gun nuts: help out a handgun noob

blargh

• Members

i figure it's better to be safe than be sorry when I'm getting my teeth kicked in by some thug in my house/car/parking garage. whats a good weapon for self-defense? i know next to nothing about what i'd need :o

i'm going for something purely utilitarian... light and small enough to carry, reliable enough to not jam or explode in my face or something, reasonably priced, adequate power. don't really care how shiny and pretty it is.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

you cant go wrong with a kimber/s&w/colt/springfield armory 1911 copy. Accurate, affordable, knock down power, no risk of over penetration, and most importantly RELIABLE.

If a 45. is too much kick, id reccomend a sig sauer p226 or glock 9mm. Just remember to aim towards the head, because it'll take a few rounds from a 9mm to put a guy down

• Members
loaded-desert-eagle-web.jpg

/thread

While nice to shoot, they have reliabilty issues and the 50.AE can pierce level 2 armor... definitely NOT something you want for personal protection. Desert Eagles while sexy, are not ideal for home protection PERIOD.

Edit: if home protection is your goal, pick up a 12 gauge. Cant beat it.

• Members

I have a Sig Sauer P229 that I used when I trained to be a peace officer many moons ago. They are high end though. I actually find the Glock's to be more efficient being considerably lighter and easier to wield during a gunfight. The Glock 17s and 19s have been carried by a lot of law enforcement officers and are not terribly expensive. If you want something small a .380 S & W is small and easy to use. I would recommend going to a gun range where some police officers routinely train and ask the Range Master what his recommendations are, especially given the fact that the "ideal" gun / weapon changes just about every year. I remember one year the Secret Service was using the Sig Sauer P229s with .40mm then changed over to the .357 the next year. Personally I like the .357barrels better. Seems like they are more accurate, at least to me....

• Members

K, first- It's got to fit your hand. ask for sales help in dry firing the handgun once or twice to make sure you have proper grip/ trigger engagement. I love beretta pistols, but I have short/ thick fingers and don't really get leverage On the trigger.
If you want a pistol, (not a revolver) I would recommend a double- action pistol. Try ruger for a start. Buget priced, quality pistols. If you can buy used, Sig and Glock are right up the same alley as far as simple trigger action, great choices. Simple and damn near indistructable. the Kimber is really sweet, but make sure you know what you are doing with it, Pay for a class to familiarize yourself, and practice.

• Members

Sig P229 in .357 SIG.

/thread.

I wouldnt recommend this either, as the .357 sig kicks like a mule, expensive to shoot, and because of the high chamber pressures, has a short service life. It can also over penetrate very easy (go through target and through walls and hit unintended targets)

• Members

Have any of you guys seen that revolver that can chamber either 45 cal cowboy or 410 shotshell? I saw that on self defence tv. Wicked. With .410 the pattern is like 2 feet wide within 5 feet. No shooting through walls, and you can't miss in a hallway. I THINK Taurus makes it, but don't quote me on it.

• Members

I wouldnt recommend this either, as the .
357 sig kicks like a mule
, expensive to shoot, and because of the high chamber pressures, has a short service life. It can also over penetrate very easy (go through target and through walls and hit unintended targets)

I can handle it fine :idk:

But I guess your right about every thing else. Sig might also be not as utilitarian as the OP wants...when you say utilitarian, something like a Glock or Springfield XD comes to mind.

• Members

Dont listen to anyone yet. your first gun, for defense should not be a semi auto pistol.

You need something thats easy to use, cant jam on you or malfunction, accurate for self defense, has good knock down, and is cheap?

Smith and wesson Airweight 38 snubby.
end of thread.

I own over a dozen pistols, and yet I carry this one when I use my CCW. VERY light and it means business.

• Members
I can handle it fine
:idk:

But I guess your right about every thing else. Sig might also be not as utilitarian as the OP wants...when you say utilitarian, something like a Glock or Springfield XD comes to mind.

Sigs have less moving parts that the XD.
Just so you know.
XD and glock are nothing alike, other than they are both black and pistols.
Sigs are used by the top contractors and seals for a reason, they are utterly reliable, accurate and don't need maintenance as there are only 5 parts to break it down.
To many times people equate the name sig, with technical weapons when they are not.

• Members

Dont listen to anyone yet. your first gun, for defense should not be a semi auto pistol.

You need something thats easy to use, cant jam on you or malfunction, accurate for self defense, has good knock down, and is cheap?

Smith and wesson Airweight 38 snubby.

end of thread.

I own over a dozen pistols, and yet I carry this one when I use my CCW. VERY light and it means business.

Good advice. Or get a .357 and shoot .38. I have a Colt Python .357, but for the home, it gets .38 rounds.

• Members
I can handle it fine
:idk:

I can too, however the op is an inexperienced shooter. It took me a while to get used to a standard .45 when i started, and a .357sig kicks harder...definitely not something to jump into.

• Members
Sigs have less moving parts that the XD.

Just so you know.

XD and glock are nothing alike, other than they are both black and pistols.

Sigs are used by the top contractors and seals for a reason, they are utterly reliable, accurate and don't need maintenance as there are only 5 parts to break it down.

To many times people equate the name sig, with technical weapons when they are not.

the_more_you_know2.jpg

• Members
the_more_you_know2.jpg

:lol::lol:

Sorry...
I carried a sig as a contractor overseas, and found that for an inanimate object, I love it like nothing Ive ever known.
Saved my ass a time or two.
If I could have one pistol for the rest of my life it would be my sig226r Navy seal issue...

Archived