O/T: Bands that missed the boat...

petejt

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's funny we are listing bands thatreally did have some measure of success...but anyway...here's mine:

Riot

Not QR, just Riot.

Swords & Tequila----Narita...look it up!

Helluva hard rock band....Then later on the displayed some dman fine metal.

When you mention it people go: "Quiet Riot?"...no just Riot. "Who?"

• Members

Tad
Goatsnake
Prong
Testament
Angel City
Truth and Janey

I'd also say The Melvins, but those were the guys that pretty much pushed the boat out into the ocean, so to speak. They influenced so much awesome music, but its hard for a lot of people to get into them....which is weird, because they have awesome songs for every genre, not just hard rock stuff.

• Members

T-Ride

Hell, yes. Good call. I also nominate King's X (who should be one of the best known bands alive today) & dada (whose stellar talent, musicianship, & songcraft all added up to the kiss of death, thanks to grunge's rise to prominence just as they were breaking out nationally.

• Members

i love these guys...awesome band.

Mark told me that Raging Slab was in the studio recording thier first album at the same time Badlands was recording their first. Mark had (and still does have) a Tele that was strung with 13's that they called "The Pig" that they used to record the rhythm tracks. Jake E. Lee was fond of it and used to borrow it on a regular basis so it is no doubt heard on both records.

• Members

I always kind of wondered what would have happened to say Winger if Beavis & Butthead didn't happen...and Grunge didn't come along....Extreme got screwed as well when they got lumped into the hair band thing. One of my all time favorite bands had a hard enough time

Slash's Snakepit...go check out his discs with any version of this band. They were insane. The first version was so good and was selling so well that the record co. stopped promoting it because they wanted him with GNR and were afraid he would leave permanently....this was before he officially did. The second was on a smaller label, when the industry was in the toilet and he got no promotion. The disc is crazy good. I saw him at a small place in NYC and they rocked as hard as you could imagine, yet it was like know one on the streets even knew he was even making music outside of GNR. Two great discs.

• Members
It's funny we are listing bands thatreally did have some measure of success...but anyway...here's mine:

Riot

Not QR, just Riot.

Swords & Tequila----Narita...look it up!

Helluva hard rock band....Then later on the displayed some dman fine metal.

When you mention it people go: "Quiet Riot?"...no just Riot. "Who?"

oh {censored} yeah

they kick ass

troublehead is a big fan of them as well :thu:

• Members

I always kind of wondered what would have happened to say Winger if Beavis & Butthead didn't happen...and Grunge didn't come along....Extreme got screwed as well when they got lumped into the hair band thing. One of my all time favorite bands had a hard enough time

Slash's Snakepit...go check out his discs with any version of this band. They were insane. The first version was so good and was selling so well that the record co. stopped promoting it because they wanted him with GNR and were afraid he would leave permanently....this was before he officially did. The second was on a smaller label, when the industry was in the toilet and he got no promotion. The disc is crazy good. I saw him at a small place in NYC and they rocked as hard as you could imagine, yet it was like know one on the streets even knew he was even making music outside of GNR. Two great discs.

Might just be me...but I always thought Extreme suffered from horrid singing. Not that he was BAD bad. But the cut of the jib didn't jibe. I'm all for challenging yourself in music listening, but it just seemed like Extreme fought itself.

You seem VERY willing to blame...er...."success" (as if we think Extreme wasn;t :rolleyes:) on promotion or management. Well...certainly it has SOMETHING to do with that....and if we (the audience or POTENTIAL audience) are SO swayed by what the suits tell us, then WE deserve everything that happens. We SHOULD be savvy enough to make the suits cave in to OUR demands...not the other way around.

I know that I am not quite as succinct in my point as I should be....but you should be smart enough to catch my drift.

Slash's Snakepit...imho, was given EVERY chance to go off the charts (Extreme too...and they did...I'm a little :idk: at your choices). At one point, even if briefly, you could hardly pick up ANY magazine, be it Guitar Player or RS and any point between w/o seeing SLASH'S SNAKEPIT somewhere on it. It didn't...and that's the way Rock & Roll rolls.

