Opinions on new Gibsons

Daniel Kamerman

• Members

I think the new company that bought Gibson really revamped the Les Paul. I played a previous generation Custom in comparison to the new standard and it played like a dead hunk of lead compared to the new one. Much better fit and finish too. It will take Gibson a long time to win over the naysayers though.

I've had one of the new standards for a few days and it's completley flawless, any quality control issues that they may have had in the past have definately been sorted.

The chambering might put a few people off, but personally I don't think there is that great a difference in the tone. It's one of those things that you need to try out before you buy really.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've got a couple LPs now. My Standard has the 50's neck. It's big, but it's also really easy to play. You just adapt after a while. My new one (the classic w/ H90s) has the 60's neck, which is a bit thinner and may be closer to what the OP is used to playing on.

Standard:

l_67d83649238f15636cba306cfcc6e3ec.jpg

Classic:

l_d54421a84f5b440c9c649c564a2647a9.jpg

• Members

That Gibby with the P90's is secks.

:thu:

Both of 'em have that style pickup. The Standard has P94s (which are basically a P90 in the package that can fit in a humbucker spot on the LP). The Classic has H90s in it, which are push-pull single coil/humbuckers on the tone knob. Thing sounds awesome... It's cool with the pickup selector in the middle, the bridge pickup on single coil (volume knob = 7), the neck on humbucker (volume knob = 4), and clean thru the Budda. Friggin' sweet.

• Members

Sounds good, if I don't like it I can always turn around and sell it too, but I have a feeling I'll like it, I'm so used to Ibanez necks, playing this baseball bat of a neck might be kind of weird at first.

Actually the 60s necks are pretty comfy. A 50s neck is like a baseball bat alright, but I like thick necks for the added tone and sustain.

I sold the LP to a girl that was maybe 16 or 17 and had pixie sized hands at best[dad forked out the cash of course].

Theres an LP out there for everyone. Now go get it :p

• Members

I'm hopefully gonna go play it this weekend, but I'm gonna be in Arizona with the family until tomorrow. I might take a trip to Guitar center saturday night and try a bunch of 50's necks.

If you're looking for a good Gibby, check out www.wildwoodguitars.com. They're one of the biggest Gibson dealers in the U.S., and are located not too far away from where I'm at. The guitars they get are the pick of the litter (literally - the owner of the shop hand-picks each guitar they bring in). They're super cool guys to deal with too - really know their sh!t but aren't condescending at all.

• Members

What do you guys think of these? They look great and all the specs seem nice, but how are the newer Gibsons? And whats this whole deal with chambered and non chambered? Anyone care to educate me?

I can get one of these for a pretty good price. Worth it?

Play one and decide for yourself. Nobody on an internet board can tell you if a given guitar is "worth it".

That said, my personal experience is that the Custom Shop Gibsons are outstanding. I wouldn't pay for anything in the rest of the Gibson lineup - at least not the ones I've played.

• Members

If you're looking for a good Gibby, check out
www.wildwoodguitars.com
. They're one of the biggest Gibson dealers in the U.S., and are located not too far away from where I'm at. The guitars they get are the pick of the litter (literally - the owner of the shop hand-picks each guitar they bring in). They're super cool guys to deal with too - really know their sh!t but aren't condescending at all.

I'm looking to go used and I really can't spend that much on this.

• Members

Definitely play it before you buy. I think Gibson can make some great guitars but there are some out there that are just complete crap IMO. I had one of those fadeds....for a day. It wouldn't even intonate due to bad fret spacing.

My $200 MusicYo Kramer blew it away.

In any event I have yet to play a recent Gibson that I really liked. I own a '71 and owned an ~85 custom and those are the benchmark Gibsons to which I compared everything else from them. And the neck width(not thickness) has changed since then too.....they're slightly wider now.

• Members

Definitely play it before you buy. I think Gibson can make some great guitars but there are some out there that are just complete crap IMO. I had one of those fadeds....for a day. It wouldn't even intonate due to bad fret spacing.

My $200 MusicYo Kramer blew it away.

In any event I have yet to play a recent Gibson that I really liked. I own a '71 and owned an ~85 custom and those are the benchmark Gibsons to which I compared everything else from them. And the neck width(not thickness) has changed since then too.....they're slightly wider now.

No blind purchases, I'm definitely gonna give the guitar a good amount of time before I pull the trigger.

I'm just not sure I wanna shell out the insane prices people are asking for older ones.

• Members

that's my main guitar, I love it. The 50's neck is fatter but it's not that bad. I changed the pickups on mine for a JB/Jazz set. Great guitar.

newlp09.jpg

Can you post a side view of that neck? Ive never played a 50's style Les Paul neck. I have a Richie Kotzen tele thats pretty thick, Im wondering how it compares to that.

Im starting to dig the fat neck, Im mostly an Ibanez player, but man, that neck feels good.

I have big rat hands like Kotzen does, thats probably why...

100_0128.jpg

• Members

IMO Gibsons QC issues are way over hyped. Alot of people that make the QC claims you read about on the internet are just haters. That's what happens when you are the biggest and everyone critizies everything you do. Every guitar company has some occasional QC issues. You just hear about Gibsons more because bashing Gibson is the in thing to do for some people.

I've never had a problem with any Gibson I have owned and my Les Paul Custom and Classic are incredible flawless guitars.

If you can, stay away for the online places, Guitar Centers, etc... The best place to buy Gibsons IMO are the long time Gibson dealers and mom and pop stores.

• Members

I guess some don't realize you have to stretch new strings properly to get them to stay in tune.

I'm still amazed at the number of guitarists I meet that can't wind a string properly around the tuning peg. Sadly, most of them automatically blame the tuners for not being able to hold the rat nest of string windings.

Even the {censored}tiest, open gear tuners will hold tune if you wind the string properly. It's really not that hard. 2-3 wraps with no slack on the peg.

Archived