Why is "sag" a desirable feature in an amp?

petejt

• Members

I just don't understand it. :confused:

To me, "sag" drags the tone away from the note. And it drags the notes away from each other, so much that each note is almost to literally incomprensible to each other. It drags down your playing. It smothers the notes, it smears them, it smudges them. It clouds them, conceals them, & craps them out :facepalm: .

If that's the case, then why is sag such an inherent feature in particular guitar amplifiers that are famously (& copycat-tedly) used across the world?

wat, you say?

yeah, WAT

I say wat :confused:

what's it all about?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It goes along with the feel of the amp, kind of like compression. Some like compressed amps, others like uncompressed amp that really respond your pick attack and style.

Typically amps with a tube rectifier are going to have more sag than ones with a SS rectifier...

• Members

I guess it depends on the users preference. I think of a tight amp to be kind of dry. Sag adds depth. I like both types, just depends on what I want to play.

Precisely. Not everybody is after a super-tight metal rhythm tone. Sag and bloom in the notes is a glorious thing when done right.

• Members

Confucius say: Better amp to have sag than wife.

:lol:

Yeah I can understand why tighter amps are preferred for metal music, which is why I prefer tight amps.

But surely tight amps work fine for other musical styles? They do for me.

I don't really get this "bloom" thing. I still perceive that no matter the gain level, saggyness will still smother the notes and therefore make them inaudible- all that remains is an inconherent mess?

What are some examples/clips of saggy amps used with lower gain & other musical styles?

• Members

I just don't understand it.
:confused:

Sag can be very expressive when used in the right circumstances.

Do you play a alot of lead guitar?

You don't have to get sag, it just works for some people.

The only reason sag is looked on negatively on this forum is because of all the metalheads who play fast stop/start stuff.

• Members

sag is not natural when speaking of guitar.
:mad:
classical guys do not like sag either, mainly the rock and rollers who like dirty music.

Distortion is not natural when speaking of guitar either.

Actually, sag, in many ways, has been around longer than any considerable amount of distortion.

• Members

Sag can be very expressive when used in the right circumstances.

Do you play a alot of lead guitar?

You don't have to get sag, it just works for some people.

The only reason sag is looked on negatively on this forum is because of all the metalheads who play fast stop/start stuff.

nah, I'm mostly a rhythm player. I'm better at it than lead. I would like to be better at lead though.

and I guess though yes I am mostly a metalhead. I like amps to be very responsive and react quickly, as you said the "fast stop/start" stuff. otherwise I feel like the notes just get washed away amongst each other.

What guitar amps that have a lot of sag, that are famously used for non-metal musical styles?

• Members

nah, I'm mostly a rhythm player. I'm better at it than lead. I would like to be better at lead though.

and I guess though yes I am mostly a metalhead. I like amps to be very responsive and react quickly, as you said the "fast stop/start" stuff. otherwise I feel like the notes just get washed away amongst each other.

What guitar amps that have a lot of sag, that are famously used for non-metal musical styles?

JTM45

Mesa rectifier

Plexi's IMO, not a ton of sag but it's there.

Archived