Hell yea on McCain's VP pick!

Spizzledude

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When I look at the Alaska ones they're slimm pickins, mostly GIS stuff, and almost all in
Anchorage which from what I have read is going to be like some of the DC area, ruined by "immigrants" that want to change it rather than relish the mindset of the natives

I've lived here my whole life and I haven't noticed this :idk:

Sure Alaska isn't what it was 30 years ago, but it's still the most unique place in the world IMO.

• Members

Anything MS that has 5 zero's and super cool people. This last year was an immersion Windows Workflow Foundation. This year is gonna be more sharepoint oriented. I'd like to get into compute clusters/cache strategies/OLAP... more "cloudy" things that keep the brain fed.

The main thing is I need to know that if I lose a job there's more out there... ones I would actually like. Around here I can get 50+ calls/day if I post my resume. If i search boards I can get 50-150 results, and they're all less than an hour away. When I look at the Alaska ones they're slimm pickins, mostly GIS stuff, and almost all in Anchorage which from what I have read is going to be like some of the DC area, ruined by "immigrants" that want to change it rather than relish the mindset of the natives.

Uhm, if you talked to a native I'm sure he'd say it was ruined by whitey who didn't want to live like him. And while there are many immigrants and it is diverse, its definitely not being ruined :rolleyes:

Anchorage can only grow so much, we have limited space. Blocked by water on 3 sides, and mountains on the 4th.

• Members

Uhm, if you talked to a native I'm sure he'd say it was ruined by whitey who didn't want to live like him. And while there are many immigrants and it is diverse, its definitely not being ruined
:rolleyes:

Anchorage can only grow so much, we have limited space. Blocked by water on 3 sides, and mountains on the 4th.

Bridge to nowhere :cop:

• Members

I've lived here my whole life and I haven't noticed this
:idk:

Sure Alaska isn't what it was 30 years ago, but it's still the most unique place in the world IMO.

've read a lot of complaints avout what basically basically is a bunch of smug city slicker yuppies from down south trying to do unAlaskan things like passing trivial laws wanting expensive public works, etc.

Virginia was one of the most moved to states for several years (dunno about now). When I moved here 15 years ago I was shocked that people said hi for no reason, and made eye contact almost without exception. It's not like that anymore. All the anonymous assholes have taken over. In response, there is a huge population that has moved to more rural living but has to commute 2hrs+ to work. I don't want to move to Alaska and be in that sort of situation because the work is in Anchorage but I hat the people there.

• Members

Here's a friend of mine's take on McCain's choice. I think it's right on (and hilarious):

For months he's [McCain] been harping like a parrot with Tourettes "Obama's not experienced" "Obama's not experienced" "Obama's not experienced" Squawk! So who does he choose to be his veep?

Well, admittedly she's hot, but she's got two years as governor of Alaska (Alaska for Gawd's sake! I didn't even know they had elections, I thought they just picked officials with sled races and bare fisted boxing) and before that she was mayor of a city the size of Wetumpka [Alabama. A small town on the outskirts of Montgomery]! And this is to be separated from the highest office in the land by one life, and that's the life of a 72 year old man who's had skin cancer, a family history of fatal heart attacks, who still suffers from damage done by torture in Vietnam, and who's running a schedule that would exhaust most 30 year olds to get the most stressful job in the country (unless you're George Bush in which case it's a cakewalk). Damn!

This officially means he can no longer say anything about Obama's lack of experience without getting a very reasonable "Well you must not think it's that important..." retort. He follows all the "people just like Obama cause he's young and good looking" slams by picking a candidate with little to recommend other than being "young and good looking... with 80% more boobs!" (which admittedly did just get a few million votes)- it's like the scene in OH BROTHER WHERE ART THOU when Charles Durning's advisors recommend beating their opponent who travels with his midget "by gittin' us a' even littler midget!"

• Members

Virginia was one of the most moved to states for several years (dunno about now). When I moved here 15 years ago I was shocked that people said hi for no reason, and made eye contact almost without exception. It's not like that anymore.

Yep. Dark Angel and I lived in the same small town when I was stationed there just a year ago. I have never been to a more rude environment in my life. I'v had numerous doors not held open for me, people bumping into me in stores, etc. I actually had a woman run and jump in front of me in a grocery line one time. I was like WTF?

Hawaii is not perfect but when you make friends here, they are friends for life. People greet each other with hugs here, say "howzit?", and the overall feeling of relaxation is everywhere. Hawaii has problems with drugs and gangs like anywhere else, but still a very positive feeling on the island.

• Members

Hawaii is not perfect but when you make friends here, they are friends for life. People greet each other with hugs here, say "howzit?", and the overall feeling of relaxation is everywhere. Hawaii has problems with drugs and gangs like anywhere else, but still a very positive feeling on the island.

Fo shizzle... I have a bunch of family there and I've been about 5 times and everyone's friendly and relaxed. It's like no one's ever in a rush to go anywhere. Definitely a different lifestyle and culture than anywhere I've been on the mainland. Almost like being in a different country sometimes.

I always forget that you hug & kiss the ladies on the cheek when saying hai/bai and when I visit, at first I'm like wtf, why are my cousins kissing me. :lol::facepalm:

Although I haven't really been in Honolulu in quite a while besides flying through there, I'd imagine there's a little more going on there and it's a little more "Western" since it's one of the more populated areas.

Also, family is very important there.... very tight people. They will do anything for their family.

• Members

Yep. Dark Angel and I lived in the same small town when I was stationed there just a year ago. I have never been to a more rude environment in my life.

Someone's never been to NYC

or Boston

or Connecticut

actually in general I find New Englanders to be just about the rudest people alive.

• Members

Someone's never been to NYC

or Boston

or Connecticut

actually in general I find New Englanders to be just about the rudest people alive.

