thu:

• Members

another important thing.

i'm not scared of "gangbangers" or other criminals. most of them have little if any training, and just "spray and pray" when they are shooting. they don't know how to seek cover, and most of them have crappy firearms. so on the odd chance that they DONT jam their weapon, i'm still gonna hit them before they hit me.

statistically, most "gunfights" are over quickly with less than 10 rounds fired, and are within 20 feet or less in low light conditions.

but statistics don't mean diddley down here in Miami. we have had PLENTY of multiple round shootings with assault rifles and mac 10 type spray and pray firearms just in this year. Ak 47s every damn where.

luckily, my job is to NOT be seen as a P.I.

and i try to do that well.

• Members

another important thing.

i'm not scared of "gangbangers" or other criminals. most of them have little if any training, and just "spray and pray" when they are shooting. they don't know how to seek cover, and most of them have crappy firearms. so on the odd chance that they DONT jam their weapon, i'm still gonna hit them before they hit me.

statistically, most "gunfights" are over quickly with less than 10 rounds fired, and are within 20 feet or less in low light conditions.

but statistics don't mean diddley down here in Miami. we have had PLENTY of multiple round shootings with assault rifles and mac 10 type spray and pray firearms just in this year. Ak 47s every damn where.

luckily, my job is to NOT be seen as a P.I.

and i try to do that well.

that's cool being a PI.

But ya, chicago at night, on the southern side of the city, it gets nasty. Gangs carry Uzi's fairly often, there's been AK shootings, it's terrible

• Members
You gotta shop online, the ammo is everywhere for sale over the net.

And you said it perfect with "i try to stay OUT of any situations where i would have to kill someone."

The brain is always better than the weapon, think, remain calm, and one shall prevail...
:thu:

that online shopping isn't gonna help when you need it NOW.

i would advise ANY professional to stick with ammo that is EASILY available...9mm, .45, etc...even .40 cal is questionable.

i remember some "hardcore" guy come up to my martial arts instructor and ask him "well, what if i am walking down this dark alley and a guy comes at me like this with a KNIFe...what am i going to do THEN???"

martial arts instructor looks at him hard and says "i am trying to train you to NOT go down that alley, DUMBASS"

:cop:

• Members
that's cool being a PI.

But ya, chicago at night, on the southern side of the city, it gets nasty. Gangs carry Uzi's fairly often, there's been AK shootings, it's terrible

P.I. work is OK, but long 10-12 hour days doing surveillance is a pain in the ass.

I am working towards building a new company that does nothing but computer surveillance. Gotta get OUT of the car, and hire OTHER PEOPLE to do that stuff :thu:

• Members

Ive learned never to underestimate the power and skill of a person I dont know, sometimes judging a book by its cover can get you dead as well.
The war is infusing battle hardened infantry back to the states, and some of them right back to their old gangs.

You guys see that deal on the history channel about the undercover sting by the DOD about gangs already IN the military?
The three guys who were shipping full auto AKs, grenades and claymores back to california from Iraq?
Holy {censored}!
That show was an eye opener for sure.

• Members

Ive learned never to underestimate the power and skill of a person I dont know, sometimes judging a book by its cover can get you dead as well.

The war is infusing battle hardened infantry back to the states, and some of them right back to their old gangs.

You guys see that deal on the history channel about the undercover sting by the DOD about gangs already IN the military?

The three guys who were shipping full auto AKs, grenades and claymores back to california from Iraq?

Holy {censored}!

That show was an eye opener for sure.

THAT is scary stuff.

You're 100% right about that, you can't underestimate people.

God help us if more of these guys are getting training. Or if guys are coming back after being trained by 82nd Airborne and other SF groups, and using that knowledge to train their gang members.

And there are training facilities out there who will train about anyone who has the $$$....

Which reminds me, I am due for another round of training myself!

• Members
that online shopping isn't gonna help when you need it NOW.

i would advise ANY professional to stick with ammo that is EASILY available...9mm, .45, etc...even .40 cal is questionable.

:cop:

Pros dont buy boxes of ammo.
They buy and store for the future my friend.
Buy ammo in bulk, we do have a dem gun grabber possibly coming to office soon.
I havent bought a single box of ammo since I was ten getting me some stingers for the 10-22!

Aimsurplus.com
Buy in bulk. Reload.
I have a seperate safe just for ammo.

In this day and age, storing ammo is the only way to make sure you have what you need when you need it.
It is the currency of the future.

Lets just say, I have been horning ammo for years, I mean YEARS, and to add to the pile I spent my entire tax return check on ammo.
A freeekin palet delivered to my house!
No {censored}.

You said it yourself, guns without ammo are worthless.
Besides, I got cases of 223 when they were still under 200 for a K.
Now that {censored} is skyhigh!
I remember aim had a deal 5-6 years ago, buy ten cases for 150 apeice....
Them were the days..