Now take Riot back in the early 80's.....No print, no push no nothing. They still managed a measure of success, but not what they really deserved.

Again, just mho, not trying to fight.

• Members

Props to the guys who mentioned Trouble and COC.

Some other bands, not necesarrily behing the curve, but should have been a lot bigger than they got.

The Bottle Rockets, April Wine, The Refreshments, Shades Apart, and Skew Siskin.

Again...I disagree with the choice...April Wine?

HUGE!

I guess some of this is a location division. Where I'm from....April Wine rocked the house, played constantly on the radio and high school proms.

• Members

Damn the Machine had some great prog metal stuff going on and one of my favorite straight up thrash bands ever - Forced Entry. I absolutely loved both of those bands and never did understand why they didn't break big...

One of the worst vids ever, but such a cool song :facepalm: m/:mad:m/
[YOUTUBE]6RVJxkLBe1w[/YOUTUBE]

DTM :thu:
[YOUTUBE]w9R2VQUOa6U[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

1.Keel

2.Faith No More---they had one song and it was awful but they always come up as this revolutionary band blah blah. They were ghey when they came out and I still cannot stand that guys vocals.

3. Living Color-- another band with one song that had the single worst guitar solo ever recorded. But everyone remembers them.... but I think they completely missed the boat.

• Members

Might just be me...but I always thought Extreme suffered from horrid singing. Not that he was BAD bad. But the cut of the jib didn't jibe. I'm all for challenging yourself in music listening, but it just seemed like Extreme fought itself.

You seem VERY willing to blame...er...."success" (as if we think Extreme wasn;t
:rolleyes:
) on promotion or management. Well...certainly it has SOMETHING to do with that....and if we (the audience or POTENTIAL audience) are SO swayed by what the suits tell us, then WE deserve everything that happens. We SHOULD be savvy enough to make the suits cave in to OUR demands...not the other way around.

I know that I am not quite as succinct in my point as I should be....but you should be smart enough to catch my drift.

Slash's Snakepit...imho, was given EVERY chance to go off the charts (Extreme too...and they did...I'm a little
:idk:
at your choices). At one point, even if briefly, you could hardly pick up ANY magazine, be it Guitar Player or RS and any point between w/o seeing SLASH'S SNAKEPIT somewhere on it. It didn't...and that's the way Rock & Roll rolls.

Now take Riot back in the early 80's.....No print, no push no nothing. They still managed a measure of success, but not what they really deserved.

Again, just mho, not trying to fight.

Um, no. I am saying nothing of Extreme's success. They were very successful, but they were lumped in with hair bands, which they were not, except they did have hair and Nuno could play guitar. Most people did not know because if you weren't a fan and didn't have their albums you would have a clue how diverse their music was. They WERE, however, successful.

Slash, is and was super successful. Snakepit's first album was too successful. Read what I wrote. It was in his book. His record company pulled his support, to get him back with GNR. That is not my opinion. As for his second album, I happen to know the second company and due to my last job had inside information regarding what he also said in his book about the second co. As such, I know that what he said is true and that they didn't push the disc. {censored}, I am a huge fan of his, and I didn't even know that it was out, and I worked in a capacity that I had contact with his own labels PRESIDENT.

I am also not "blaming" anything on anyone. I am merely curious what would have happened if people just didn't go by fads and listened to what they liked. For instance, the bands I mentioned, like Winger and Extreme were selling out everywhere at the time..pregrunge as were Poison and all those bands. Then nothing. Gone. No sales. Did all those people just stop listening to them or were they afraid that they wouldn't look cool anymore because it "wasn't in anymore?" That is all I am saying. Now all those bands are coming back. I think that is interesting. Slash never really went away. Nuno always had a career and is living better than most of us. Trust me, I am not really all that worried.

• Members

Alot of great bands listed here.

+1 on TNT

Knights of The New Thunder and Tell No Tales are awesome.

UFO should have been way bigger.

Anybody hear of Crack The Sky?
Mid seventies prog-pop. Most criminally overlooked band. First album was debut of the year in Rolling Stone in '75. First two albums are amazing.

Shudder To Think
Built To Spill

Archived