I'v been to NYC. I remember people slamming into me violently but it was almost like they didn't even know they were doing it. In Reston, where I lived outside D.C., people slammed violently into you because they drive a Ferrari and are the CEO of some major company.

• Members

I don't see what voters she will bring to the ticket. IMO, Anyone she appeals to is already on board with McCain.

She might also appeal to conservatives, which doesn't really describe McCain. I'm pretty happy with this choice.

• Members

She might also appeal to conservatives, which doesn't really describe McCain. I'm pretty happy with this choice.

You mean the conservatives that were voting for Obama until Palin was picked?

I'm talking about, who that was on the fence did she sway to the McCain camp?

- She's presides over a state that teaches creationism as a science along with evolution. If you are on-board with that you probably aren't thinking Obama.

- She's an ex beauty queen. This isn't a plus for persuading women voters.

- She's a gun toting NRA member. This isn't a plus for persuading women voters. In fact I doubt it's a plus for McCain in general to bring this up. Anyone who is a big advocate of gun rights isn't in Obama's camp.

- Will the image of her leading the nation in the event of McCain croaking or getting very ill add or detract to the McCain platform?

It's a question of did this choice add anyone to his voter base?

• Members

Wait a minute, as much as I think creationism is WRONG and I don't agree with her pro-life stance, isn't the whole point of this Country to get people into office who believe what you believe, and do what you think is the right thing. If 51% of this Country believes that creationism should be taught in schools then it should be regardless of whether we
personally
think it's right or not.

Again I know elections don't work 50/50 like that, blah blah blah but for the sake of argument if 51% of the country believes a certain thing, and VOTE to get someone to make that happen in office then isn't that the "will" of the country? even if 49% disagree?

No, the point is to elect people who are smart enough to debate one another until a compromise is reached and the constitution is upheld. That's called Majority Tyranny when you do something just because more people want than don't. When both segregation and slavery were banned, they were still popular with the majority, but it was leaders that had the foresight to see injustice and unconstitutional acts in place.

As far as whether or not it's okay to make fun of Republicans or Democrats for their beliefs vs. making fun of Gays, Blacks, Women etc...

People CHOOSE their belief system. Just like you choose your religion, the clothing trends you follow, etc. If you want to say someone looks dumb in bondage pants in order to feel better about yourself, then it's your right (even though you are an asshole). Just like we make fun of people who scoop the mids on their Marshall MG series combos.

Making fun of someone who is gay, black, female, disabled, arab, or any other inherent trait is touchy for the opposite reason. These people didn't choose these traits, and these traits are only a part of their experience and do not define who they are.

• Members

I just watched her talk about her view on energy and they are right on with my views. She made a great point on why do we have to go to saudi arabia and plead with them to produce more oil when we can do it ourselves and not rely on crazy mofo's controlling the worlds oil supply

• Members

You mean the conservatives that were voting for Obama until Palin was picked?

I'm talking about, who that was on the fence did she sway to the McCain camp?

- She's presides over a state that teaches creationism as a science along with evolution.
If you are on-board with that you probably aren't thinking Obama.

- She's an ex beauty queen. This isn't a plus for persuading women voters.

- She's a gun toting NRA member. This isn't a plus for persuading women voters. In fact I doubt it's a plus for McCain in general to bring this up. Anyone who is a big advocate of gun rights isn't in Obama's camp.

- Will the image of her leading the nation in the event of McCain croaking or getting very ill add or detract to the McCain platform?

It's a question of did this choice add anyone to his voter base?

NO IT'S NOT

• Members

She's from Alaska, home of intarweb pipes and the bridge to nowhere. Way to pander, Republicans. Coulda just gone to Hooters to grab some chick and the slack jawed mouthbreathers would put just as much actual thought into their vote as they will anyways.

Ah.....more partisan crap.

And now it's time for Obama to criticise the (IN)EXPERIENCE of the VP choice...right?

Fact is she IS attractive...but what else do you know about her? Don't just play politics like your opinion and blinded viewpoint is some God's truth.

Do your homework. How does she represent the average American's life? How does she play HER politics.

If we have paid attention, we know as much or more about her personal life in one day than we knew about the Obama's in one year.

You don't seem to even know she has a reputation for standing her ground against her own party. Maverick...so to speak. She has what?...a 90% approval rating in Alaska?

I wish to GOD we'd stop this party politics bull{censored}.

• Members

My point was more about Alaskan voting habits. They elected that crazy {censored}ing bastard Ted Stevens for 30000 years.

What they really wanted was someone who won't rock the boat when McCain's Sith Masters try to shove four more years of your tax dollars into their pockets.

As opposed to shoving billions of dollars into the UN pockets?

I knew youdidn't know much about this pick. If you think she'll never "rock the boat".

That's one of the reason McCain chose her. She's for drilling AND a boat rocker. :)

• Members

Great, she can build an even bigger bridge to nowhere with the federal deficit.

Seriously though, can anyone not see that this is a blatant ploy to appeal to the women who would have voted for Hillary?

-W

Yeah...not at ALL like the Democratic push for Obama? Even Clinton?No...couldn't be.

• Members

I've read her resume, and she has the goods and has proven herself in politics.

She has a great and clean background, and has kept away from the slime in Washington.

She has class, smarts, the temperment and brains to be great.
:thu:

VERY good post...and you DID some homework instead of just spouting off opinionated bull{censored}.

My compliments.

• Members

VERY good post...and you DID some homework instead of just spouting off opinionated bull{censored}.

My compliments.

Y'know, for a centrist independent, you only ever seem to have a problem with liberals and Democrats. But, someone blows the Rep. candidate, and they get your compliments.

...what was that about partisan bull{censored}, again?

Archived