Why is "sag" a desirable feature in an amp?

petejt

• Members

But couldn't you get "sag" by the picking technique? Just how you hit the string would affect how it rings out.

That's not the same "sag" people are talking about. In fact, on an amp with sag, that technique is more dramatic.

Have you gone and played any of the amps easily found at a local guitar shop mentioned in this thread yet or are you just bumping a troll thread?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's not the same "sag" people are talking about. In fact, on an amp with sag, that technique is more dramatic.

Have you gone and played any of the amps easily found at a local guitar shop mentioned in this thread yet or are you just bumping a troll thread?

No I'm not just bumping, I'm still pondering the question.

I've played some saggy amps, and the sag just annoyed me. In fact it made me even more picky about buying amps. I found that I could get enough warrantable 'sag' by picking technique. I guess maybe that's why I didn't like those amps, due to them accentuating the sag created by technique, as you just explained.

I'd hit the string in a certain way, and say take a Dual Recto for instance, would just burp a big floppy foggy "beeeeooooooooooooowwwwwoohhhhowww".

Is that what "bloom" sounds like?

• Members

The Recto does not have considerable sag in my experience.

JTM45. Play one. No one said you have to like it, but many have described why and what they like about it already.

Oh, and it's easier to make an amp tighter than it is to make it sag more, in my experience.

• Members

I think you need a good healthy dollop of both, even for metal!

My preference anyways!

You need the tightness there to get nice and heavy, but I also like that little bit of a sag you get particurly when soloing. It just allows you as a player to be that bit more expressive.

That's partially why I loved the engl powerball so much. It had both. I used an EQ in the loop and adding just a touch of the low-high mids added what was needed

• Members

I think you need a good healthy dollop of both, even for metal!

My preference anyways!

You need the tightness there to get nice and heavy, but I also like that little bit of a sag you get particurly when soloing. It just allows you as a player to be that bit more expressive.

That's partially why I loved the engl powerball so much. It had both. I used an EQ in the loop and adding just a touch of the low-high mids added what was needed

Would you say that the Engl Fireball has a little bit of sag that works well for expressive lead tones? And with an EQ in its loop?

Archived