O/T: Bands that missed the boat...

petejt

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Gruntruck (peaked when Grunge was dying)

Sabbat (peaked when thrash/speed was dying)

dude gruntruck is awesome. I have had their cd for 15 or 16 years and still play it a ton. "not a lot to save"...what an amazing riff. You know the lead singer died awhile back.

• Members

Frankly, I think this list starts and ends with King's X.

But I will also throw in Voivod. They always seemed to change styles right BEFORE it become popular.

Gotta' :love: King's X and Voivoid.

Also, Hum and Failure. :cool:

And Trouble was both before and after their time, IMO.

I've never been a hair rock/metal fan other than some of the shredders and more heavy rock-oriented, but one band called Last Crack had a couple songs I thought sounded really cool.

• Members

I {censored}ing love the Darkness. :thu: Their second CD, not so much, though. It's a shame their singer burnt out, he kicked ass. :(

I think these guys were just a little behind: [YOUTUBE]KaQW65bVzaE[/YOUTUBE]

It's {censored}ing SHOTGUN MESSIAH. :mad:

• Members

I'll plus one King's X, Voivod and Damn The Machine - that DTM record is STILL {censored}ing amazing. Great songwriting, great playing - I actually saw Voivod and DTM at the last show at One Step Beyond in Santa Clara. {censored}ing killer.

I'd say Frank Marino as well. For some reason he just never caught on, but he's a bad mother{censored}er. Also, GTR, as silly as some of their schtick was, wrote SMOKIN hard rock songs, and featured Steve Howe and Steve Hackett. Howe's other grab for radio, Asia, never did as well as I thought they should have over the long haul. For a band with three bona fide hits, they've disappeared completely from the retro landscape.

• Members

OK, Let's pretend Kings-X had a mega selling record.

'boo hoo, Kings-X was ok until that sellout {censored} they did, then it was all downhill'

I think the same could be said for any band that hasn't made it and for most that have. It's not that them not making it big was a disappointment to me, but at least they were one of the bands that seemed worthy of some recognition, IMO.

• Members

totally agree with King's X, but it's not for lack of trying. Atlantic tried pushing them in the late 80's-early 90's (I remember the "It's Love" video was played on headbangers ball) but they were just a little too different to catch on.

Another band I think was ahead of thier time was Urge Overkill. Probably too quiriky to ever break into the really big time, but they flirted with it. "Sister Havana" is a killer song that for whatever reason didn't catch on. Thier cover of "Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon" was heavily featured in Pulp Fiction but even that failed to garner them much attention.

• Members

It's {censored}ing SHOTGUN MESSIAH.
:mad:

Shotgun Messaih, definitely!!

Their debut album hit smack dab when Hair Metal was hot. No pulse.

Then, they release the beyond-excellent "Second Coming" album just as Sleeze Metal (GnR, Faster Pussycat, et al) were hitting big. Again, no impact.

Lastly, they released the sledgehammer "Violent New Breed" just as Industrial Metal was the in thing. This album is amazing, and earned Kerrang's highest honours. It was as good as any early NIN album, but failed to make a dent.

Damn shame they broke up shortly thereafter. :cry:

Archived