• Members
P.I. work is OK, but long 10-12 hour days doing surveillance is a pain in the ass.

I am working towards building a new company that does nothing but computer surveillance. Gotta get OUT of the car, and hire OTHER PEOPLE to do that stuff

haha, that would stink to just sit there and watch all day

• Members

other places besides Wal Mart carry ammo.

• Members

Yeah, I know, theyre going to be banned before long, IMO. Bad ass gun though, shoots like a 22, accurate as hell and yeah...the vest issue.

Glad at least someone here knows about the FN 5.7.

• Members

Yeah, I know, theyre going to be banned before long. Bad ass gun though, shoots like a 22, accurate as hell and yeah...the vest issue.

Glad at least someone here knows about the FN 5.7.

The only peice of legislation that was ever against the 5.7 round was shot down last april.
Look it up.
California might make it illegal, but they make toasters and blenders illegal on a weekly basis.
Its like the 50.
The same people outside the industry have been saying it would be banned for years and years.
Still here.
If you do more reading you will learn that a ammo company, called ammo man, is acutally going into business with herstal to make the ammo here in the states.

Its a rumor, like cop killer bullets, and fiftys bringing down choppers.

They have actually stepped up manufacturing of these pistols.
You live in Phoenix, you should know this.
These guns are for sale at every shop across town, as with the ammo.

The amount of knowlege that is hearsay is what scares me about people owning guns, that or dealers tell customers that to get them to buy it...

• Members

The only peice of legislation that was ever against the 5.7 round was shot down last april.

Look it up.

California might make it illegal, but they make toasters and blenders illegal on a weekly basis.

Its like the 50.

The same people outside the industry have been saying it would be banned for years and years.

Still here.

If you do more reading you will learn that a ammo company, called ammo man, is acutally going into business with herstal to make the ammo here in the states.

Its a rumor, like cop killer bullets, and fiftys bringing down choppers.

Interesting, I'll read up on that. Im just going on what Ive heard. 3 of my friends own them and Ive been seriously considering one.

• Members
Interesting, I'll read up on that. Im just going on what Ive heard. 3 of my friends own them and Ive been seriously considering one.

BUY IT!

THey are fun for sure.
Ive got a shooting partner that has one as well, which lets me tool with it, but not have to fork out the cash for one.

But they arent going anywhere, but I have to admit, even my friend tells everyone the same thing when showing it off.

" this gun is so badass its going to be banned any day now ":lol:

That gun is badass, no matter what they do with it, it could come in PINK and still be a sweet weapon!
Phoenix Gunstore has them, as well as the pistol parlor and scottsdale gun club.

You gotta love our state, gun stores everywhere!

Had to show you this pic though...
From the FN message boards..
I guess it was due to a reload, NOT factory ammo, just loaded to hot. So this isnt normal, but its what happens when you reload and arent paying attention to detail! This left a mark..
fn_003Large.jpg
fn_014Large.jpg

• Members

Pros dont buy boxes of ammo.

They buy and store for the future my friend.

Buy ammo in bulk, we do have a dem gun grabber possibly coming to office soon.

I havent bought a single box of ammo since I was ten getting me some stingers for the 10-22!

Aimsurplus.com

Buy in bulk. Reload.

I have a seperate safe just for ammo.

In this day and age, storing ammo is the only way to make sure you have what you need when you need it.

It is the currency of the future.

Lets just say, I have been horning ammo for years, I mean YEARS, and to add to the pile I spent my entire tax return check on ammo.

A freeekin palet delivered to my house!

No {censored}.

You said it yourself, guns without ammo are worthless.

Besides, I got cases of 223 when they were still under 200 for a K.

Now that {censored} is skyhigh!

I remember aim had a deal 5-6 years ago, buy ten cases for 150 apeice....

Them were the days..

you are once again correct.

cheaperthedirt.com

i got some .223 piled away in ammo cans, Lake City M193, mmm mmm good!

and plenty of 9mm.

• Members

and ammoman.com rules as well.

and hey -- i DO buy ammo at Walmart. why not? I have gotten some INCREDIBLE deals at Wally World. But the looks on the clerks faces when I completely clean them out of .223 is priceless.

• Members
BUY IT!

THey are fun for sure.

Ive got a shooting partner that has one as well, which lets me tool with it, but not have to fork out the cash for one.

But they arent going anywhere, but I have to admit, even my friend tells everyone the same thing when showing it off.

" this gun is so badass its going to be banned any day now ":lol:

That gun is badass, no matter what they do with it, it could come in PINK and still be a sweet weapon!

Phoenix Gunstore has them, as well as the pistol parlor and scottsdale gun club.

You gotta love our state, gun stores everywhere!

Yep....Thats EXACTLY what my friends are saying. ("Get one while you still can Ronnie!") I can pick one up for under $900 out the door and after shooting it Im kind of obsessed.

And yeah, you gotta love Phoenix. :love:

Archived